Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
Murph

Replace blue roof with black + glass?

Im thinking of changing my ageing blue roof (on my lapis blue 99) with a brand new inky black roof with glass window, all fitted for just under $1500.

The company is in Surrey, England and have a great reputation, I think the new look would be great- what is your honest opinion on having black on blue going on?

so, it would look like this- Name:  LMwO1Xmn.jpg
Views: 3108
Size:  62.4 KB

decisions decisions....its a tough life...

Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #2

One thing about black it shows less dirt and wear over time. :dance:

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #3

I always disliked the blue roofs but you can't go wrong with the black.

Black is a good recessive color, or absence of color really because it then draws your eyes to the beautiful colored paint, curves and reflections of the car instead of drawing attention to the flat featureless non reflective roof.

Also something to note, I think the Glass window is significantly smaller so your rear view vision and blind spots will be affected.

I'd keep the bigger plastic window so you have better visibility of your surroundings when you are darting about.

The Plastic window is a safety feature in my opinion and you wont have to worry about a plate of glass flying about in an accident.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 09-19-2012 at 06:44 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #4

Can you use Renovo soft top reviver in another colour? I have a dark blue top and used this stuff with excellent results.

Was wondering if it would be ok using black next time but unsure how it would fare.
Nimbus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
I just installed a black GAHH top with glass rear window on my Guards Red car. Love it!

Black definitely holds up better than other colors in the sun. That may not be an issue in the UK though.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #6

Garage
you using the guys in Chessington ?
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #7

Black over blue would look VERY sharp. I have heard conflicting stands on glass windows in the early models...Something about access and room for glass.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #8

Blue top

My ocean blue box has the blue top. I really like the blue color because it is unique. I also have the metropol blue interior which complements the blue top. My box is garage kept so the top continues to look great for 13 years old. If I ever need to replace it I would opt for the blue top with glass window just to avoid doing the chop all the time.
Just my opinion.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Murph

Living the dream

Thanks all! :dance:

The company is called Car Hood Warehouse | UK's Number 1 for convertible car hoods and soft tops in Surrey | MAZDA, MGF, BMW, VW, PORSCHE in Surrey, I'm going to go for the black with the smaller glass, they custom build all their roofs to OEM Porsche specs.

Topless has a point- fun in the sun sun sun is all we know I even saw through the clouds today, to some more clouds hiding behind

Nimbus- I looked into some reviver for deep blue which had seen some good results but I'm terrified of ending up with a dodgy patchwork quilt on top

Ray - looking at the rear view from the inside I can see a significant drop in visibility as you said, about 30% less or so, although this seems a lot I spend most of my time grinning through the front anyway
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #10

I have a Ocean blue Boxster and I replaced my blue top with Gahh black one..
I think it looks much better, not sure it's because black is "black" and old top is faded.. but I love the look.

Go for it, you're not gonna regret it! Just give it a couple of weeks to get used to smaller window.

Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I never have been a fan of the GAHH tops. The rear window is smaller than the 2003-2004 OEM glass as pictured above (due to the roof design), and to me just looks odd. If I had the option I'd try to get a retrofit roof instead, as I find the rearward visibility in the OEM glass roofs to be pretty good (not as good as the plastic, though).
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #12

Here's how a blue car with black Gahh top looks like
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #13

Garage
Nice looking car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
My ocean blue box has the blue top. I really like the blue color because it is unique. I also have the metropol blue interior which complements the blue top. My box is garage kept so the top continues to look great for 13 years old. If I ever need to replace it I would opt for the blue top with glass window just to avoid doing the chop all the time.
Just my opinion.
It isn't unique; my 2000 looks identical to yours inside and out. I agree with you though I like the blue top too. If I need to replace it eventually I will probably go with blue again. It is holding up well and I recently polished out the rear window and treated the top with 303 so I don't think it's an issue for a few more years anyway.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #14

Hi Murph,
Was round at Car Hood yesterday talking to them about the replacement glass roof. I saw a 986 with a blue glass roof there. Looks really great!

The visibility is a little less, but not that bad. It looks lots better as its a heated nice clear piece of glass, so what you may lose in visibility, you gain in looks and a clear window!

Would firmly recommend these guys, my zenith blue is getting a blue and glass new roof this week :-)

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Im thinking of changing my ageing blue roof (on my lapis blue 99) with a brand new inky black roof with glass window, all fitted for just under $1500.

The company is in Surrey, England and have a great reputation, I think the new look would be great- what is your honest opinion on having black on blue going on?

so, it would look like this- Attachment 16564

decisions decisions....its a tough life...

cadskn is offline   Reply With Quote