Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #4841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
I agree with that these P cars are engineered almost perfect from the factory and making them fast is cheaper and more effectively done by dropping weight.
Questions: 1. Do you have issues with passing emissions from dropping the Cats? (2) what was the purpose of wrapping the exhaust and what wrapping used?
I can answer the emissions part.

I dropped the entire catalytic system and installed headers with pipes. After a tune the car picked up about 30hp. I live in CA so I have to deal with emissions. I installed ARP header studs. This makes dropping the headers, and swapping the cats in for smog about a 1 hour job for me. (I installed all new O2 sensors when I put the headers on) As for the check engine light, I use FVD Brombacher O2 sensor extenders/mini cats. This tricks the secondary sensors into thinking there are cat converters.... No CELs

When installing the headers I wrapped the P/S line, and the coolant hose. The headers are really close to them.

Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #4842

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qckslvr View Post
I can answer the emissions part.

I dropped the entire catalytic system and installed headers with pipes. After a tune the car picked up about 30hp. I live in CA so I have to deal with emissions. I installed ARP header studs. This makes dropping the headers, and swapping the cats in for smog about a 1 hour job for me. (I installed all new O2 sensors when I put the headers on) As for the check engine light, I use FVD Brombacher O2 sensor extenders/mini cats. This tricks the secondary sensors into thinking there are cat converters.... No CELs

When installing the headers I wrapped the P/S line, and the coolant hose. The headers are really close to them.
Thanks Qckslvr; these thoughts will come in handy; 30hp gain! that is impressive...which tune? We only have 91 octane at Mile High (Denver) unless you purchase race gas 100 octane @ $9.40/gallon
Old 03-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #4843

Quote:
Thanks Qckslvr; these thoughts will come in handy; 30hp gain! that is impressive...which tune? We only have 91 octane at Mile High (Denver) unless you purchase race gas 100 octane @ $9.40/gallon
wish I could tell you the tune, it was done by S-Car-Go in San Rafael, CA
Old 03-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #4844

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
Good luck making them last past 15k miles... On the 986 I got only 15k, on the Audi B7 less than 23k. Conti is a better daily driver tire...
Thanks. Car's 19th birthday this month. 46k on the clock. Seven year old BFGs removed with lots of tread left. Will probably buy a new set in 7 more years, if I live 7 more.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #4845

Getting ready for AX season:
Removed my rattling second-hand charlie chan exhaust.
Ordered a new muffler, TPs, header wrap, and a trailing arm.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:58 PM   #4846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
Getting ready for AX season:
Removed my rattling second-hand charlie chan exhaust.
Ordered a new muffler, TPs, header wrap, and a trailing arm.
Careful with header wrap on your headers. The M96 is somewhat prone to oil leaks via the spark plugs tubes, cam covers, and a variety of other spots and they can/would drip right onto the headers potentially. Another potential issue if you have the stock power steering system in the car, is the overflow dumps PS fluid right on top of the engine, which can also drip down and land right on your wrapped headers. I had a minor fire that fried an O2 sensor from the above. If you are trying to protect your PS lines from heat, you are better off wrapping your PS line and O2 sensors wires and leaving your headers alone. Not a chance would I risk wrapping my headers. YMMV
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:20 AM   #4847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Careful with header wrap on your headers.
Thanks - I wasn’t aware of that.
The original intent was to wrap the TPs to keep heat off of the axle CV boots and other lines in the area, as the stock cats have heat shields.
I *think* these are clear of the leaky bits on the engine but will certainly check now.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #4848

Garage
Took off the front bumper to replace a grille with a broken slat, and found I bought the wrong grille. My car has the Aero Kit. While in there, I cleaned out the radiators.

'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #4849

Quote:
The original intent was to wrap the TPs to keep heat off of the axle CV boots and other lines in the area, as the stock cats have heat shields.
I *think* these are clear of the leaky bits on the engine but will certainly check now.
ceramic coating rocks the party. highly recommended.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #4850
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
It really is amazing how much stuff gets sucked in between the radiators and the condensers. Mine were dirty, yours have considerably more. It must run cooler now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:14 PM   #4851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
Took off the front bumper to replace a grille with a broken slat, and found I bought the wrong grille. My car has the Aero Kit. While in there, I cleaned out the radiators.

WOW that’s a lot of blockage there! Now I may have yet another “project” for this spring!
Old 03-27-2019, 10:18 PM   #4852

Quote:
You definitely want to wrap your main PS line either way. That thing sits right next to the header and a PS leak onto a hot header is POOF for sure. PS fluid is VERY flammable.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:19 AM   #4853

I wrecked it
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:06 AM   #4854

I’m taking a 250 mile trip in my car today and returning tomorrow. This will complete 1,000 of the 1,500 break-in miles I need on my just rebuilt 3.2 converted to 3.6 with LN Nickies. In addition to having a new 987 motor mount installed, I also had the Function-First “Sport” motor mount insert and upgraded transmission mounts installed. I don’t find them to be harsh at all so far.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #4855

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
Did some cleaning! Still need to paint the calipers. I swear I'll do it this year.

I'd like to know about those screened vents you've cut in the fender liner. Can you share, please?
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:10 AM   #4856

Picked up car from maintenance and with new FVD Brombacher sound version muffler installed. Great sound more flat six, but not too much more.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:08 AM   #4857

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
I'd like to know about those screened vents you've cut in the fender liner. Can you share, please?
Sure! It's just expanded metal mesh from Home Depot. I used aluminum, I think it's intended use is for gutters.
  • I pulled the whole fender liner out
  • Determined the shape I wanted based on the bracing behind the radiator.
  • I cut the liner with a cutoff wheel. I wanted the corners rounder than they ended up. I used a 1/2" drill bit, it would have looked better with a full inch.
  • I had to cut out some of the original radiator shroud so the air could pass straight through. I used a hacksaw blade. A dremel would probably be better.
  • Cut my mesh to shape
  • Drilled some holes, and riveted it in place.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:15 AM   #4858

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Picked up car from maintenance and with new FVD Brombacher sound version muffler installed. Great sound more flat six, but not too much more.
Congratulations! My goal is to acquire an FVD Brombacher sound version.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:03 AM   #4859

Quote:
Thanks! I have had mine for several months, so pretty excited. My tech was borderline on likening the sound I think he thought it should have been louder. Most of his clients want louder. For me tone is perfect, just a little louder than stock but deeper, opens up over 3k but cruisin at 3100 nice sound but not over powering.

My next upgrade is plenum throttle body.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #4860

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Thanks! I have had mine for several months, so pretty excited. My tech was borderline on likening the sound I think he thought it should have been louder. Most of his clients want louder. For me tone is perfect, just a little louder than stock but deeper, opens up over 3k but cruisin at 3100 nice sound but not over powering.

My next upgrade is plenum throttle body.
I have the FVD Brombacher as well with headers, and test pipes. I was really expecting the car to be loud. But I am very happy with the FVD. Like mentioned above it has a great note, and no drone at cruising speed. But for me, when I get the car up around 5k it lets out a nice bark and really has that Porsche flat 6 growl.