Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
jakesbox

Tires

FINALLY getting my new hankooks put on as we speak with a balance and alignment! Fabspeed exhaust still on back order so hoping to hear something today to schedule it...

Next up making appt to get wheels powder coated black...then I AM DONE for a while.

Getting excited!

trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
My mom's 987 came with Hankook rubber. Let me know how it works out (will check with her as well), as I may switch from the Michelins I have on mine now when replacement time comes.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #3

Shouldn't you get the wheels powdercoated before tires mounted?

Nick
white out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #4

Should have had the wheels powder coated first, then have the new tires mounted and ROAD FORCE balanced.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
jakesbox

I will!

As for the powder coating, I thought the same thing and struggled with that, but the shop doing the tires charges me for the whole shabang no matter what as they are not a wholesaler. As well, when the wheels and tires go to the powder coater, they will reinstall and balance the tires there and if something happens to the rims, it is on them to fix vs having the wheels done and then taking them to the shop for install where they may chip the powder coat or something and then they are NOT on the hook to fix....

Clear as mud? In my head it all makes sense!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Ex Esso kid

Don't forget to look at the brakes while it's apart, just look at Jonny D's brakes as seen here.

http://i.imgur.com/XlrLp.jpg
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #7

I'm loving my new Hankook v12's.

They have yet to loose grip on the road where my Pilot Sports did, and they are not really borken in properly until you have 200-300 miles so it will get a bit better yet.

I already notice a smoother ride as well and perhaps even a bit less tire noise at speed.

You'll love the Hankooks if you have not tried them before.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #8

Funny, that was my first thought too - why get the tires installed and then get the powder coating, but your plan makes perfect sense once it's explained. It pays to think things through.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I'm loving my new Hankook v12's.

They have yet to loose grip on the road where my Pilot Sports did, and they are not really borken in properly until you have 200-300 miles so it will get a bit better yet.

I already notice a smoother ride as well and perhaps even a bit less tire noise at speed.

You'll love the Hankooks if you have not tried them before.
i run on the V12 myself.
only thing is killing me, is the flat spot or whatever you call it.
i drive my car once or twice a week (sometimes even once in two weeks).
for the first 100 mi, the car is shaking like a crazy.
the first time it happen (a month after i bought the tires) i toke it to the tire shop and got them balanced again. car drove like a dream, until the next time i parked it for 2 weeks. wondering if it happen to some of you guys with the Hankook or other tires.
im thinking about moving to the Michelin, but not sure if that i will solve the problem.
other then that, the Henkook's are great. very comfortable (got 18") excellent grip and cost half of the Michelin.
but i would pay the differences if it will solve my problem. i can't go balance my wheels once a month.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
i run on the V12 myself.
only thing is killing me, is the flat spot or whatever you call it.
i drive my car once or twice a week (sometimes even once in two weeks).
for the first 100 mi, the car is shaking like a crazy.the first time it happen (a month after i bought the tires) i toke it to the tire shop and got them balanced again. car drove like a dream, until the next time i parked it for 2 weeks. wondering if it happen to some of you guys with the Hankook or other tires.
im thinking about moving to the Michelin, but not sure if that i will solve the problem.
other then that, the Henkook's are great. very comfortable (got 18") excellent grip and cost half of the Michelin.
but i would pay the differences if it will solve my problem. i can't go balance my wheels once a month.
Flatspotting should not be this severe. What are your tire pressures? Try increasing 2 PSI. See if that helps. Rears especially.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #11

You could try boosting the tire pressure to 55 lbs while it is sitting, as per the long term storage recommendation in the owners manual, and drop it back down to your normal level when you want to drive it. It may help prevent flat-spotting. You could also pick up a set of tire cradles to park the car on and see if that helps. Welcome to TireCradle
Old 09-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
jakesbox

I think the recommendation is to drive the piss out of the car...that will prevent flat spots! I never heard of those tire cradles. I grew up 15 minutes from where those were tested. Looks like they work. I am in Florida so temp change is minimal in the garage. I drive my car at least once a day if possible so I have not really experienced it. However, I did not have this car last winter...even though it is a Florida winter...it does get chilly at night and we do have some freezing temps a couple days. I might give these a try for sure!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #13

I agree, I have Hankook V12's on mine and love them. Very quiet, comfortable and grippy. For 1/2 the cost of Michelin, i say it's a really good tire. If I have a little extra money next time I need tires, I would go for the Michelin though based upon their company history and the type of cars these tires go on.
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
jakesbox

Well, picked the car up. Love the look of these tires. Drove well on the way home...absolutely cut noise down from what I had and felt really solid. I had this place do an alignment as well. Now, before everyone jumps on me for that, I asked them a TON of questions...including what equipment they use. Oddly enough, when they opened shop, they went and looked at Brumos Porsches (local dealer) equipment and bought the same equipment. They have a guy that has done these before.

So needless to say, the aligment with coupon was $68 vs Brumos who wants over $200...

The car drove very very straight and felt perfect! I took a pic of my mileage before I went in as well and dropped it off...they did not put any miles on it and when I came to pick it up, they had the car sitting on the side of the building where there are no parking spaces and away from any possible traffic so that made me very happy.

I am a freak about my cars...this is the second time I have gone to this particular shop and they have been great both times (my daily is a Honda Accord and had new tires and alignment done before. Free rotation, balancing ANYTIME I need it and if a tire blows or is popped and they cant fix it, they give a new tire at zero cost.

The shop I believe is a Florida thing...it is suntire. Great guys and great prices. All together, $721. Take off old, put on new, balance, alignment, etc.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Don't forget to look at the brakes while it's apart, just look at Jonny D's brakes as seen here.

http://i.imgur.com/XlrLp.jpg

Had to be a deaf person driving that car.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
Well, picked the car up. Love the look of these tires. Drove well on the way home...absolutely cut noise down from what I had and felt really solid. I had this place do an alignment as well. Now, before everyone jumps on me for that, I asked them a TON of questions...including what equipment they use. Oddly enough, when they opened shop, they went and looked at Brumos Porsches (local dealer) equipment and bought the same equipment. They have a guy that has done these before.

So needless to say, the aligment with coupon was $68 vs Brumos who wants over $200...

The car drove very very straight and felt perfect! I took a pic of my mileage before I went in as well and dropped it off...they did not put any miles on it and when I came to pick it up, they had the car sitting on the side of the building where there are no parking spaces and away from any possible traffic so that made me very happy.

I am a freak about my cars...this is the second time I have gone to this particular shop and they have been great both times (my daily is a Honda Accord and had new tires and alignment done before. Free rotation, balancing ANYTIME I need it and if a tire blows or is popped and they cant fix it, they give a new tire at zero cost.

The shop I believe is a Florida thing...it is suntire. Great guys and great prices. All together, $721. Take off old, put on new, balance, alignment, etc.
I'm guessing $68 did not include the before & after printout of the alignment settings that shows what was actually done like Brumos does.
Be wary of comparing old tires that you are willing to pay money to replace with new tires that have just been balanced.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #17

I'll say this about the Michelins: I store the car on flat concrete for about 5 months over the winter at temps sometimes as cold as -40. I pump the tires up to 55 psi and each month I rotate them a quarter turn. I have no flat spot when I pull it out in the spring.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_t View Post
i'll say this about the michelins: I store the car on flat concrete for about 5 months over the winter at temps sometimes as cold as -40. I pump the tires up to 55 psi and each month i rotate them a quarter turn. I have no flat spot when i pull it out in the spring.
+987.......
Old 09-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I'm guessing $68 did not include the before & after printout of the alignment settings that shows what was actually done like Brumos does.
Be wary of comparing old tires that you are willing to pay money to replace with new tires that have just been balanced.
It sure didnt! But I am happy with the outcome...
Old 09-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I am cracking up right now. Just took my car out and actually on the front seat is the read out of before and after...I had no idea that they put that in my car. thats funny.
Attached Images