Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,290
Emergency hood release - cable towing hook

Darn it!

I was taking my took hook out and lost my emerg. release cable....exactly what I didn't want. It had spring to it and slipped away under the bumper cover in the dark and cold....no place to remove the cover right now..

Any ideas on how to get it back to the toe hole? It hard to get light on anything behind there. If I remove the trim piece above the cover would I be able work it? Can't remember it's been so long
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In the garage...
Posts: 1,563
Correct, just pull the trim piece out above. From there, you'll have access to the whole lock mechanism and find the cable connected to it. Using a small stiff metal wire (like straightened dry cleaning shirt hanger), put a small hook in the end and feed it in from the bumper cover tow plug hole thru the bumper support. Use a flashlight looking down from above and hook the emergency release cable w/ the hanger and pull it back thru.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Correct, just pull the trim piece out above. From there, you'll have access to the whole lock mechanism and find the cable connected to it. Using a small stiff metal wire (like straightened dry cleaning shirt hanger), put a small hook in the end and feed it in from the bumper cover tow plug hole thru the bumper support. Use a flashlight looking down from above and hook the emergency release cable w/ the hanger and pull it back thru.
Awesome thanks Burg! I will give it a try....

Oh yes I owe you some amplifier info!
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered User
 
thom4782's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Foster City CA
Posts: 1,085
I have a question before I relocate the emergency hood release cable so I can access it through the tow hook cap in the bumper cover.

As I interpret the threads on this topic, one pulls the cable through the threaded two hook hole in the bumper. If I am reading the instructions correctly, how does one attach the tow hook itself if the cable is through the threaded hole? I would think one couldn't attach the two hook to the car unless one pushed the release cable out the back side of the threaded hole.

Alternatively, I could pass the cable over the bumper through the two hook hole in the bumper cover and attach it to the tow hook plug. That way the cable won't pass through the threaded hole in the bumper itself.

I'd welcome any suggestions.

Thanks
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Registered User
 
thom4782's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Foster City CA
Posts: 1,085
Let me ask my question in a different way to those who have relocated their emergency hood release cable through the threaded tow hole.

If you tow the car, do you simply push the cable out the back of the hole to make room to screw the tow hook into the bumper and then reroute the cable back through the hole after the tow?

My concern is this. The cable gets pushed out the back of the hole for towing. For some reason the electric release won't work afterward. Then I can't find the cable because its now flopping around somewhere behind the bumper.

Any ideas / suggestions?
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 308
If THE reason for relocating the emergency hood release is for a quick access when the battery is drained, then carrying a small backup 12V battery that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter so that the electrical hood release can be use seems to be cleaner solution.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,107
Garage
I relocated mine a bit farther to the side, underneath the side turn lamp and secured it so it cannot slide down. This removes the issues of when you need to use the tow hook. And is just as accessible, the lamp pops off easily.

If you remove the headlight and have tiny hands, you may be able to reach down and grab it to place back by the tow hook opening.
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Registered User
 
thom4782's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Foster City CA
Posts: 1,085
Wow, great idea. I'll give it a look and see if I can do that too. Thanks
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
Registered User
 
tonycarreon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box View Post
If THE reason for relocating the emergency hood release is for a quick access when the battery is drained, then carrying a small backup 12V battery that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter so that the electrical hood release can be use seems to be cleaner solution.
where would you keep the battery? passenger seat?
__________________
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you."
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
Registered User
 
kjc2050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 847
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
where would you keep the battery? passenger seat?
You could put a Jump 'N Carry behind the passenger seat.
__________________
2000 Boxster S, 6 speed, Sport Package, Litronics, LED tail lights, LNE IMS-B, OBC, Skybreaker wind deflector, Arctic Silver/Graphite Grey
kjc2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #11
Registered User
 
thom4782's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Foster City CA
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Let me ask my question in a different way to those who have relocated their emergency hood release cable through the threaded tow hole.

If you tow the car, do you simply push the cable out the back of the hole to make room to screw the tow hook into the bumper and then reroute the cable back through the hole after the tow?

My concern is this. The cable gets pushed out the back of the hole for towing. For some reason the electric release won't work afterward. Then I can't find the cable because its now flopping around somewhere behind the bumper.

As mentioned at the beginning, time will tell if this is a clever idea or not. What do you think?

Any ideas / suggestions?

Hi all:

Resurrecting this old thread to put forth an idea that might work.

Recall, I relocated my emergency cable to the tow hook hole. At the time I was concerned on how to re-thread the cable back through the hole once it get pushed back behind it when screwing in the tow hook. So here is my idea and time will tell if it works.

First I drilled 1/8" hole about 1/2" deep in the end of the hook. Next, I mixed up some JB Weld and filled in the hole with the mixture. Then, I inserted a medium eye screw into the hole and let it set for 15 hours. See pictures

The general idea is this. The release cable is stored in the tow hook hole. When I need to use the tow hook, I pull the cable forward and tie s short string between the eye screw and the cable loop. Then I push the cable back into the hole and screw in the tow hook. The string twists so I avoid the problem of a twisted cable. When done, I just reverse the process and pull the cable back through the tow hook hole, untie the string and restore the cable. The string stays with the tp\ow hook so it doesn't rot by getting wet behind the bumper cover.






__________________
'87 951
'01S 986 (Sold after 16 years ownership)
'78 924 (carburated; sold when moving to CA)
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:28 AM   #12
Registered User
 
mikesz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cranston RI
Posts: 853
Garage
I have a 99 and swapped the front bumper with one from a 996 when I added center S radiator. I just zip tied the cable underneath so all I have to do is cut the zip tie and pull the cable. Putting it through the tow hook is a good idea.
__________________
99 Porsche Boxster
mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:43 AM   #13
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,308
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Hi all:

Resurrecting this old thread to put forth an idea that might work.

Recall, I relocated my emergency cable to the tow hook hole. At the time I was concerned on how to re-thread the cable back through the hole once it get pushed back behind it when screwing in the tow hook. So here is my idea and time will tell if it works.

First I drilled 1/8" hole about 1/2" deep in the end of the hook. Next, I mixed up some JB Weld and filled in the hole with the mixture. Then, I inserted a medium eye screw into the hole and let it set for 15 hours. See pictures

The general idea is this. The release cable is stored in the tow hook hole. When I need to use the tow hook, I pull the cable forward and tie s short string between the eye screw and the cable loop. Then I push the cable back into the hole and screw in the tow hook. The string twists so I avoid the problem of a twisted cable. When done, I just reverse the process and pull the cable back through the tow hook hole, untie the string and restore the cable. The string stays with the tp\ow hook so it doesn't rot by getting wet behind the bumper cover.






Good idea.
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #14
Registered User
 
thom4782's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Foster City CA
Posts: 1,085
Hi all:

Here is the final design. It works like this.
  • Pull loop end of the rope through the release cable loop until the cable loop is near the bottom of the tow hook.
  • Pull the large tow hook eye through the rope loop and keep pulling until the cable loop and the rope loop come together.
  • Now you're ready to push the release cable back though the tow hook hole and screw in the tow hook
__________________
'87 951
'01S 986 (Sold after 16 years ownership)
'78 924 (carburated; sold when moving to CA)
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page