Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
jakesbox

drain holes

All

Just a quick question. I bought a bike brake cable as I was told on this forum that was a good tool to make sure the drain plugs were not clogged. Stuck it down in there after some rooting around...and seems like a very narrow hole for those plugs. It was the same on both sides.

Heres my question...and unless I was doing something I shouldnt (the cable when all the way down to the bottom)...how would forced air actually work Most of the threads say use forced air...I just dont see how that would work? The opening is big, but the actuall hole itself is very narrow...

Just a question. Any insight appreciated. I sure hope I found the right holes! AND NO I DID NOT JUST OPEN MYSELF UP FOR JOKES PEOPLE...

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

I use the brake cable and then follow with water from a garden hose. Not really high pressure, but I give the drains a good shot. If water drains out, then you should be ok.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
I use the brake cable and then follow with water from a garden hose. Not really high pressure, but I give the drains a good shot. If water drains out, then you should be ok.
But am I right the the hole you put the cable down is very small? I dont know why but from the way everyone makes it sound getting all gooped up by leaves and stuff that the hole would have been much bigger in diamater.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
Old 11-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

The holes at the top are about the size of a dime or a nickel. I don't know how much they narrow as they go down to the underside of the car.

The drains can get clogged when leaves dry out and break into pieces that fall down into the tubes. Eventually these pieces will stick together clog up the drain much like hair might clog the drain in a bathtub.

My drains were pretty clean. Even then I tested them by pouring water into the holes and watched how rapidly the water drained out the bottom. The water flowed quickly. After I saw all was well, I followed this up by installing two drain screens in that I ordered from Suncoast in the rear drains.

Last edited by thom4782; 11-06-2012 at 11:58 AM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #5

Trimer: the holes are indeed very small, almost the diameter of a pencil, hence the large amount of clogging issues.

PLEASE everyone go clean your drain holes, a wet M53 is the most annoying thing ever! and potentially very expensive!
ccstud17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
jakesbox

I need to find a pic of the front ones so I can do those. I did not see any issues or clogs in mine in the back so that is good!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #7

Check this link...you'll see pictures as you scroll down:

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/drainsdiagram
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:10 AM   #8

I pour a little water in the holes first, then I use my air compressor to blow the remainder out. You do not want to damage them, then you will have a bigger problem. The ones inside your top area can cause water to enter the cabin, be very careful with those. Once cleaned, I simulate a nasty down pour. I pour a bout quart of water through each, if flows nicely, the drains are open, if not, then clean them again.:dance:

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstud17 View Post
Trimer: the holes are indeed very small, almost the diameter of a pencil, hence the large amount of clogging issues.

PLEASE everyone go clean your drain holes, a wet M53 is the most annoying thing ever! and potentially very expensive!
what are these drain holes you speak of? i have never heard of them, where are they and how do i clean them? i love this forum-im learning so much about my boxster
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
what are these drain holes you speak of? i have never heard of them, where are they and how do i clean them? i love this forum-im learning so much about my boxster
See diagram of drain hole locations. (Courtesy of Mike Focke)
They are for rain drainage, if the drain holes behind the seats gets plugged up, you will get the carpet wet.
Not good for the electronics under the drivers seat.
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/drainsdiagram