Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz View Post
I do all of the fabrication amd welding myself. I am a bit of a perfectionist according to my wife.
Ya Think! Looks awesome!

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #22

Bringing this thing back up from the dead - Just wondering if the 'stock-like' car was ever finished and what a ballpark cost would be.
Obviously there are quite a few boxster that are popping up and it would be nice to resurrect them with some boost
TeckniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #23

Did you have to modify the inner dash structure at all to update to the 2004 glovebox version?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
Did you have to modify the inner dash structure at all to update to the 2004 glovebox version?
The entire dash bar behind the dash had to be swapped out. I don't see how this dash conversion would be logical unless you literally have access to the complete parts car and can take parts directly out of one car and put them into another. There are too many little details that to be addressed to make it work right.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #25

It's been a while since I've updated this thread.

Oil accumulators for turbo oil return

Modified AC lines for engine side

Heat reduction on white car engine bay

Modified AC lines on chassis side

Some of the powder coated parts

Rebuilt and re-coated calipers for both cars

Finished engine install on silver car.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #26

Engine bay for the silver car. You'll notice the custom roll bar too.

Dyno graph from silver car. This same engine/turbo package was making 430whp in our race car on 110 leaded race fuel. This graph was on Arizona's crappy 91 octane fuel. 364whp is about all the 275mm Nitto NT05 street tires can handle.

Engine installed in white car. Major differences between this car and the silver car are smaller turbo GT2871 versus GT3076, single scroll versus twin scroll, and 5 speed versus 6 speed.

White car again

Trunk on the white car. The rear carpet section will install after the car is tuned. You can see the coolant expansion tank, intercooler, intercooler water pump and catch can.

Engine bay on white car

Trunk of the silver car
Old 01-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #27

The specs on the silver car are as follows...

1997 chassis.
- Subaru EJ255 engine (stock internals) that was run in our race car for just over a full season
- ARP head studs (it was lifting the heads at 430whp)
- 1000cc fuel injectors
- GT3076R turbo (twin scroll T3 housing)
- Tial wastegates x2
- Tial QR BPV
- 6 speed conversion including brakes and rear suspension
- KAAZ LSD
- Stock Subaru AC compressor
- Stock Subaru power steering pump
- Air/water intercooler using Porsche center radiator as head exchainger
- Converted interior to black using 2004 dash
- Custom welded in roll bar
- Recaro Profi seats
- OEM hard top (convertible top deleted)
- GT3tek front bumper and Precision Porsche GT3 side skirts.

The specs on the white car are as follows...

- 1998 chassis
- Subaru EJ255 engine (stock)
- 1000cc injectors
- GT2871R turbo
- Tial wastegate
- Forge Motorsport BPV
- Stock 5 speed transaxle with KAAZ LSD
- Stock Subaru AC compressor
- Stock Subaru power steering pump
- Air/water intercooler using Porsche center radiator as head exchainger
- Stock roll bar and seats to retain convertible top function
- MK1 GT3 front bumper (OEM) and OEM aero side skirts
- OEM hard top

The white car is ready to be tuned as of today so I should have horsepower figures some time next week. I'll get some videos too.

Both cars are going to be getting complete exterior reshoots, but right now, they are both multi-colored
Old 01-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #28

Garage
Thank you for the update, looks great!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 05-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #29
02 box s

Any updates? 400 hp sure sounds amazing. What cost if precision chassis works did the swap?

02 911 carrera2, full leather, tubi exhaust, colored gauge faces, agency power short shift, DOF IMS fix, litronics, tech art shifter, spin on filter adapter
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #30

Both cars have been running and driving for a while and have no issues. I daily drive the 1997 car and have thousands of miles with no problems. I can tell you without a doubt that 996 twin turbo owners do NOT expect a Boxster to be this fast I'll try to get some video up soon.

send me an email at precisionchassis@gmail for some pricing info.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #31

Hey all,

I am the owner of the white car and wanted to post some pictures of the finished product. A little background. The car was in pretty rough shape when I picked it up. Clear coat was about non-existent on the hood, front fenders and top of the doors. Rear bumper had a bunch of cracks and had to be replaced. Soft top transmission was broken so I couldn't raise or lower the top. The engine was running but had some leaks that needed some attention (RMS and IMS). Wheels and tires were shot. You can see where this is going ... But I was okay with that because it was purchased solely for this conversion.

I can say that Kent and his team at Precision Chassis Works worked a miracle with the car. There were a *lot* of things done and the attention to detail is second to none. It looks and drives fantastic. Everything works as if the car came from the factory except for automatic climate control. I'm okay with turning the fans up/down when I need I even have A/C for those hot summer months here in Phoenix. The best part ... the power! Tony at UMS delivered 3 tunes via Cobb Accessport V3 (low - 300whp, medium - 340whp and max - 360whp). The car is running the medium tune at the moment which is more than enough for the street. The best part of the experience was seeing my 5 year old's face when I opened up the throttle for the 1st time. He loves going for rides in Daddy's rocket.

Chris and his team from Elite Automotive Finishes completed the transformation with paint and body work. I'm definitely digging the "Ruf 3400S" look of the car with the OEM MK1 GT3 bumper and OEM Aerokit 1 side skirts. The US-spec bumperettes were also tossed for a cleaner look.

Overall, I am very pleased with the conversion! With rumors of the next generation Boxster/Cayman getting Turbo-4s, I feel like I'm getting an early "preview"! I know this may not be for everyone but it works for me Cheers!

Last edited by burnrbr; 10-26-2014 at 11:03 AM.
burnrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #32

Garage
Gorgeous! I love the look and to drive it has to be a kick in the pants! You have a very lucky 5 year old!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 10-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #33

Thanks! The car is a hoot to drive! It's easy to lose traction in 1st to 2nd gear shifts if I'm not careful. Still getting my head wrapped around how fast the car generates momentum!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #34

What wheels and tire size do you think you will need to keep it hooked up?

Can you shoot flame / turbo flash with it

How is the sound?
Old 10-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
What wheels and tire size do you think you will need to keep it hooked up?

Can you shoot flame / turbo flash with it

How is the sound?
I'm currently running a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX All Seasons on 265/35/18s in the rear. I think I need to upgrade to an Extreme Performance Summer tire to get some grip back.

Haha, no flames that I know of at this time

As for how it sounds, it's definitely different from the M96 flat 6. Not as smooth. It's got lots of the typical turbo bov/compressor surge sounds. It does sound pretty mean, especially when going through a freeway underpass or through a tunnel.

Here's a video clip that Kent took while tuning the car earlier this year.

Subaru powered Boxster street car tuning - YouTube

From the inside, it sounds pretty similar to his setup, just a little subdued due to me running a full interior. You can hear it in one of his race videos too. The engine in the video is now in his street car.

PCW Subaru Powered Boxster at FIR Main march 17 2013 (Race Qualify) - YouTube
Old 10-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #36

That's a pretty awesome setup. Sounds like your running in excess of 981 GTS horsepower with a lot more torque. Power to weight ratio has got to be at least the same or better than a 996T. That must be a blast. I am guessing this is a less expensive route then building a 3.6/3.8.

With the intake that low I am guessing driving the car in any rain (especially the monsoon season we had this year) could be a problem.

How do you get the car to pass smog?

Love to see/hear the car. We are almost neighbors.
89 944 S2
78 911SC

Last edited by Porsche9; 10-26-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
That's a pretty awesome setup. Sounds like your running in excess of 981 GTS horsepower with a lot more torque. Power to weight ratio has got to be at least the same or better than a 996T. That must be a blast. I am guessing this is a less expensive route then building a 3.6/3.8.
Peak power seems to be closer to the 996TT. The difference is power delivery. I've been in a 996TT before and it produces quite a bit more low end grunt under 2500rpm and it builds all the way to peak power like a sledge hammer. My car doesn't really do much under 3000 rpm but once the turbo spools, that's when the magic happens. What I like about the car is its Jekyll and Hyde nature. I can take this on the freeway and if I keep it under 3K, I can get almost 26-27mpg. It is after all a 2.5l 4 cylinder motor. If I want some fun, I drop a gear and go into < 10mpg territory I would be curious as to how the new generation Turbo-4s will drive compared to mine. As far as costs go, I don't have any data on how much it takes to build a 3.6/3.8 but with Porsche prices, I would not be surprised if mine was a bit cheaper.

Quote:
With the intake that low I am guessing driving the car in any rain (especially the monsoon season we had this year) could be a problem.
I have driven the car in light rain and it wasn't an issue. The filter is blocked by the rear fender liner. Now if its anything like the 2 big flooding rainstorms we had this past summer, I'm taking my truck. I plan for the car to be a fair weather toy so I monitor the weather patterns before venturing out.

Quote:
How do you get the car to pass smog?
The car is actually smog exempt. I insured the car under the Hagerty Classic Car program due to its unique pedigree. In AZ, once a classic car policy is written, DMV gets notified and puts an exemption on the car. I then went online and registered the car. No fuss. The program also offers "Guaranteed Value coverage" so there is no depreciation in the case of total loss. Now with that said, Kent was able to get his car to pass smog. The OBD2 port in the car is actually tied into the Subaru's ECU. If there is no check engine light, you're good. So if I ever wanted to go to regular insurance, I'm good too.

Quote:
Love to see/hear the car. We are almost neighbors.
Sure thing! I plan on visiting Cars and Coffee (Gainey Village, Scottsdale) one of these days. Maybe we can plan on meeting there one Saturday morning? I think there's one this coming Sat.

Last edited by burnrbr; 10-26-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #38

Thanks burnrbr. At 26 to 27 mpg that's better then my 3.2. If the car can be registered and insured allowing for daily use I'm interested.

Next time you head up to Cars and Coffee let me know. When I'm ready to upgrade from my 3.2 Precision Chassis and Flat 6 Innovations will be on my list.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrbr View Post
I'm currently running a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX All Seasons on 265/35/18s in the rear. I think I need to upgrade to an Extreme Performance Summer tire to get some grip back.

Haha, no flames that I know of at this time

As for how it sounds, it's definitely different from the M96 flat 6. Not as smooth. It's got lots of the typical turbo bov/compressor surge sounds. It does sound pretty mean, especially when going through a freeway underpass or through a tunnel.

Here's a video clip that Kent took while tuning the car earlier this year.

Subaru powered Boxster street car tuning - YouTube

From the inside, it sounds pretty similar to his setup, just a little subdued due to me running a full interior. You can hear it in one of his race videos too. The engine in the video is now in his street car.

PCW Subaru Powered Boxster at FIR Main march 17 2013 (Race Qualify) - YouTube

Nice .....can you contrast and compare torque curves? Do you feel there is a lot lost on the bottom end?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #40

Porsche9, You can't go wrong with either of those 2 guys! I'll let you know when I do make it up to C&C.

JayKay, I did not do a before dyno with my old 2.5l M96 so won't be able to do a comparison. Honestly I'm not sure how much was lost in the bottom end, if any. Best way is to do a dyno day at the same dyno with another Boxster owner and compare the 2 under 3000 rpm

Last edited by burnrbr; 10-27-2014 at 09:38 PM.