Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #1

dead battery...Procedure to replace battery

have a dead battery on my '01.current voltage of battery is 5V and low oil & low battery volt warning lights are on.Car has remote key lock

Does 12v need to maintained when swapping for new battery.I am not worried about it messing up radio settings but does removing battery affect any critical function or car alarm.

tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #2

Garage
No, 12v does not need to be maintained unless you want to keep your settings. Removing the battery powers off everything electrical, so the alarm would not work, until you put a new battery in.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
After you replace the battery you will need to:

Enter your radio code

Roll your windows the whole way up, then release the buttons and push again for a second or so.

Reset your egas. Without touching gas pedal, turn key on for a minute or so, then turn off for more than 10 seconds.

Wal Mart has the correct battery.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
Homeboy981

Garage
I picked up an Energizer bunny battery from Sams.

Don't forget to leave your frunk open! I place a piece of styrofoam OVER the front latch so it cannot shut. Also, that reminds me to re-connect the battery.

Don't be afraid to disconnect it/replace it. Just do it right! I have disconnected my battery at least 30 times doing "upgrades".

@Paul - Didn't know about the eGas thing….does it reset itself by itself? Because I have not been performing that particular step. Any downside or does egas system re-adjust?

Learn something new everyday!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenere View Post
have a dead battery on my '01.current voltage of battery is 5V and low oil & low battery volt warning lights are on.Car has remote key lock

Does 12v need to maintained when swapping for new battery.I am not worried about it messing up radio settings but does removing battery affect any critical function or car alarm.
Nope. Just need to drive it about 60 miles or so for it to reprogram to your driving style.

I did a write-up on the battery that should be used in our cars. Best one out there is the EverStart® Battery MAXX-94R which is carried at Wal-Mart.

986 Battery Group

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.

Last edited by Jaak; 10-15-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote