Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #1

where does this plug into? *urgent*

Opened up my engine today to see if I could solve my 2 engine code which comes on about once every 2 weeks. The codes are P0171 and P0174, which says my engine is running lean. I noticed these 2 things not plugged into anything. Where do these 2 ends plug into?

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Try to use this diagram:
Porsche Boxster Air Injection Parts
Looks like the line should be connected to Part 19 on one side, and 21 on the other.
A little bit hard to get from your pic.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #3

Nice diagram, but I don't think that's it.

The first picture has 2 tubes connected to it and the black and white part is just dangling there. The nipple portion looks like it should connect to something.

On the second picture that tube comes from one of the tubes from the first picture.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
Opened up my engine today to see if I could solve my 2 engine code which comes on about once every 2 weeks. The codes are P0171 and P0174, which says my engine is running lean. I noticed these 2 things not plugged into anything. Where do these 2 ends plug into?

So the one way check valve is connected to your intake manifold. There is a little nipple off the right side of the throttle body on the plastic intake manifold insert and it pushes into that. In the picture, the way your holding the valve is pretty much pointing right too it. Between the TB and that hose clamp, around towards the bottom. As far as the other vacuum line there is a couple different places that can hook up too, but they both are related to secondary air and can cause lean faults. PM me if you have any questions.
stephe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Nice diagram, but I don't think that's it.

The first picture has 2 tubes connected to it and the black and white part is just dangling there. The nipple portion looks like it should connect to something.

On the second picture that tube comes from one of the tubes from the first picture.
Meir is right. those tunes are part of the SAI which is what the diagram shows. follow the diagram and get them plugged into the right places. if some are are not staying out then you might need some new parts.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #6

Garage
That line should push into a rubber 90, somewhere that you can barely see and will take some detective work. I think it plugs into an electronic actuator on the bank under the intake manifold.
stephe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #7

Thanks for all the reply. I found where the black and white thing plugs into(first picture). Looks like I need to do some detective work this weekend and remove the left intake manifold to see where the tube connects to (2nd picture.)
Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Meir is right. those tunes are part of the SAI which is what the diagram shows. follow the diagram and get them plugged into the right places. if some are are not staying out then you might need some new parts.
Thank you.

The reason why I didn't think the diagram was correct was because the short distance between the Y piece (#21) and #22 in the first picture I posted.

But in the diagram Meir posted, there is a 240mm tube that connects the check valve(#22) to the Y piece(#21).
Old 10-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #9

Fixed!

Found out where the other end goes and it totally smoothed out my engine. I was experiencing slow rpm drop when revving in idle and a little idle fluctuation when coming to a stop. Everything is super smooth and acceleration seems to be much better and smooth now. Car feels totally different!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #10

I did the whole SAI surgery and everytime i looked at the diagram it was confusing. I actually kept the old connections intact and had to go back to it for reference when installing the new parts. I think I need to grow more brain cells.

Check all the Y and L tubes (rubber, not plastic ones). SOme disintegrate at the joints and cause leaks as I found out.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
Tricolour

Quote:
Fixed!

Found out where the other end goes and it totally smoothed out my engine. I was experiencing slow rpm drop when revving in idle and a little idle fluctuation when coming to a stop. Everything is super smooth and acceleration seems to be much better and smooth now. Car feels totally different!!!
Good work,

Can you tell us where it plugs in?

tricolour is offline   Reply With Quote