Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #5061

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
well, not boxster related, but just finished driving 1400 kms to a friday track day (test and tune) followed by a two day race weekend. set my camp up for a weekend of racing, got out on the track and ... broke the end off my cam halfway through my first lap. destroyed the timing chain and everything it hit. got the tow of shame off the track, loaded everything up, and drove to the shop where top men are working late into the night to get me back on the track for tomorrow (hopefully). while i sit and drink a beer of despair.

so, you think ims is an issue? try running a 50-year old historic british race car.
What is the British sports car? I own 2 that's why the interest

blue62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #5062

1968 triumph gt6.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #5063
MarkT

Garage
640 Mile Road Trip with my son!

We drove from Atlanta through the North Georgia mountains and the Smokies to visit family and back in two days (320 miles each day). My 19 year old son got to experience some awesome twisty mountain roads and my Boxster performed like a champ!
Markt213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #5064

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
well, not boxster related, but just finished driving 1400 kms to a friday track day (test and tune) followed by a two day race weekend. set my camp up for a weekend of racing, got out on the track and ... broke the end off my cam halfway through my first lap. destroyed the timing chain and everything it hit. got the tow of shame off the track, loaded everything up, and drove to the shop where top men are working late into the night to get me back on the track for tomorrow (hopefully). while i sit and drink a beer of despair.

so, you think ims is an issue? try running a 50-year old historic british race car.
know your pain. My first autocross car was a 1962 TR4 that was an ex SCCA racer. Loved the car, but hated it at the same time.

My brother also raced 1963 TR4 in vintage races for about 10 years in the late 90s.

Father raced a GT6 in the 70's until one of my brother's rolled it showing off to friends in HS.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:45 PM   #5065
Will there be cake?

Garage
changed the pads all around on my 2001 S cuz the wear indicators told me so about a week ago. Found the pads at half life easy, but I didn't stop. new dampers, pads, wear indicators and hardware. Found one of the clevis pins missing, so Ill pull the wheel and replace that soon enough.
I'm a short distance guy in my cars, no racing, no long trips, so the softer semi-metallic pads are my friend. Firm pedal, no more dash light. Happy camper.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:31 AM   #5066

Garage
First AX of the year. Unfortunately the track alignment and side to side swap of the RE71-Rs is tomorrow, so its the old setup. Also found that I am rusty and the end result was mediocre. I have hoped to be within a couple of seconds of the leaders in my class, but did much worse.

The great news is that the banana muffler sounds great on the AX course as well as on the street. No drone, just a healthy howl when you hit 4000 RPM on full throttle. Can't help giving is gas here and there. :-)

The wash Friday made it look presentable. Just love this car!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:36 AM   #5067

Saturday I spent about 7hrs on the box.
Good soaking wash & dry, light prep (car was clean already), polish with Meguiar's M105, clean up with M205, wiped down with alcohol then laid down Collinite 915. Dressed all the plastics and tires. Vacuumed trunks and carpets, scrubbed all the interior then treated the leather with Collinite leather treatment.

Anyone with guards red knows that cell phones can't take a proper picture of it.

Whoever detailed this car before I owned it needs to find another line of work. Click the image to see a before/after gif.

It takes a village.

Then I drove it an hour in the rain to a car show... The water beaded up nicely at least!

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #5068

Wet sanded, buffed, added mesh and adjusted my new nose 👃

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #5069
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Wet sanded, buffed, added mesh and adjusted my new nose

What's the verdict? Quality high enough? Fit good enough? Worth the price?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #5070

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
What's the verdict? Quality high enough? Fit good enough? Worth the price?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1000x better than same price Duraflex junk.

I say its worth $700 now that Im done. When I first got it I was concerned how rubbery it was. About the same thickness as factory but less ridged. Kinda like rubber floormats they made years ago. My painter wouldn't paint it and that got my head messed up. He said it was too flexible. That the paint would crack. I painted it myself and I had no problems. One thing about the fit. It fits even better if you don't mind doing a little modifying. It fit right out of the box but for some odd reason its 1/2 " longer from the wheel opening to the curve around the headlight. That bugged me so.I bought a couple of side bumper mounting brackets and moved the mounting point back 1/2". Now its fine. I'm still.not done tweeking it. It started storming so I took a break.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #5071

This pdf is exactly what you do to install. If you look close at the final pic you can kinda see how it fits the curve out of the box.

http://www.kbdbodykits.com/installation-guides/kbd-body-kits-porsche-gt-3-look-front-bumper-&-lip-installation-guide.pdf
Old 06-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #5072
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
This pdf is exactly what you do to install. If you look close at the final pic you can kinda see how it fits the curve out of the box.

http://www.kbdbodykits.com/installation-guides/kbd-body-kits-porsche-gt-3-look-front-bumper-&-lip-installation-guide.pdf

Tell me about the wing, I have a 986 and honestly this is the first wing I’ve seen that looks really GOOD. Still not sure I would do it, but I’ll share my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:10 AM   #5073
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Wet sanded, buffed, added mesh and adjusted my new nose 👃

I have to say your car is looking really really good
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:48 AM   #5074

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Tell me about the wing, I have a 986 and honestly this is the first wing I’ve seen that looks really GOOD. Still not sure I would do it, but I’ll share my thoughts.

This is the wing. Which I really liked too but as is it wouldn't fit my Ztop. Legs were too short. I had to cut them off and add the metal wing legs. The hatch on the Ztop sits low between the qtrs. Might work on a Boxster trunk.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-997-CARRERA-S4-TURBO-REAR-BOOT-SPOILER-RINSPEED/133012602897?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&pageci=2dbc5e62-7d87-434b-b0a6-991f89468507
Old 06-18-2019, 04:50 AM   #5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
I have to say your car is looking really really good
Thank you. I acually think I'm done with my mods. 😀
Old 06-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #5076
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Thank you. I acually think I'm done with my mods. 😀
Once started you cannot stop.
I am beyond the stage where less is more...

Looks really nice, JB!
Old 06-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #5077

Just did full suspension refresh including control arms, inner & outer tie rods, sway bars, bushings, springs, shocks, bump stops... the whole bit. Converted my US-spec suspension to ROW M030 in the process. (Stock takeoffs for sale in separate thread.) What a difference!!

Then took it to Steamboat Springs over the wkend with the lady and some new friends from PCA-RMR.

imhighlander
Evergreen CO
PCA-RMR
2004 986S/6
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #5078

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
Just did full suspension refresh including control arms, inner & outer tie rods, sway bars, bushings, springs, shocks, bump stops... the whole bit. Converted my US-spec suspension to ROW M030 in the process. (Stock takeoffs for sale in separate thread.) What a difference!!

Then took it to Steamboat Springs over the wkend with the lady and some new friends from PCA-RMR.

imhighlander
Evergreen CO
PCA-RMR
2004 986S/6
Nice! What kind of slotted brake disks do you have?
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #5079

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Nice! What kind of slotted brake disks do you have?

Those are the GiroDisc 2-piece rotors.

imhighlander
Evergreen CO
PCA-RMR
2004 986S/6
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:57 AM   #5080

Garage
Powder coated the hats on my new rotors.

mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote