Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #5121

Bought her a new Continental TR7412UB-OR head unit and the ungodly-expensive MOST wiring harness.

Sure hope it's all worth it! I don't want the aftermarket look and I'm just a little too lazy to spend a ton of time retrofitting and rewiring around the factory amp and optic system. It probably isn't much more (and may be less) than going to an aftermarket setup and it will keep it pretty much factory looking. Eager to receive and install so I can have something besides NPR to listen to on the rare occasions I like to hear something other than the sweet exhaust notes.

imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #5122
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
Bought her a new Continental TR7412UB-OR head unit and the ungodly-expensive MOST wiring harness.

Sure hope it's all worth it! I don't want the aftermarket look and I'm just a little too lazy to spend a ton of time retrofitting and rewiring around the factory amp and optic system. It probably isn't much more (and may be less) than going to an aftermarket setup and it will keep it pretty much factory looking. Eager to receive and install so I can have something besides NPR to listen to on the rare occasions I like to hear something other than the sweet exhaust notes.

Keep us updated, please. I have the same feelings as you. Don’t listen to the CDR-23 much, as it’s kinda crappy - but don’t want aftermarket unit and don’t want to deal with MOST work around. I got a cheap FM transmitter to use Bluetooth to my phone, but again, performance is so so. Love the intake sounds the most, but need tunes on a long trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #5123

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post

I went with a Kenwood KDC-X898 and couldn't be happier, while it does have that aftermarket look, the lighting is adjustable and perfectly matches our dash lights. And the wiring was super easy, totally plug and play, oh, and the sound is amazing with the factory amp and speakers. Though I may add a sub if I ever get tired of the exhaust note...
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:56 AM   #5124

My 99 is making a sound similar to a washing machine.This just started and a slight smell of coolant.Time to pull the covers off and inspect the WP.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #5125

Garage
Worked on figuring out why the steering on my 2004 S becomes heavy when the car gets really hot, autocrossing or on track.

Put it on the QuickJack and opened the engine compartment. Power steering fluid just a tad low. Not enough to be the cause. Took the front wheels off and inspected all ball joints and the steering rack. Everything fine. Spun the wheel and it was light and checked that the pump works hard when the steering gets pushed against the stops. All fine.

We had a regional PCA board meeting at my place in the evening, so I asked the others what they thought. The consensus was that the problem is that at very high revs, 5000-7000 the power steering pump works overtime and the fluid gets hot enough to start boiling off water if it is old. So the next step is to flush the fluid and see if that changes things.

Won't have time before EVO school on Sunday. We have two grand kids visiting, so there's a lot going on.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #5126

I flushed the brake fluid in anticipation for the ARPCA track DE event the weekend after next.

I had trouble pulling the plastic lug caps. I don't know if there's a special tool missing from my kit, but I made my own by bending the tips of an old pair of needle-nose pliers:

They worked very well, especially on the back wheels that are more recessed. They are now a permanent addition to my toolkit.

Shoutout to Tonythetiger for telling us about the indispensable tool to help mount the wheels! I'm sure it save me a ton of frustration, as I would have not known anything about it if he didn't post about it!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #5127
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Old 07-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Is that part of the tool kit? Mine didn't have it.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #5129
Custom User Title Here

Garage
That should have come with your aftermarket lug caps (they are not OEM).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #5130

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
That should have come with your aftermarket lug caps (they are not OEM).
Huh. Didn't know that. Thanks.

Now I see our sponsor sells them.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:19 AM   #5131
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Well... not today, but Saturday drove into LA for the Macca Dodger show and on the return trip at 1A pulled 120 on the 210 (123 accounting for the 3mph diff). I was the sole vehicle ocupant. My wife refuses to look at the speedometer when in the car.

:dance:
Old 07-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #5132

Installed the Tarrett underdrive pulley this evening. Super simple! Only sticky issue was sawing off the boss by the pulley. I used a hacksaw blade and got it off with little difficulty.

Used a new bolt with Loctite blue for good measure. Then finished with an oil change.

imhighlander
Evergreen CO
PCA-RMR
2004 986S/6
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:05 AM   #5133

Raced some rain clouds.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #5134

Took advantage of this heatwave and used the Windex & trash bag method of removing the tired old aftermarket tint.

Does anyone know if tinted windows were a factory option on the Boxsters? If so I would be willing to look for used windows. I like the tint, but I'm not a fan of aftermarket tint. It just never looks right to me.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #5135

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
Raced some rain clouds.
Beautiful pictures and the road looks like the perfect place to drive a Boxster!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #5136
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Worked on figuring out why the steering on my 2004 S becomes heavy when the car gets really hot, autocrossing or on track.

Put it on the QuickJack and opened the engine compartment. Power steering fluid just a tad low. Not enough to be the cause. Took the front wheels off and inspected all ball joints and the steering rack. Everything fine. Spun the wheel and it was light and checked that the pump works hard when the steering gets pushed against the stops. All fine.

We had a regional PCA board meeting at my place in the evening, so I asked the others what they thought. The consensus was that the problem is that at very high revs, 5000-7000 the power steering pump works overtime and the fluid gets hot enough to start boiling off water if it is old. So the next step is to flush the fluid and see if that changes things.

Won't have time before EVO school on Sunday. We have two grand kids visiting, so there's a lot going on.
Sounds like it’s time for an underdrive pulley.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #5137

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Beautiful pictures and the road looks like the perfect place to drive a Boxster!
Thanks Bruce - just got to watch for sheep and Lycra clad cyclists! Surface can be rough in places but great roads, just need to be on them very early. Must video some for you guys.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #5138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
Raced some rain clouds.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk
those photos are getting me awfully anxious ..

~patience~ .. (deciding on just what boxster I want before taking the plunge) ..

thanks .. and fyi .. that steering wheel is on the wrong side!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
jreissenweber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #5139

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreissenweber1 View Post
fyi .. that steering wheel is on the wrong side!
I think you'll find the steering is on the "Right" side.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:51 AM   #5140
Seal1968

Finally de-snorkled. Not sure why I hesitated.

Sounds great!

Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote