Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #1

Floor Jacks

After my weekend Brake fluid flush I realized it would be better to use a floor jack instead of the Boxster jack just to make it a bit easier and to avoid skinned knuckles.

1.5 tons = 3000 lbs which will support an entire 2750 lb boxster if necessary. Should be enough to get jack stands under the car and certainly enough to lift the wheels.

What do you think about this one? Comments? Suggestions?

Pit crew quality design, machined from lightweight aircraft aluminum with a sapphire anodized finish
Industrial quality for professional mechanics and hardcore automotive enthusiasts
Rapid Pump® exclusive dual parallel pump system lifts with far fewer pumps
Universal joint release provides precise load control in any handle position
Meets international quality standards
Two piece knurled aluminum handle for a sure grip, equipped with foam bumper to prevent damage to vehicle finish
Rubber saddle pad to prevent marring
Compact size for easy placement

Minimum saddle height: 3-3/8"
Maximum saddle height:14-3/4"
Pumps (under max load) to max height: 5
Overall dimensions: 22-13/16" L x 9-7/16" W
Tool weight: 26.8 lbs.

Video Is that a Cayman in the video?

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 10-01-2012 at 06:23 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #2

Looks like it will work fine. The jack will likely never have to support even half of the cars weight. One of the advantages to the drive-line layout of our cars is that the CG is close enough to the jack point just ahead of the rear tire that one side of the car can be raised with one sturdy jack located at that point.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #3

I have basically the same floor jack except mine is not a rapid pump.
I had the jack for over two years now and it leaked oil for the first time about a month ago. I replaced the oil and it seems to be fine for now.

When I thought I had to get a new jack, I did some research. Every single aluminum floor jack I looked at, regardless of the "name" on the jack label was made in China. I am almost certain that all aluminum jacks from China are made by Torin.

If you go to HF store, look at the jack label and see if you can find a phone number on the label for service. Call to verify if the number connects you to Torin. If so, you can get replacement parts for the jack WHEN it goes bad.

Many people will tell you that a jack is a throw away tool now days. Considering how inexpensive they are, that may be true. However, it appears that if you buy a Torin jack, you might be able to get the parts.
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang View Post
I have basically the same floor jack except mine is not a rapid pump.
I had the jack for over two years now and it leaked oil for the first time about a month ago. I replaced the oil and it seems to be fine for now.

When I thought I had to get a new jack, I did some research. Every single aluminum floor jack I looked at, regardless of the "name" on the jack label was made in China. I am almost certain that all aluminum jacks from China are made by Torin.

If you go to HF store, look at the jack label and see if you can find a phone number on the label for service. Call to verify if the number connects you to Torin. If so, you can get replacement parts for the jack WHEN it goes bad.

Many people will tell you that a jack is a throw away tool now days. Considering how inexpensive they are, that may be true. However, it appears that if you buy a Torin jack, you might be able to get the parts.

In most cases the things that wear out (like seals and o-rings) can be bought locally or through companies like Mid-Atlantic rubber
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #5

Garage
I have this same exact jack. Works fine! I got mine at harbor freight for 59.95 a couple of years ago. It sits on the floor of my garage unused most of the time. It's never leaked 'yet'...

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #6

I was at my trusty local Porsche mechanic here in Walnut Creek last week and asked him who makes those nice floor jacks he has around the shop, Harbor Freights! Uses them for years with no problems. I looked at the cheaper models but I figured its always safer to buy more than you need.
I went out on his recommendation and picked one up, very nice!

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-lightweight-aluminum-racing-jack-with-rapid-pump-68051.html

Last edited by Skrapmot; 10-01-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #7

When my old cheap jack started to fail and I purchased my Boxster, I decided to buy a new jack. Went with the low profile and had a Super Coupon which translated into a $69.00 jack.

Low Profile Floor Jack - 2 Ton, Rapid Pump® Jack

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #8

The low profile looked great, but super heavy! They had them on sale for 130 bucks, 20 bucks cheaper than the race 2 tonner.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrapmot View Post
The low profile looked great, but super heavy! They had them on sale for 130 bucks, 20 bucks cheaper than the race 2 tonner.
True, they are heavy which makes them safer than the aluminum jacks and more durable. I only lifted it twice, once into the trunk and once out...that's what the wheels are for.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote