View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
SolidWorks Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
I have chrome rims and the Mfr. told me on no uncertain terms that the ONLY thing they recommend is NEVER-DULL (or similar chrome polish).

The Mfr. said to stay away from the waxes and "other polishes", because, while they work for a time, eventually they will strip the outer layer off of the chrome (not sure what the chemical is called), it is the thinnest layer of the whole process. So you have to treat it delicately.

After paying a premium for the rims, I have taken their advice. It is tough on rims since they attract braked dust like a magnet!

Never-Dull does have some repellent properties and seems to shed the dust for about 2 weeks. No problemo since I wash the car AT LEAST that often.

Someone mentioned "elbow grease"….it takes a lot of that and for the pipes - you are going to have Porsche Elbow! No Pain, No Gain!

Hope this helps.
If the rims are triple plated (like most high quality chrome should be), the first layer will be copper, then nickel, then chrome. The only other layer might be a clear coat which would chip and scratch. Chrome is a hard material and can withstand quite a bit.

On my H2 Hummer I clean all the chrome stuff with spot free glass cleaner. It has vinegar in it which removes water spots. Thats it, no need for anything else.

If you want to try to keep brake dust from sticking on them, you might want to give them a coat of car wax, that will make them a little bit smoother and the dust wont have as many areas to stick to.
SolidWorks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote