Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: so cali
Posts: 302
where does this plug into? *urgent*

Opened up my engine today to see if I could solve my 2 engine code which comes on about once every 2 weeks. The codes are P0171 and P0174, which says my engine is running lean. I noticed these 2 things not plugged into anything. Where do these 2 ends plug into?


ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,581
Garage
Try to use this diagram:
Porsche Boxster Air Injection Parts
Looks like the line should be connected to Part 19 on one side, and 21 on the other.
A little bit hard to get from your pic.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: so cali
Posts: 302
Nice diagram, but I don't think that's it.

The first picture has 2 tubes connected to it and the black and white part is just dangling there. The nipple portion looks like it should connect to something.

On the second picture that tube comes from one of the tubes from the first picture.
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 39
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
Opened up my engine today to see if I could solve my 2 engine code which comes on about once every 2 weeks. The codes are P0171 and P0174, which says my engine is running lean. I noticed these 2 things not plugged into anything. Where do these 2 ends plug into?


So the one way check valve is connected to your intake manifold. There is a little nipple off the right side of the throttle body on the plastic intake manifold insert and it pushes into that. In the picture, the way your holding the valve is pretty much pointing right too it. Between the TB and that hose clamp, around towards the bottom. As far as the other vacuum line there is a couple different places that can hook up too, but they both are related to secondary air and can cause lean faults. PM me if you have any questions.
stephe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
Nice diagram, but I don't think that's it.

The first picture has 2 tubes connected to it and the black and white part is just dangling there. The nipple portion looks like it should connect to something.

On the second picture that tube comes from one of the tubes from the first picture.
Meir is right. those tunes are part of the SAI which is what the diagram shows. follow the diagram and get them plugged into the right places. if some are are not staying out then you might need some new parts.
__________________
*********************************
2012 Panamera 4
2010 Boxster
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 39
Garage
That line should push into a rubber 90, somewhere that you can barely see and will take some detective work. I think it plugs into an electronic actuator on the bank under the intake manifold.
stephe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: so cali
Posts: 302
Thanks for all the reply. I found where the black and white thing plugs into(first picture). Looks like I need to do some detective work this weekend and remove the left intake manifold to see where the tube connects to (2nd picture.)
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: so cali
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Meir is right. those tunes are part of the SAI which is what the diagram shows. follow the diagram and get them plugged into the right places. if some are are not staying out then you might need some new parts.
Thank you.

The reason why I didn't think the diagram was correct was because the short distance between the Y piece (#21) and #22 in the first picture I posted.

But in the diagram Meir posted, there is a 240mm tube that connects the check valve(#22) to the Y piece(#21).
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: so cali
Posts: 302
Fixed!

Found out where the other end goes and it totally smoothed out my engine. I was experiencing slow rpm drop when revving in idle and a little idle fluctuation when coming to a stop. Everything is super smooth and acceleration seems to be much better and smooth now. Car feels totally different!!!
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 513
I did the whole SAI surgery and everytime i looked at the diagram it was confusing. I actually kept the old connections intact and had to go back to it for reference when installing the new parts. I think I need to grow more brain cells.

Check all the Y and L tubes (rubber, not plastic ones). SOme disintegrate at the joints and cause leaks as I found out.
__________________
*********************************
2012 Panamera 4
2010 Boxster
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
Tricolour
 
tricolour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
Fixed!

Found out where the other end goes and it totally smoothed out my engine. I was experiencing slow rpm drop when revving in idle and a little idle fluctuation when coming to a stop. Everything is super smooth and acceleration seems to be much better and smooth now. Car feels totally different!!!
Good work,

Can you tell us where it plugs in?
tricolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page