Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #4501

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Looks great Fred. What mesh did you use for the vents? I'd like to try some of that on my front radiator grills.
Thanks. The mesh is from Custom Car Grills (just google their name). While it may look similar, it is much stronger and much more robust than rain gutter screen. It seriously holds a bend (or its flat shape or any shape you can form it into) and is 77% open vs. full open (no grill). CCG has a wide range of grill material in different finishes and styles along with grill edging material and other helpful stuff. They also list open area info, thickness, material type, etc to help with choosing the appropriate material.

For my front radiator/air con grills I used this same hex material secured with zip ties (there’s a post on that here somewhere) For the side vents I secured the screens with Auto Goop. Auto Goop is pretty amazing for this type of application. Between the strength of the grill material and the Auto Goop it would be very difficult for the grill to be compromised. The gloss black powder coated hex material looks pretty cool also.

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 08-29-2018 at 02:47 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #4502
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Thanks. The mesh is from Custom Car Grills (just google their name). ...
Awesome. I just checked them out. Lots of cool stuff available. Now I'm thinking of metal wind deflector for the roll bar hoops too:
48% flow, 16" x 48" sheet should do it. Use the old ones as a pattern...
Old 08-28-2018, 07:46 PM   #4503

Quote:
Awesome. I just checked them out. Lots of cool stuff available. Now I'm thinking of metal wind deflector for the roll bar hoops too:
Never thought of that. It could be a pretty cool custom touch.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 08-28-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:11 PM   #4504

Tough decision made

I decided to drop the Brombacher “sound-version” muffler and mount the Brombacher “tuv-version” instead. I simply got a headache from the loud version - the constant bass too much for my taste.
Very happy with the slightly quieter but still beefy sound at high revs.
Thanks to Lucas at Brombacher for co-operation!
Old 08-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #4505

Garage
Quote:
How would you hold them in the hoops? Use the frame of the old ones and cut out the center portion?
dlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:12 AM   #4506

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlud View Post
How would you hold them in the hoops? Use the frame of the old ones and cut out the center portion?
The plastic frame is probably the biggest flaw of the original ones. One of the tabs just fell off on one of my '99s when I was cleaning it. For this project I plan to fold the metal to have a very similar shape to the original, all metal with a rubber strip for edging.

Here's my quick concept in cardboard.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #4507

Garage
Quote:
The plastic frame is probably the biggest flaw of the original ones. One of the tabs just fell off on one of my '99s when I was cleaning it. For this project I plan to fold the metal to have a very similar shape to the original, all metal with a rubber strip for edging.

Here's my quick concept in cardboard.
Good idea! Especially considering the price for the Porsche replacements. I wonder if you couldn't use aluminum channel for the perimeter and then anneal it to make it flexible enough to conform to the roll bar.

For annealing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxhdFsrzSmY
dlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #4508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruich10 View Post
I decided to drop the Brombacher “sound-version” muffler and mount the Brombacher “tuv-version” instead. I simply got a headache from the loud version - the constant bass too much for my taste.
Very happy with the slightly quieter but still beefy sound at high revs.
Thanks to Lucas at Brombacher for co-operation!
I received my sound version this week, you have me a little worried. Probably wont install untill late sept or early october. Plan on a dyno pull first to establish a baseline to see if any performance gains or not. Certainly a nice looking piece of art.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #4509

Participated in our first event since moving to the Hudson Valley Region of the PCA. Made a bunch of new friends and to top it off we won our class in the People’s Choice Concours. Thanks everyone for your votes and your warm welcome! It’s super to be acknowledged by your peers.

Next Saturday we have ~24 cars joining for a day run up Hawks Nest for lunch.

Good stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #4510

Looks like summer is over in NY!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #4511
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
My wife and I have had great times with PCA and made new friends everywhere we go. Congrats on the concours win. Be careful, it can become addicting. Next thing you know, you'll be buying q-tips by the case.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:54 PM   #4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Here as well, only going to 97 F on Monday
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:11 AM   #4513

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
our summer weather has been weird this season. Either hot and humid or raining. Over 9” of rain in August. Not normal for here at all. Yesterday was cloudy and in the high 50s. At least it didn’t rain during the event.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:21 AM   #4514

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
My wife and I have had great times with PCA and made new friends everywhere we go. Congrats on the concours win. Be careful, it can become addicting. Next thing you know, you'll be buying q-tips by the case.
Thanks! I’m already checking with Amazon to see if I can put q-tips on automatic reorder We are impressed with the inclusive nature of the Hudson Valley Region. Everything from 356s to the latest GT3s with a good mix of interests from track hounds to cruisers.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #4515

Garage
Today I installed some simple metal wind deflectors and a Celeste Fig tree.

I had originally thought of making the deflectors a lot more complicated with multiple bends and folds around the edge and a Brown Turkey Fig. The roots of the Celeste are a lot less invasive and the complex folds to frame the wind deflector didn't improve it much over a simple cut sheet.

Congrats Fred on the Concours!
Old 09-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #4516

Quote:

I had originally thought of making the deflectors a lot more complicated with multiple bends and folds around the edge and a Brown Turkey Fig. The roots of the Celeste are a lot less invasive and the complex folds to frame the wind deflector didn't improve it much over a simple cut sheet.

Nice fig tree! I went with a gingko, myself.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #4517
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Nice fig tree! I went with a gingko, myself.
Hopefully not a female ginkgo...the fruit is very acidic and stinky; if installed per pic, could lead to stained carpets. I love the natural look, but in this instance I'd have gone artificial which would provide the added benefit of being able to install either hinges or a telescopic system allowing retraction if the top needed to be up.

Nice inserts though.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #4518

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I received my sound version this week, you have me a little worried. Probably wont install untill late sept or early october. Plan on a dyno pull first to establish a baseline to see if any performance gains or not. Certainly a nice looking piece of art.
Obviously people will have differing opinions on exhaust sound, but I have the Brombacher Sound Version and I think it sounds great! I even added bypass pipes to add a little more sound. Quiet with zero drone cruising on the highway, but pure Porsche flat 6 sound on acceleration. Tunnels are the best!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #4519

Quote:

You did use the proper German engineered soil didn’t you? Otherwise the roots won’t take and the tree will need to be replaced the next time you do a clutch job...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:42 AM   #4520

Great tour yesterday to Hawk’s Nest with our fellow HV-PCA members. We had 25 participants and excellent weather!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk