Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #4981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmhero View Post
10sec maybe, and not minutes like the automatic mode.
If yours was taking minutes - then there was something seriously wrong. The published number is 12 seconds, which seems accurate.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #4982
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
I removed all push rods, V-levers, and ball-end rods. Back lid and convertible top are now manual. The whole operation is a lot faster than with an electric motor. You unlatch the roof, get out of the car, raise the lid, lower the roof (neither of them is any heavier than a briefcase), lower the lid and that's it. 10sec maybe, and not minutes like the automatic mode. Observing the damage done to the V-rods... I can safely say this mechanism can not work well. It uses excessive force, applying it to a super fragile soft top. If it's working on your car, good - but it's only a matter of time till the electric motor breaks your roof, bringing a very costly $1000ish repair. Yes, that also usually happens... when rain starts.
So many things wrong, here...

Auto top takes about 12 seconds, not minutes (plus you don't have to get out of the car).
I can safely say the mechanism does work well. Mine is 20 years old and still works perfectly. Doing regular maintenance and lubing things helps.

I'm glad you like it, because that's what matters.
No way I'd trade my beautifully working electric top for manual.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #4983

Quote:
I removed all push rods, V-levers, and ball-end rods. Back lid and convertible top are now manual. The whole operation is a lot faster than with an electric motor. You unlatch the roof, get out of the car, raise the lid, lower the roof (neither of them is any heavier than a briefcase), lower the lid and that's it. 10sec maybe, and not minutes like the automatic mode. Observing the damage done to the V-rods... I can safely say this mechanism can not work well. It uses excessive force, applying it to a super fragile soft top. If it's working on your car, good - but it's only a matter of time till the electric motor breaks your roof, bringing a very costly $1000ish repair. Yes, that also usually happens... when rain starts.
I turned mine to manual mode like you did because the rod ends had broke, damaged the drain pans and the messed up my CLU (previous owner). Luckily it starts, runs and drives great, and getting better with all the TLC I'm doing. I still have many electrical gremlins I need to get sorted out (alarm, FOBs / auto locks, electric windows won't roll down etc.). Qumulus on here rebuilds the CLUs with great success and I intend to have him repair the CLU when I get around to it. That should address most of the electrical issues.

While I agree that it's pretty easy to get the top up and down in manual mode, I would have liked to have kept it in auto. It's on my list to rehab this function eventually. But not a priority at the moment.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #4984

it will destroy the car again. I can show you how much damage it did to very heavy duty parts. This thing in insanely overpowered in 986.
palmhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:38 AM   #4985

in fact, the ball end of the push rods on my 1998 car was METAL. I want to ************************ kill whoever did that "upgrade/repair"! Had to use a long file to release it. Also I have no idea how it was possible to even attach it there, the diameter being narrower than the ball. This should have been one of the reasons why the whole mechanism got destroyed, when the least durable component is suddenly changed to the most durable one, then the rest goes to hell. But in my specific case, the big reason was the left side electric defunct motor after being flooded (the dude I bought the Boxster from had no idea about the clogged water drain holes, and thought the swooshing sound was from the water pump.......)

palmhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:14 AM   #4986

Finished my wing, pretty much.

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:55 AM   #4987

Garage
Beautifully done like all your modifications !!!!
When will the new front bumper appear?
Old 05-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #4988
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Looks awesome. Did you test drive it a bit, to see if it is wobbly at higher speeds?
Old 05-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #4989

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8ked View Post
Beautifully done like all your modifications !!!!
When will the new front bumper appear?
Thanks! Getting it tomorrow �� Got my fingers crossed its OK ��

Last edited by JBauer; 05-29-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #4990

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Looks awesome. Did you test drive it a bit, to see if it is wobbly at higher speeds?
Thank you! Not yet, probably later today 🤞
Old 05-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #4991

Finished the refurb, paint and install of my Aerokit I side skirts. perfect understated look I was going for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:12 PM   #4992

Got my bumper in a box. No trimming, no bodyshop, no clips or screws yet and it went right on.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #4993
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Finished the refurb, paint and install of my Aerokit I side skirts. perfect understated look I was going for.

Looks great. Where did you buy the Aerokit I side skirts from?
Old 05-30-2019, 03:40 PM   #4994

Garage
Tastefully done! Great looking car. What did you use to affix the side skirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post

Old 05-30-2019, 05:53 PM   #4995
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Looks perfect Fred
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:11 PM   #4996

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Got my bumper in a box. No trimming, no bodyshop, no clips or screws yet and it went right on.

Love the spoiler...looks great
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:20 AM   #4997

Thanks Tommy, JR and Kram for your comments on my Aerokit I skirts. You can still get them new from Porsche but they’re around $1,400 for the set IIRC.

I bought mine used on eBay and they were really in rough shape. Because Porsche meant them to be permanently mounted they’re hard to take off without destroying the upper mounting rails which are molded into the skirts. It required lots of work to refurb them. Someday I’ll do a detailed post.

I mounted the upper edge with 3M VHB automotive tape and the lower edge to the pinch weld with Porsche Aerokit II mounting clips. Thanks to Tommy for the pics of his mounted and to whoever sent me the AK I & AKII install bulletins. They were both invaluable.

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 06-01-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:07 AM   #4998
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Really nice, Fred. Perfect. Oh...and some old info from the Seal gray thread, which I posted there:
Yup, they hang on that rail...and are additionally glued to them, bullet proof.

takes a strong arm and a (professional) power-tool to drill those screw-bolts into the metal
Drilling holes beforehand is not recommended due to corrosion issues.

Take your time!!
...if you slip off while drilling, pushing with full power --> free dents and scratch marks

Last edited by BRAN; 06-01-2019 at 03:09 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:31 PM   #4999

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Really nice, Fred. Perfect. Oh...and some old info from the Seal gray thread, which I posted there:
Yup, they hang on that rail...and are additionally glued to them, bullet proof.

takes a strong arm and a (professional) power-tool to drill those screw-bolts into the metal
Drilling holes beforehand is not recommended due to corrosion issues.

Take your time!!
...if you slip off while drilling, pushing with full power --> free dents and scratch marks
Thanks Bran. I think the only way you find used Aerokit I skirts is from a wrecked car. I can’t imagine anyone taking them off for any other reason if they were installed per Porsche instructions. As usual the top flanges on mine were destroyed for the most part. I had to fabricate a new lip for the length of the skirt so that I could have a surface at the correct width, depth and angle to which I could attach to the car using the 3M VHB tape. The Aerokit IIs are much easier to deal with used because Porsche used tape from the start on the upper edge rather than the rail and glue.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #5000

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Finished my wing, pretty much.

Peelers look nice! I always loved them on certain Audi's, they look good on the snake.

mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote