Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2023, 04:55 AM   #6641

Garage
I clay barred, compounded, polished and waxed her, she looks pretty fantastic for a 24 year old car!

This past weekend I replaced the front sway bar bushings in attempt to silence an annoying chatter. It seems to have solved the problem.

Last edited by pilut2; 05-10-2023 at 04:48 AM.
pilut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:16 PM   #6642
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I had a fun day at Rallycross with my '04 parts car and met up with Andre to hand off parts to fix his 'engine fire' 2001 car.

It ran great the whole day with a few advisory lights for known reasons and parts uninstalled. I'm not quite sure what to do with this one next. Maybe find a salvage car to part it into.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:27 PM   #6643

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I had a fun day at Rallycross with my '04 parts car and met up with Andre to hand off parts to fix his 'engine fire' 2001 car.

It ran great the whole day with a few advisory lights for known reasons and parts uninstalled. I'm not quite sure what to do with this one next. Maybe find a salvage car to part it into.
Looks fun! How`s the Terrible 99?
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:37 PM   #6644

Garage
I replaced the seal in the differential because it was leaking. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Also, I rebuilt these guys. All boots were shot so I had to wash out all the old grease and dirt in gasoline, hence the newish appearance.

Old 05-29-2023, 05:15 AM   #6645

Beauty Session

Yesterday amongst other household and yard chores I finally got a chance to really clean and detail the exterior on my 2002 Box. I was going to do it in a couple sessions and days but that made no sense, just get'r done. I'm a 10 month owner of this beautiful car but have never "Clayed" a car or used Ceramic Wax in my life. I'm a carnauba guy.

Two deep paint defects kinda "faded" but didn't come out completely. So at some point I'll deal with those with a cleaner-wax or light sanding. But the car has to be at least 2 shades brighter taking off all the crap that has built-up over 21 years. And it looked good before!
Results were stunning though it took 5+ hours. This all by hand. One thing revealed is every tiny bump & dent that was never seen before. I clayed the windshield and side windows too.

Today after cleaning gutters and such I'll try and get the wheels off the car for cleaning and address the door and trunk jambs. I might give it one more coat of the ceramic wax and use my buffer this time. I do find "by-hand" the most effective and makes you touch and see every single part of your car. Kinda "car therapy".

Took a quickie ride to Rye, NY (20 minutes away) and Rye Playland just before dinner. My present to myself this Memorial Day weekend. Hopefully more later on today.

Last edited by stagewex; 05-29-2023 at 05:20 AM.
stagewex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:56 AM   #6646
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Looks fun! How`s the Terrible 99?
Great job on the axles and seal.

The '99 is still terrible. I put a good top on it, fixed damaged PS tubing, and cleaned it up a bit. The big disappointment that I didn't document yet is that it has some serious rust under the battery tray. Not something I usually look for. Still deciding if i want to restore it or strip it. ...parts from the '04 could make it nice again, but that's a lot of labor.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:50 AM   #6647

Recharged my AC to the appropriate pressure, blows ice cold now. Seems like everything is fine with the car lately, moving to preventative work like the water pump/engine mount next.
Hasdrubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:15 PM   #6648

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Great job on the axles and seal.

The '99 is still terrible. I put a good top on it, fixed damaged PS tubing, and cleaned it up a bit. The big disappointment that I didn't document yet is that it has some serious rust under the battery tray. Not something I usually look for. Still deciding if i want to restore it or strip it. ...parts from the '04 could make it nice again, but that's a lot of labor.
Please document it, seeing yours makes me feel mine is not such a s*tbox after all
Old 06-04-2023, 07:25 PM   #6649

Route 66

Not today, but over the past 16 days, I went with a friend from 6th grade (51 years ago) and another couple in another car (friends from 40 years ago) went on an epic Route 66 trip. We stayed almost exclusively off the interstate whenever the highway could be driven without dead-ends, probably 95% of the non-Interstate route that still exists.

Car museums, historical museums, old diners, motels, gas stations, scenic detours, twisty roads thrown in, all family restaurants. Over 5,400 miles driving the route and coming home. 2001S now has over 164,000 miles on it,

DBear

dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:02 AM   #6650

Lucy the Elephant

Over the weekend I drove down to Atlantic City (151 miles) for a quickie Convention/business meeting. Staying at the Hard Rock which was very nice especially after the Seminole Nation took it over and refurbed everything. Prior it was the Trump Taj Mahal and pretty much disgusting before abandoned and chained closed.
Took a side trip on the way home to visit "Lucy the Elephant" up the road 5-6 miles to Margate, NJ. as a roadside anomaly. Something to see up close. During the Pandemic they rented it as an Airbnb.

Silver Bullet is looking dapper at the hotel check-in after 3 hours/151 miles straight-shot, top down and speeds of 100+ more than a few times. Of course that wasn't because I was driving a Porsche... it was because I was in NJ and everyone was driving 100+mph:

Lucy, been here since the early 1900's but has been rebuilt a few times. See the window in the upper front leg. Yes you can go/climb into it:

You could definitely fit a few Boxsters inside:
stagewex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:44 AM   #6651
PLP

I went to buy gas on Sunday, coming back from the Motor-Stadt’s 50th anniversary.
After the two drives during the meet I was running low on the way home.
The Mile to Empty was still showing 40 miles when I pulled up the the pump.

I pumped 14.6 gallons (first click).
I do not think i had 40 miles left to go

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:25 AM   #6652

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear61 View Post
Not today, but over the past 16 days, I went with a friend from 6th grade (51 years ago) and another couple in another car (friends from 40 years ago) went on an epic Route 66 trip. We stayed almost exclusively off the interstate whenever the highway could be driven without dead-ends, probably 95% of the non-Interstate route that still exists.

Car museums, historical museums, old diners, motels, gas stations, scenic detours, twisty roads thrown in, all family restaurants. Over 5,400 miles driving the route and coming home. 2001S now has over 164,000 miles on it,

DBear
What a great trip!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:30 AM   #6653
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Really cool trips, guys. Just looks like you took my Boxster for that tour, stagewax, awesome. Now I just need to photoshop the license plate

One day, I will do a gigantic Can/US tour in my hotrod uh Boxster and visit places

Last edited by BRAN; 06-05-2023 at 11:38 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 11:41 AM   #6654

Making final preps for my move from central PA to southern Maine. I was supposed to drive a few weeks ago, but on the way to the local shop for a new safety inspection, the water pump went out and took the alternator and some other stuff with it. Thankfully this happened on the way to the shop and not 50 miles into my trip and in the middle of nowhere. It's all good now, but perhaps I should have replaced the water pump when I did the engine mount a couple of years ago. Ah, hindsight.

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 10:24 AM   #6655

Southwest Washington state to BC Canada

&00 miles round trip in my first real round-trip this year.
No issues, 2000 S, great car. This was too expectations as I have always keep her "good to go" over my 19 years/90K ownership.

The only comment from the trip is "I did not see a single 986 on the entire trip"

David.
Luckyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:45 AM   #6656

Had a little fun with a Dodge Charger in the Sierra foothills. We were held up by slower vehicles for a distance, then able to cut loose with no one around for about twenty miles. He was right on me, until we hit tight turns, where I would lose him. Then he would fly up, because I kept it under 95 on the straighter sections, only to lose him again in the turns. He finally passed me when I caught up to slower traffic and he ignored the double yellow.

The wife just looked at me and said, "Well that made the drive worthwhile, didn't it?" I guess the smile that wouldn't go away made her think I was having a good time.
CenCal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 09:16 AM   #6657

Coolant pressure valve replacement

Found a nice crack in the lower portion of the pressure valve above the coolant tank.
After 24 years and 68000 miles. Boxster S
Scratched my head wondering why I was loosing antifreeze.
New part on its way.
If your getting condensation (actually antifreeze) on the trunk lid on the right side
And fluid out the tube behind the rear passenger tire, could be a faulty or cracked valve. Easy fix. 7mm socket. The heads of the screws are not very thick so
you will need to use a flat socket that can grab the head. My Craftsman socket is rounded on the end and would not grab on.

Eric

Last edited by EPulver; 06-29-2023 at 09:18 AM.
EPulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:24 PM   #6658

And now I have relocated to the Portsmouth, NH area. I drove from central PA to Portsmouth on Saturday and had a perfectly uneventful 470-mile trip. Beautiful weather was a bonus but I certainly felt every bump and pothole along the way. Almost every bridge (no matter how small) seemed to cause a "bam-bam" on each side of it that made me wonder just how much the car could take. I may have cussed out a state or two regarding their roads.

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 11:02 AM   #6659

Adjusted my driver’s window to seal better. Hopefully no more leaking.
Zogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:59 AM   #6660

It wasn't today, but it marks a transition point. I was doing an HPDE last weekend and at the start of my third session on Sunday I got a funky idle and a CEL, with a P1341 code for Inlet camshaft bank 1. My buddy has a Durametric so we are going to check camshaft deviation and then go from there. Probably an engine out process, so my journey starts with a Quickjack which is being delivered today. Hopefully it is just the chain guides, based on the plastic shavings in the oil filter, but there is a bunch of other stuff I want to do, and having the engine out will make a lot of that easier.

redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote