Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #1

Leaking floor jack

My Duralast 3000 lb aluminum floor jack needs a diaper - it is leaking oil.
Is something like this repairable?
I've looking for the warranty information on it but can't find anything.

In case I need to replace the jack, which do you recommend?
Is life time warranty worth the extra $$$?

Thanks in advance.

mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #2

Don't know if it is reparable..never really notice spare parts for floor jacks so I guess it depends on weather or not is is simply a fitting.

I had a craftsman do that one. I simply replaced it as I had lost confidence in the thing and would not risk using it.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #3

the leaking oil might just be oil escaping from the pressure bleed due to too much air trapped in the unit. if you follow the procedure to bleed the air from it, it may stop. if you don't have the manual, it looks something like this:

- oven the valve you use to drop the jack by one turn and let jack drop to lowers position
- pump 8 times with valve open
- close valve and raise jack to max height
- pump 8 more times
- find the bleed valve and release any build-up air
- drop and test
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
the leaking oil might just be oil escaping from the pressure bleed due to too much air trapped in the unit. if you follow the procedure to bleed the air from it, it may stop. if you don't have the manual, it looks something like this:

- oven the valve you use to drop the jack by one turn and let jack drop to lowers position
- pump 8 more times
- drop and test
Cool ..!
Thank you for the tip, I will try it as soon as I get home
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:

- pump 8 more times
- drop and test

Hello King,
Are these same valve or the two different valves?

Also, is there a special "oil" to used in a floor jack?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #6

you can buy jack-specific oil.

re valves, there are two of interest - one that you open when you want the jack to drop and close when you want it to lift (the raise/lower valve) and another that you open to bleed air (bleed valve). on my jack it is just a rubber plug in the main cyl that you pinch to let the air out. so , procedure looks like this ...

- open the raise/lower valve by one turn and let jack drop to lowest position
- pump 8 times with the raise/lower valve open
- close raise/lower valve and raise jack to max height
- pump 8 more times
- drop and test

Last edited by The Radium King; 09-19-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang View Post
My Duralast 3000 lb aluminum floor jack needs a diaper - it is leaking oil.
Is something like this repairable?
A floor jack is like any other hydraulic device. It has seals and gaskets that can go bad. My 1967 Black Hawk floor jack need to have the seals redone after 20 years. I took it to a shop that specialized in jack repair. This was before the inexpensive jacks that you can get now where being sold. If yours is in need of a visit to the repair shop, it might not be economical to have one repaired nowadays. You can probably buy a new one for less than the cost of the repair. The only way to find out is to call a hydraulic repair shop and get a quote.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #8

I went through your exact scenario a few months back. Disassembled old jack started calling around for seals, etc. Ended up buying a new Arcan XL325r Low Profile jack at Costco for ~ $100. Once I factored in seals, hydraulic jack oil, time running around hunting them up, the fact my old jack was 15 years old, etc. the decision was easy. It's pretty much identical to my old jack, both Chinese made IIRC and I figure it will serve my occasional needs well for another decade or so.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #9

A leaky floor jack would scare the stuff out of me. Even a minor leak. Even any fluid around it lol.

There's some pretty good jacks nowadays that are pretty affordable, even in the sub-hundred dollar range for occasional use. Probably better to just replace unless your jack is a high dollar one.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #10

Thanks everyone.

I changed the oil last night but the jack is leaking oil still. Not as much as before, but a few drops still.

I just found out that the Duralast 3000 lb jack is made by Torin.
I will contact them to see what inexpensive options I might have.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #11

Well, IMO there's a ton of low quality made-in-china jacks out there. The GOOD ones tend to be over $400. The quality of the Torin jacks and others seems to be very spotty. I bought one from Pep Boys, and it wasn't long before the seal blew out. Now it won't lift anything, and I haven't gotten around to doing anything with it.
Here's a long thread on the subject:
aluminum racing jacks. $99.99 + Official "Floor Jack Tech" Thread - Page 13 - Corner-Carvers Forums
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #12

Update:

At least for my Duralast 3000 lb Aluminum jack, there is a "seal kit" that I can buy from Torin. (If your jack label has 888-448-6746 phone number, I believe it is made by Torin in China.)
The price of the kit is $12.50, fair enough. What is messed up is the method of payment: it is either a money order or COD. The COD is $9 extra to the USPS.

I am going to order the seal kit. I don't expect that I will be able to repair it but it will be a pleasant surprise if I do. At minimum, I gain an insight as to how a floor jack works.

I also looked into buying an OTC, the lifetime warranty jack. Their 2 ton aluminum jack is $230ish on Amazon. I asked OTC customer support if my current problem, the leaking oil, would be covered under their lifetime warranty. Well, not exactly. The normal wear and tear is not covered. Too bad.

Last edited by mikehkang; 09-21-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang View Post

I am going to order the seal kit. I don't expect that I will be able to repair it but it will be a pleasant surprise if I do. At minimum, I gain an insight as to how a floor jack works.
If you have ever rebuilt a master cylinder, you should be able to do this. Just make a note of which way the seal lips face before you take them off. Nothing like getting it all apart and going Oh Sh-t, which way did the seal face!
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #14

Quote:

- pump 8 more times
- drop and test
King,

Can you explain how "too much air trapped" can cause oil to escape or leak?
After I changed the oil and bled the jack, oil did leak at first.
I bled the jack again a few times and now the jack is not leaking oil.
You might have fixed my problem!
However, I can't get my head around how the "too much air trapped" can cause oil to escape. I would be grateful if you or anyone else can explain this for me.

Thank you.

P.S. Do you bleed every time before you use the jack?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #15

in my case the oil was leaking out of the bleed valve; there was so much trapped air in the jack that it popped the valve and shot air/oil out. the first time lots of air came out, but now i bleed it fairly regularly. still, ibit of oil continues to seep out of the bleeder.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #16

A lot of the best jack makers are gone because of the China cheap throw away jacks. Check out Snap-On, maybe they are made here.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
A lot of the best jack makers are gone because of the China cheap throw away jacks. Check out Snap-On, maybe they are made here.
Thanks jcb.

I searched the Snap-On site and their jacks too are from China.

In fact, you can buy the same 1.5 ton jack I prefer from Amazon for much less than their site.

If you had made in USA jacks before, how long did they last?