Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #1

What do you use to clean the exhaust pipe chrome ??

Mine is almost dark brown in coloar and I want to bring back the silver color.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

SvenskaPoika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Ex Esso kid

This stuff is the best but a cleaning wax will do

Shoe Polish - Simichrome Polish 1oz
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #3

Brasso, Autosol metal polish, and a lot of 'hand' power
rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #4

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #5

I have to agree with rene525d...autosol is hands down the best polish Ive come across!
58ceramicgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

Flitz. Buy it at Ace Hardware.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #7

Never-Dull in blue can.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #8

Solvol Autosol is amazing. I used to use it to take the blue off my bike pipes. I've just started using Never-Dull and I have to say I'm pretty impressed so far.

If your exhaust tip is removable then nothing will beat a buffing wheel with proper polishing compound.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
Homeboy981

Garage
I have chrome rims and the Mfr. told me on no uncertain terms that the ONLY thing they recommend is NEVER-DULL (or similar chrome polish).

The Mfr. said to stay away from the waxes and "other polishes", because, while they work for a time, eventually they will strip the outer layer off of the chrome (not sure what the chemical is called), it is the thinnest layer of the whole process. So you have to treat it delicately.

After paying a premium for the rims, I have taken their advice. It is tough on rims since they attract braked dust like a magnet!

Never-Dull does have some repellent properties and seems to shed the dust for about 2 weeks. No problemo since I wash the car AT LEAST that often.

Someone mentioned "elbow grease"….it takes a lot of that and for the pipes - you are going to have Porsche Elbow! No Pain, No Gain!

Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
I have chrome rims and the Mfr. told me on no uncertain terms that the ONLY thing they recommend is NEVER-DULL (or similar chrome polish).

The Mfr. said to stay away from the waxes and "other polishes", because, while they work for a time, eventually they will strip the outer layer off of the chrome (not sure what the chemical is called), it is the thinnest layer of the whole process. So you have to treat it delicately.

After paying a premium for the rims, I have taken their advice. It is tough on rims since they attract braked dust like a magnet!

Never-Dull does have some repellent properties and seems to shed the dust for about 2 weeks. No problemo since I wash the car AT LEAST that often.

Someone mentioned "elbow grease"….it takes a lot of that and for the pipes - you are going to have Porsche Elbow! No Pain, No Gain!

Hope this helps.
HomeBoy, are you sure your rims are chrome plated steel? Somehow I doubt that, as they are probably polished Aluminum. Look for polished aluminum products on those. I guess if you follow manufacturer advise on the rims it should be fine.

Chrome plated steel exhaust tips are different material, harder, and can take a good polishing with abrasive compounds now and then but because it is a thin plating you don't want to use the abrasives too often on them as you'll wear down to the steel eventually.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #11

SolidWorks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post

Hope this helps.
If the rims are triple plated (like most high quality chrome should be), the first layer will be copper, then nickel, then chrome. The only other layer might be a clear coat which would chip and scratch. Chrome is a hard material and can withstand quite a bit.

On my H2 Hummer I clean all the chrome stuff with spot free glass cleaner. It has vinegar in it which removes water spots. Thats it, no need for anything else.

If you want to try to keep brake dust from sticking on them, you might want to give them a coat of car wax, that will make them a little bit smoother and the dust wont have as many areas to stick to.

SolidWorks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote