Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
jakesbox

Jacking

I have a nornal jack...not low profile. I see using a 2x6 may work to help get more clearance to get it up off the ground enough to put jack under it, and lift it? I need to get back and front off the ground to get my wheels off for powder coat so I am wondering easiest way to do this...I am not sure if the 2x 6 will give me enough. I am not at home and this just popped in my head so wondering if anyone has any other ideas just in case...Once I get the car off the ground, I have jack stands so my only issue is getting the jack under the car!

Last edited by trimer; 09-19-2012 at 07:06 AM.
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
SoK

I used a piece of a 2x4 with my standard jack, worked just fine. Had a friend push the car back with me in it on the brakes.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
jakesbox

Did you only roll up on the back or both front and back. Shouldnt be an issue...
Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I have a standard 3-ton jack that doesn't quite fit, but it does fit with the saddle off. What I do is remove the saddle, align the jack on the rear jacking point (in front of the rear wheel), place thick cardboard (folded shipping box) between the car and the jack, and lift.

I need to get the custom saddle attachment, but for now this works and doesn't damage the car in the process. I lift one side up, put the stands in, then repeat on the other side.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
SoK

just the back in this particular instance (had a flat tire).

When i go to put my winter wheels on, I'll lift the back the same way, swap the back tires, then roll it forward onto the 2x4's and do the front.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #6

(Thread Title)

Johnny, you gonna grab this one, or should I?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #7

Garage
i have the same fun too. having a range rover as well, i need a jack that gets an off roader in the air as well the boxster.

so i have two jacks, one gets under the porscheto get it up enough to get the bigger jack under and raise the car for axle stands.

jacking off isn't what it used to be !
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #8

I'm not sure why some are having trouble, my 3-Ton Craftsman works for my Boxster ( without boards ), and my 4x4 truck.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Ex Esso kid

Use the stock scissor jack to raise the car, then insert the floor jack, then remove the scissor jack, repeat as necessary.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
jakesbox

Didnt even think of using the scissor jack.

@Manolo and Johnny - BRING IT (funny - I actually thought about what was going to happen if I used that title and started laughing - so I went with it.)

Last question - is it better to jack the sides of the car or front and then back
Old 09-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Ex Esso kid

I don't know how high you need it but I used to use the rear jack point, then the center jack point as noted in Bentley then I raised the front one corner at a time.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
jakesbox

Does anyone have a holy shi& dont do that if you jack up each corner one at a time. I need to fit a jack stand probably at its lowest point of say 13 inches or so under each corner. Is it ok to go right front driver, left front passenger then right rear driver, so on...

Or is there a middle of the car jack point say somewhere under the driver door and one on the passenger side under that door.

Forgive my ignorance...but I just want to be sure not to mess it up. I am sure I can look at the manual but if someone has a great solution that is easier, etc then I am all for it.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Ex Esso kid

You need to be extra choosy where you place the stands, if you start to raise one corner a lot more than the others it can get a bit dicey. Some nevers for stand placement include suspension pieces, sway bars, floor pans, oil pan, transmission, you get it, pick a solid spot that will not change any body geometry by using it.
I found it much better (although tedious) to keep working your way around the car raising each front corner a bit at a time and then the rear single point.

PS mid car jack point in rear just ahead of where the braided steel loop of cable resides.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 09-19-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
Does anyone have a holy shi& dont do that if you jack up each corner one at a time. I need to fit a jack stand probably at its lowest point of say 13 inches or so under each corner. Is it ok to go right front driver, left front passenger then right rear driver, so on...

Or is there a middle of the car jack point say somewhere under the driver door and one on the passenger side under that door.

Forgive my ignorance...but I just want to be sure not to mess it up. I am sure I can look at the manual but if someone has a great solution that is easier, etc then I am all for it.
Using the rear point behind the door (in front of the rear tire) will lift the entire side of the car. It should give enough space to put both stands under for that height (which is about how I had mine set yesterday). Though I am cautious, I haven't had any issues lifting the entire car off of the ground this way.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
SoK

that's how I do mine, one side at a time only though.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #16

Real easy guys. Theres a jack point right in front of the muffler, under the U shaped aluminum brace, where you can jack up the entire rear end. With the back end up on jack stands, theres a jack point at the front of the car, see first image at the link below, that you can use to jack up the whole front end. Just jack up one side and the other side will go up with it, put a jack stand on the jack point thats opposite the jack and then put the last jackstand under the jack point on the jack side.

Once you have all the jackstands in place, go linebacker on the car, push on the front and rear bumpers and try to knock it off the stands to make sure the stands are secure.

Pelican Technical Article: Jacking Up and Lifting the Boxster on Jack Stands - 986 / 987

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000

Last edited by san rensho; 09-19-2012 at 03:24 PM.
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #17

I do it just like this guy. It does work best if you use this technique on the rear before you do the front in the same steps that he outlined so that the rear suspension cannot transfer any load as you jack up the front. It will work doing the front first, but not quite as secure going up.

To make these jack points work, you need to have a low profile jack to reach these points from the front and rear of the car. My car is lowered a bit, so I still need ramps which I custom made for the front and rear from 1" x 8" boards sandwiched together to form a stair step pattern that I can just drive up on to get the whole car about 3" up in the air before jacking. Then I use a small piece of wood on top of my jack to spread the load a bit and soften the contact to the vehicle surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Real easy guys. Theres a jack point right in front of the muffler, under the U shaped aluminum brace, where you can jack up the entire rear end. With the back end up on jack stands, theres a jack point at the front of the car, see first image at the link below, that you can use to jack up the whole front end. Just jack up one side and the other side will go up with it, put a jack stand on the jack point thats opposite the jack and then put the last jackstand under the jack point on the jack side.

Once you have all the jackstands in place, go linebacker on the car, push on the front and rear bumpers and try to knock it off the stands to make sure the stands are secure.

Pelican Technical Article: Jacking Up and Lifting the Boxster on Jack Stands - 986 / 987

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote