Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2019, 04:39 AM   #5101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Saturday was cruising the 62 in the lower desert, after coming from above. The outside temperature was rising and, top down, the wife was finding it uncomfortable. Came to that complete stop... put it in park... emergency brake up... and closed the top.

Sunday morning took the 37 seconds to pull the relay... bend pin 18... and slap it back in. Went for a three block cruise opening the top while driving at ~30 MPH. Closed it at ~30MPH. Works great. Free convenience mod.

The only downside is that employing that feature means no karate chop.

Cheers!
I've been thinking about that mod. I've been wondering if there are any downsides to it, but I guess there aren't, except the "karate chop". I Don't even know what that is! LOL

30PMH! Wow you're brave! I'd be afraid of the top acting like a parachute and snapping the frame!

Last edited by piper6909; 07-02-2019 at 04:45 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:53 AM   #5102
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I've been thinking about that mod. I've been wondering if there are any downsides to it, but I guess there aren't, except the "karate chop". I Don't even know what that is! LOL

30PMH! Wow you're brave! I'd be afraid of the top acting like a parachute and snapping the frame!
No downside that I know of.

The karate chop is when you start to lower the top... about half-way... hop out... and "chop" the middle of the vinyl window in the middle so that when completely you open the top the window nicely will be folded in the middle... as opposed to scrunching up.

Some put a soft towel or microfiber cloth to further mitigate any light scratching or crease marks.

If you do the top mod and find it's not for you... you can just bend back #18.

There was no wind that morning I tested the feature. I wouldn't try it in a strong headwind.

I found Pedro's instructions were complete.

Top Operational while-in-motion

Cheers!
Old 07-02-2019, 07:22 AM   #5103

Quote:
No downside that I know of.

The karate chop is when you start to lower the top... about half-way... hop out... and "chop" the middle of the vinyl window in the middle so that when completely you open the top the window nicely will be folded in the middle... as opposed to scrunching up.

Some put a soft towel or microfiber cloth to further mitigate any light scratching or crease marks.

If you do the top mod and find it's not for you... you can just bend back #18.

There was no wind that morning I tested the feature. I wouldn't try it in a strong headwind.

I found Pedro's instructions were complete.

Top Operational while-in-motion

Cheers!
Awesome! Thanks!
Old 07-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #5104

Quote:
Saturday was cruising the 62 in the lower desert, after coming from above. The outside temperature was rising and, top down, the wife was finding it uncomfortable. Came to that complete stop... put it in park... emergency brake up... and closed the top.

Sunday morning took the 37 seconds to pull the relay... bend pin 18... and slap it back in. Went for a three block cruise opening the top while driving at ~30 MPH. Closed it at ~30MPH. Works great. Free convenience mod.

The only downside is that employing that feature means no karate chop.

Cheers!
Just did this. Another up side is putting the roof up in slow moving traffic when rain starts.

I was in your neck of the woods,(stayed at the best Western on 62 in Yucca), for Memorial Day weekend. Joshua tree, Pappy& Harriet’s, stoned and dusted. Love the area but it was unseasonably cold Sunday night in the mountains for stoned and dusted. Planning to return.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #5105

Adjusted parking brake and then installed new fuel filter. Car has ~175k kms (109k miles) on the dial now.

Thinking fuel pump next. I'm getting sporadic hesitation when I pin the gas, like it's not getting enough fuel. So thinking the fuel pump is on it's last legs and I don't want to get stranded. Might as well do water pump as well.

Last edited by Zzorro; 07-02-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #5106

Garage
Headlights

I replaced my original lights with CCFL’S purchased from Dubaday. Not to hard to do. Also replaced the trunk struts.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:22 AM   #5107
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Just did this. Another up side is putting the roof up in slow moving traffic when rain starts.

I was in your neck of the woods,(stayed at the best Western on 62 in Yucca), for Memorial Day weekend. Joshua tree, Pappy& Harriet’s, stoned and dusted. Love the area but it was unseasonably cold Sunday night in the mountains for stoned and dusted. Planning to return.
The Best Western... right up the street from me. Connect with me next time you're in town. We'll race up and down the pass. I'm up to 100MPH. Coming up the curves.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:26 AM   #5108

Finally got the Boxster back on the road after replacing a broken CV joint, motor/tranny mounts, wheel bearings, new clutch/flywheel/RMS, IMS bearing, AOS, spark plugs, all filters, coolant tank, coolant, water pump, Tstat, and to top it off...speedline style wheels

Last edited by jmitro; 07-04-2019 at 05:28 AM.
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #5109

Today I drove my 2003 S 460 miles to Mt Tremblant for an HPDE. Returning to the scene of the crime as it were, it is exactly 1 year ago that I drove here and my IMSB failed before I got on the track. So far so good, the event starts in the morning!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:12 AM   #5110
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
Finally got the Boxster back on the road after replacing a broken CV joint, motor/tranny mounts, wheel bearings, new clutch/flywheel/RMS, IMS bearing, AOS, spark plugs, all filters, coolant tank, coolant, water pump, Tstat, and to top it off...speedline style wheels

Did you effect the repairs, or a shop?
Old 07-05-2019, 05:48 AM   #5111

I did them all myself
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #5112

Received a performance award in it
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:38 AM   #5113

Super “quick” trip to Durango and back from the foothills of Colorado for the Fourth of July. 5.5 hours each way but a beautiful drive, top down almost all the way. Even caught up to a base model in the same color combo as my S model. (Didn’t think to take pics of that tho.)

Overnight 1 in Salida at a great “hostel”, which is much more of a B&B. Overnight 2 just outside Durango and then back home yesterday.

Car did beautifully the whole way.

imhighlander
Evergreen CO
PCA-RMR
2004 986S/6
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #5114

I replaced my headlamp switch and installed a Continental CDD7416UB-OR head unit.
cc986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #5115

Went for drive with my daughter on the Autobahn to enjoy the afternoon, knock some rust off the brakes and listen to (her) K-Pop. Unfortunately, I heard and felt a thunk from the clutch pedal as I was shifting and the pedal stayed on the floor. A couple of hours waiting and a flatbed trip later, my car is sitting in my mechanic's parking lot, dripping fluid. Ugh.

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #5116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster View Post
Went for drive with my daughter on the Autobahn to enjoy the afternoon, knock some rust off the brakes and listen to (her) K-Pop. Unfortunately, I heard and felt a thunk from the clutch pedal as I was shifting and the pedal stayed on the floor. A couple of hours waiting and a flatbed trip later, my car is sitting in my mechanic's parking lot, dripping fluid. Ugh.
Sounds like you many have just burst a hydraulic line. Sucks, but I could have been worse.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #5117

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Sounds like you many have just burst a hydraulic line. Sucks, but I could have been worse.
That is what I'm thinking about the line, but I'm no expert with the clutch hydraulic system. I'm sure I have many hoses and lines that are ready to be replaced. Luckily, the auto-hobby shop is opening on the base where I live, so I should have easy access to get after these soon-to-fail items.
And you're right... it could have been worse. Lots of thoughts were going through my head about if it was the engine, transmission, or what as I was pulling off the road... but everything else seemed fine so it might just be something with the hydraulics, I hope.

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #5118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster View Post
That is what I'm thinking about the line, but I'm no expert with the clutch hydraulic system. I'm sure I have many hoses and lines that are ready to be replaced. Luckily, the auto-hobby shop is opening on the base where I live, so I should have easy access to get after these soon-to-fail items.
And you're right... it could have been worse. Lots of thoughts were going through my head about if it was the engine, transmission, or what as I was pulling off the road... but everything else seemed fine so it might just be something with the hydraulics, I hope.
Yeah, I'll bet dollars to donuts that it's a hydraulic line. Pedal on the floor is the dead giveaway.

You're on a base? You're in the service? Thank you!
Old 07-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #5119

love seeing your babes ;)

I see a lot of beautiful boxsters being posted - thanks for sharing and for the motivation to get mine out hahaha..

Still have a bunch of work I really wanna do. Cleared some items off the the to-do list this weekend. Replaced the low tone horn that wasn't working, cleaned out the side vents at the same time and replaced cabin/engine filter. In the process of flushing transmission fluid and engine oil/filter (with the filter-housing-magnets mod)

Not gonna have beautiful pics out of my girl out yet, but hopefully by the end of the summer...

shibeinboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:22 AM   #5120
Seal1968

Drove her to the Auburn area for the weekend...roughly a 7 hour trip each way...ran flawlessly.

She pulled hard through the twisty hills, and on the freeway.

It was my first long drive with my S...top down most of the way.

Just need to remember sunblock lol.

Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote