Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 05:05 AM   #5501

Installed a Schnell short shift kit, and wrapped it up with a Redline Goods custom boot and RennLine shift knob. I've always been a bit surprised at how long the factory throw is on the shifter. Not bad, but I certainly like the short throw better.

Not a bad project at all. Schnell's instructions are very clear, and the Redline Goods boot fits the factory bezel tabs perfectly. I did have to cut the top of the boot down because it was made to be used with the integrated factory knob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:36 AM   #5502

Cool

Shipped it off to Flat 6 Innovations for a 3.8L Stage II Track Performer build.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #5503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana S View Post
Shipped it off to Flat 6 Innovations for a 3.8L Stage II Track Performer build.
Great, keep us posted! Mine ships to F6I in July for an Aug 01 start date. 3.8L Stage 1+ Street Performer with dyno tune and a bunch of add-ons.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:00 AM   #5504

Found this little treat while changing my oil. Lord knows how long it’s been in there

Aggromuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #5505

I mounted my Klisstle roll bar covers on my Boxster. They look great and are way easier to paint and install than removing the roll bar. They can be easily removed to put the car back to stock too. If you are interested he has a post on the Boxster Parts for Sale forum here.
Attached Images

BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #5506

Nails and screws are an occupational hazard for me. I build houses. Probably find one every other month in one of my vehicle. That one doesn't look like it's been in there all that long. You could probably plug that your self
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #5507

I have owned my 1998 Boxster 986 for exactly one year today. I put together a little video to share all of the build/maintenance/etc I've done this year.

https://youtu.be/RvrRY1xsomk
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #5508

TTGator - enjoying your videos. Nice work and thanks for posting.

Just ordered a water pump, thermostat and belt. And spark plugs and plug tubes. I'm going to get those done over the next few weeks.

It's starting to warm up in Vancouver BC area. I'm looking forward to insuring and driving my Boxster after a winter of maintenance, upgrades and repairs.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:12 PM   #5509

Thanks Zzorro! Good luck!
2015 Ninja 300
Old 03-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #5510
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRickel View Post
I mounted my Klisstle roll bar covers on my Boxster. They look great and are way easier to paint and install than removing the roll bar. They can be easily removed to put the car back to stock too. If you are interested he has a post on the Boxster Parts for Sale forum here.
It's almost like they're invisible. Those look like they blend in, you can't even see them.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #5511

Garage
Front end noise resolved.

When I bought my 986 there was a distinct squeak and clunk each time I drove over a bump in the road. Since then I replaced both drop links, inner and outer ball joints, coffin arms and tuning forks (for loss of the proper name). All went well but none of this resolved the front end noise. Understanding that it could ultimately be strut or bushing related, I changed out the sway bar bushings to attempt an option of lesser cost and ease of replacement. Well, that did the trick. All front end noises are resolved. Feels so good to have finally fixed the problem.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #5512

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgill View Post
When I bought my 986 there was a distinct squeak and clunk each time I drove over a bump in the road. Since then I replaced both drop links, inner and outer ball joints, coffin arms and tuning forks (for loss of the proper name). All went well but none of this resolved the front end noise. Understanding that it could ultimately be strut or bushing related, I changed out the sway bar bushings to attempt an option of lesser cost and ease of replacement. Well, that did the trick. All front end noises are resolved. Feels so good to have finally fixed the problem.
Nicely done. Do you have a DIY of it to watch/read? I’m thinking about doing this for my Cayman.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #5513

For those of you that saw the horror of a paint job I got recently, I just posted the happy end to the story:

https://youtu.be/u0VKBv8_KC8
2015 Ninja 300
Old 03-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #5514

Garage
I found this Road and Race video to be very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEVIZmUDgug&t=1s
Old 03-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #5515

Garage
Spring drive

Took the car out of winter storage, addressed an oil leak off the oil filter and looking forward to some additional warm spring weather.
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:25 AM   #5516

Well I have another doctors appointment due to the boxster today!! After doing some suspension work and replacing the aos, had 2 cracked ribs and a pulled muscle in my back- dont ask!!

Everything is getting better now but must have a pinched sciatic nerve because the pain running down my left leg is unbearable! I am having to remove all sharp objects from the house as I was contemplating amputating my leg and figuring out how I can still drive the boxster .

Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:13 AM   #5517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboggs View Post
Well I have another doctors appointment due to the boxster today!! After doing some suspension work and replacing the aos, had 2 cracked ribs and a pulled muscle in my back- dont ask!!

Everything is getting better now but must have a pinched sciatic nerve because the pain running down my left leg is unbearable! .
Old 03-12-2020, 06:05 AM   #5518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboggs View Post

Everything is getting better now but must have a pinched sciatic nerve because the pain running down my left leg is unbearable! I am having to remove all sharp objects from the house as I was contemplating amputating my leg and figuring out how I can still drive the boxster .

Wow, hope you feel better soon, Kboggs!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #5519

I quarantined myself in the garage this morning to change out my spark plugs and tubes.

Previous Owner had Bosch Platinum 4s, no idea how old. I went with NGK G-powers.

The plug tubes came out by hand. No boat plug or "special" tools. The new ones were harder to push back in than the old ones were to pull out. I wonder if anyone else has had the same experience? Assume that the orings had shrunk with age maybe?

Bad news is that all my coils have small cracks, so I'll get those on order. I'll be back under there to do the water pump and thermostat soon. Those part are already waiting on my shelf.

Thanks again for all the good advise and guidance on this here forum I'm really enjoying this boxster rehab.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #5520

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Wow, hope you feel better soon, Kboggs!

Thanks! But not yet!! Hope something gives soon. Having to almost cry and walk with a cane at 45 aint right!!!!!

Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote