Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #3121

Liftbars

First time using my new liftbars for an oil change. It made the whole process of lifting the car so much quicker and easier. Put the bar on the floor jack, raise until the ends of the bar start to contact the underside of the car, make sure the ends fit into the holes in the jacking points, raise the car, slip the jack stands under the rounded bar at the jacking points, then lower and remove the jack. Repeat for the other side. In less than five minutes the car is up on all four corners. No more rolling on my side sliding the jack stand back and forth until it's in the right position and using jack pads which end up deformed by the top of the jack stand.

On the oil front, some fuzz on the magnetic drain plug and a couple of small non-magnetic flecks in the drain pan. Removed the filter magnets and cut open the old filter. Again, some fuzz on the inside of the housing around the magnets and two or three small non-magnetic slivers in the pleats of the filter.

A good car day.

alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #3122

Short answer - Yes, I think so.

Longer answer - At the time I picked up the jack at the PD, they had just obtained an arrest warrant, but had not yet picked up "the suspect". The police had questioned him by phone (they know who he is) and he denied stealing the jack (even though we have him on video illegally entering our community and leaving it with a Home Depot rental truck, which was traced back to him), denied pawning it (even though there is video of him doing so and the pawn shop has a photo of him and his drivers license taken while doing so). The police were quite confident that an arrest was imminent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
That's awesome to hear! Did they catch those turds?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:44 AM   #3123
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
Short answer - Yes, I think so.

Longer answer - At the time I picked up the jack at the PD, they had just obtained an arrest warrant, but had not yet picked up "the suspect". The police had questioned him by phone (they know who he is) and he denied stealing the jack (even though we have him on video illegally entering our community and leaving it with a Home Depot rental truck, which was traced back to him), denied pawning it (even though there is video of him doing so and the pawn shop has a photo of him and his drivers license taken while doing so). The police were quite confident that an arrest was imminent.
Excellent!...you would think these guys would know by now that there's video cameras everywhere these days. Glad you have some justice.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #3124

Pretty sure my jack is smarter than the guy who stole it! LOL

I just installed an eyelet in the wall and my jacks and rolling storage cart are now cabled to the wall. Won't prevent a determined thief from stealing them, but it should slow them down. It stopped them from stealing my Catrike (recumbent tricycle) at the time they stole the jack.

The funny part was they picked up and carried my other jack (an old Craftsman jack I bought back in 1986!) all the way to the door and then dropped it there. Maybe because they didn't have the handle for it (it's in one of those those bins).

Just really glad I got this jack back. The fact that it's so low and has such a long reach allows me to jack up the Boxster from the back (I place it at the point where the suspension components all come together on each side) and allows me to get jack stands under the side jack points. Can't do that with my old Craftsman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Excellent!...you would think these guys would know by now that there's video cameras everywhere these days. Glad you have some justice.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #3125

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Car is dirty but the eBay emblem is holding up strong after a few years now
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #3126
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Zapatos Nuevo

What a difference a new set of tires makes. Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2, 225/45-17 & 255/40-17. The handling difference is really stunning.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:22 PM   #3127

Garage
Ordered a set of illuminated vanity mirror visors from overseas...no airbag warnings. Has anybody wired up illuminated visors to a vehicle without them currently? Wondering if the harness might be there or if I have to Macgyver something.
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #3128

Finished installing both variocam tensioners with new pads, 3 new chain tensioners, new rear main seal, new daul mass flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Also replace AOS while it is a little easier to get to with the transmission out. New plugs, new plug tubes and o-rings. I am probably missing a few things as well...

Still need to put the transmission back in and install new front engine mount. And need to install new cat delete pipes.

Oh, and I removed and replaced the IMS.

Dave
2001S
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #3129

Installed Cargraphic headers, Carnewal exhaust, and AFE Power tips on my 987

It sounds flipping great
BBQBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #3130

Got my transmission re-installed yesterday. Took a lot longer than I expected and I am a little sore from the effort, but its in.

I had planned ahead for the install. When I removed the transmission I purchased some bolts with the same thread pattern as two of the transmission bolts, then removed the heads and cut in a groove so I could remove them. I used these headless bolts as "guide pins" to help align the transmission when installing. I had high hopes because I have removed and installed many transmissions over the years. How hard could it be?

So inspired with confidence and my new home-made guide pins, just installed, I placed the transmission mounted to my floor jack in position and raised her up and got her on the guide pins and proceeded to wiggling and pushing and...no go. Hmm...perhaps the angle is off lets check. Yep the rear of the transmission needs to come up a but so I got a bottle jack and placed it on my floor jack to raise the back up to align properly. Now it might have been much easier to use the transmission adapter I got for Christmas from HF if it would have actually fit my floor jack. But this should work.

So back to wiggling and pushing and still no go. Perhaps something is wrong, better drop the transmission back down and check it out. Nope, things look OK...lets try again. Back up, check the up-down alignment and try again. Still no-go. I'm thinking...better check the 986forum to see if there is any advice. And there is but there's no obvious thing I am doing wrong. Just line it up right and it should go in.

So try again lining it up correctly and raising and lowering the transmission at different angles. Now the engine is being supported from above with a support bar perhaps I need to raise it up some. So I jack the engine up slightly the whole time peering at the gap which isn't closing between the engine and transmission to see if things are lining up. It "looks" like it but the transmission still isn't going in. The gap is still about 2 inches I guess. Something must be wrong so I lower the transmission again and check things out. Still looking OK to me. Oh, and I am turning the shaft occasionally in case it is getting caught or not lining up.

Perhaps its the new slave cylinder...makes little sense but heck now I'm getting tired and let's see if removing that helps any. Remove the slave cylinder, jack her back up and align with the alignment pins and proceed to wiggle and cajole and still no-go. As I lay under the car "thinking" about my options the 986forum advice I thought was the best was that if the transmission won't go in, just walk away and come back to it fresh the next day. I'm thinking this is sounding pretty good now. Just leave it for now and come back.

So I take a break and go inside. Grab a soda and sit down and ask the dog what he thinks I should do next. He isn't much on advice so I decide to give it one more try then call it a day. This time I am going to get rid of the alignment pins and just lift up the tranny, align it best I can and give it a try.

Which I did. I get under the car with the transmission aligned best I can tell and give it the heave and surprise, surprise she slides right in. All the way. Yeah! Get all the bolts in and call it a day.

Thanks 986forum!

Guide pin headless bolts into the trash!

Dave in TX
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #3131
Tranny issue

I'll venture that your obstacle has nothing to do with using headless bolts as guide pins; I have seen, and used, that technique several times.
I would predict that your clutch disc is not precisely centered on the axis of the pilot bearing in the flywheel, so that even though you get the transmission input shaft splines to go into those of the clutch disc, as the tip of the input shaft reaches the pilot bearing if it is off even a fraction of a millimeter it will not go into the pilot bearing inner race. Check the centering of your clutch disc again. To do so does not require removing the clutch pressure plate from the flywheel; just loosen its bolts around its periphery, evenly, until you can slide the clutch disc around using your pilot tool so that the disc is precisely centered.
Another, less difficult issue, might be that the splines of the input shaft are not aligned with those of the clutch disc. With the transmission teetering on the jack, it would be easier to rotate the engine's flywheel a few degrees by levering it with a screwdriver against one of your 'installation studs'.
Good luck with your project!
old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #3132
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Why would he do that if he already got it back in? Pay attention.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #3133

Garage
Got a sweet set of 996 headlamps to replace my burnt/cracked lenses. I like the old school look of the amber lenses with the Arctic Silver...
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #3134
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulmer View Post
Got a sweet set of 996 headlamps to replace my burnt/cracked lenses. I like the old school look of the amber lenses with the Arctic Silver...
Long Live the Amber Lenses. :dance:
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #3135

Put on my new knob and boot today. Still haven't decided if I want to keep it yet. What do you guys think?

boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #3136
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Put on my new knob and boot today. Still haven't decided if I want to keep it yet. What do you guys think?

You asked, I vote NO!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #3137

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Just a wash and tightened the front center caps
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #3138

Decided to open up the engine cover to see what was under there. To my surprise it was disgusting. Just acquired this car last month so checking air filter and other things. I went ahead and grabbed a toothbrush and a shop vac to get some things cleaned up. Before and after pics.

Last edited by Vfrealtor405; 02-18-2017 at 11:31 PM. Reason: need to add another image
Vfrealtor405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:27 AM   #3139

Garage
Did the monthly 6" roll to prevent flat spots while it is in storage. Also verified that the battery minder is doing its job.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:29 AM   #3140
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
Hmmm...... no.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote