Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #4441

Garage
Drop Link Replacement

Yesterday my replacement drop links arrived from "autochassistaiwan". So I got straight to it and changed over the rear links that afternoon. This morning I jack the font up and lo and behold they have sent me the wrong front links. Between the time I placed the order and the time I received them they have amended the listing by removing where it says suits the Boxster. When I sent them a message they replied saying they would refund half but whAT i want are the correct links.

Bummer

see the listing here https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-FRONT-2-REAR-SWAY-BAR-LINKS-PORSCHE-911-99-05/332289525464?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Boatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #4442
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatin View Post
Yesterday my replacement drop links arrived from "autochassistaiwan". So I got straight to it and changed over the rear links that afternoon. This morning I jack the font up and lo and behold they have sent me the wrong front links. Between the time I placed the order and the time I received them they have amended the listing by removing where it says suits the Boxster. When I sent them a message they replied saying they would refund half but whAT i want are the correct links.

Bummer

see the listing here https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-FRONT-2-REAR-SWAY-BAR-LINKS-PORSCHE-911-99-05/332289525464?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Contact Ebay Customer Service at this number 1 866 540 3229 and explain what happen, and they will contact the seller a get it straighten out for you.....
Old 08-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #4443

Garage
Thanks Lew, I got a message back last night and they are sending replacements.Apparently the front and rear are the same !
Boatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:27 PM   #4444
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Did some work on my brake system. Replaced the rubber brake lines with Stoptech stainless steel lines, replaced the pads with new Brembos and flushed the system with fresh fluid using my Motive power bleeder. This is my first time doing work on the brakes and other than a couple of hiccups it all went well. That power bleeder makes fluid changes so easy.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #4445
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Added center console stereo controls for volume up/down and seek/previous/next track. I'm using defrost buttons for now (thanks Woody!), but plan to make a set with the proper icons (my first attempt didn't look great ).
I also made the tactile buttons much softer than standard OEM buttons so they wouldn't be so "clicky".
While I was at it, I added steering wheel controls, but didn't get that on video and they're not as "OEM". Very convenient when my hands are occupied with the wheel and stick.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=VwJBSQL39VY

Oh yeah...also added door handle courtesy lights.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:36 PM   #4446

PW I like the curtesy light, did you just wire it to the door light?
Old 08-02-2018, 12:31 AM   #4447
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
PW I like the curtesy light, did you just wire it to the door light?
Yes. A single LED on a 1k ohm resistor so it's not too bright.
I originally planned to run a new wire to tap into the dash light circuit, but decided that I didn't want them on while driving at night. This way, they come on when the ignition is shut off or either door opened.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:57 AM   #4448

Did the pin #18 Top Relay hack, so the top can be lowered while moving.
2003 Boxster 986 2.7 Sold
1999 Boxster 986 2.5 Sold
Jim 'n' SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:40 AM   #4449
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1 for the power bleeder. I can't imagine changing fluid any other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
That power bleeder makes fluid changes so easy.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:16 AM   #4450
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Did some work on my brake system. Replaced the rubber brake lines with Stoptech stainless steel lines, replaced the pads with new Brembos and flushed the system with fresh fluid using my Motive power bleeder. This is my first time doing work on the brakes and other than a couple of hiccups it all went well. That power bleeder makes fluid changes so easy.

In regards to the Motive Pump. Do you pour Brake fluid in the pump or just use it dry for adding pressure and top off the master cylinder when needed. Also how many pounds do you pressurize the tank? I have the Motive and not real fond of it. I use a vacuum pump to bleed the brakes.

Thanks

Lew
Old 08-02-2018, 07:04 AM   #4451
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
In regards to the Motive Pump. Do you pour Brake fluid in the pump or just use it dry for adding pressure and top off the master cylinder when needed. Also how many pounds do you pressurize the tank? I have the Motive and not real fond of it. I use a vacuum pump to bleed the brakes.

Thanks

Lew
Lew, I didn't put any fluid in the bleeder itself. I removed old fluid from the reservoir and added new fluid to the very top. I then attached the bleeder and pumped it to 20 psi. I bled the brakes and kept an eye on the reservoir and pressure. Only once in the whole process did I have to relieve the pressure and add fluid when it got down to the MIN mark. In total I used about 3/4 of a litre of fluid.

Clean up was a breeze since the pump does not actually touch the fluid so only the drain lines need to be cleaned. Like I said the whole process was much easier than I thought it would be.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #4452
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I siphon off some fluid in the reservoir and then top it off with fresh. The rest goes in the pump. I always have alcohol around for wood working. Rinsing out the bottle and hose is simple and fast. My instructions state 15 psi for leak testing and not to exceed 20 psi for bleeding. I love this thing.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #4453

The Motive Bleeder works fine either wet or dry and do keep pressure below 20 PSI.

Personally, I prefer dry but either way beats the heck out of finding someone to pump the brake pedal while you bleed / flush.

Good luck
Old 08-03-2018, 08:28 AM   #4454

Garage
The Motiv makes brakes bleeding a breeze; however, I could not remove the plastic lid from the reservoire so I filled the Motiv instead
Old 08-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #4455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
The Motive Bleeder works fine either wet or dry and do keep pressure below 20 PSI.

Personally, I prefer dry but either way beats the heck out of finding someone to pump the brake pedal while you bleed / flush.

Good luck
I am not sure how you can bleed the clutch without a Motive Bleeder as the manual calls "pressurize the system and hold the pedal to the floor for 20 seconds..."
and yes, during those 20 seconds you will get at least one of the large break fluid containers flushed through your car.

To avoid the risk of pushing air through the system, I just pour 'two' large containers into the Motive bottle before opening the bleeder at the slave cylinder :-)
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #4456
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Today I swapped some parts between THIS and THAT. My daughter has taken over THAT as her DD and I'll eventually give it to her. In the mean time, I wanted to get the Litronics, Sport Classics, and ashtray delete on THIS (my '99 DD). THAT is now back to a stock look with amber lights and turbo twists. She can keep the M030
Old 08-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #4457

Finished my lights, finished my top adjustments. Applied some rubber bumpers and anti-squeak tape to all contact points. It really works great by the way. Rattles and squeaks all gone. ��

Last edited by JBauer; 08-05-2018 at 01:26 PM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #4458
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Several have said it's the DMF. One said, when you press in the clutch and don't hear the rattle when shutting down the engine, it's the flywheel. Someone said a spring is broken in the flywheel. One said it's the transmission.
I just cannot believe this rattle is the DMF, or Transmission. My thoughts are it's the muffler, or cats. I have rubber hammered around several times but don't hear or see anything loose. Dr. Know around?
I was able to talk with a Porsche Tech at the Dealership the other day when picking up a part about this rattle I am hearing when shutting down the engine with the clutch out, and with the clutch depressed, no rattle. He mentioned it sounds like a rusty release bearing. He said we see that sometime. I also spoke to a indie about the rattle, and right off he said it's the throw out bearing. He is going to check it out later this week.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #4459

Garage
After nearly getting rear ended by a texting driver this morning.

I finally installed a Brake Light Flasher on my middle brake light this afternoon. I had put one on my other car a year ago, but never got around to installing this one on the Boxster. It's a simple install and I'm glad to have finally done it. Now when I hit the brakes it flashes 3 times quickly and then stays on as long as the break pedal is depressed.
Does it do any good?, well I can't say. But with all the inept drivers (it's an overstatement to refer to them as drivers) on the road, what can it hurt?
Old 08-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #4460
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A8ked View Post
After nearly getting rear ended by a texting driver this morning.

I finally installed a Brake Light Flasher on my middle brake light this afternoon. I had put one on my other car a year ago, but never got around to installing this one on the Boxster. It's a simple install and I'm glad to have finally done it. Now when I hit the brakes it flashes 3 times quickly and then stays on as long as the break pedal is depressed.
Does it do any good?, well I can't say. But with all the inept drivers (it's an overstatement to refer to them as drivers) on the road, what can it hurt?
Does it work like this video?

https://youtu.be/P_ORq2XyfMQ