Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2018, 01:00 AM   #4001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirsch990 View Post

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded the headlights on my '02.

Where is a good place to buy the upgraded lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #4002
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
Where is a good place to buy the upgraded lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine from Parts Geek.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #4003
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
I also sat in the car and rowed through the gears.

2 months to go!
Good to know I知 not the only one who does this.
I usually have a beer while I知 at it.
Only time I値l have a drink in the car.
Gotta have a little Boxster time in between snow shoveling.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #4004

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Good to know I知 not the only one who does this.
I usually have a beer while I知 at it.
Only time I値l have a drink in the car.
Gotta have a little Boxster time in between snow shoveling.
Must go with owning, my wife ask what I am doing in the garage. You know you have a problem when you start looking for an alternative reason other than looking at my Porsche.
😂😂😂
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #4005

Went out to check on it in the garage. The 8 year crappytire battery has given up the ghost. Need to find a replacement. Might swing by the VW dealer and grab a new type 48.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #4006

My passenger mirror has been broken for awhile, flopped around, tab broken. Have been putting off getting a good used one. Today I ran across a good drivers side mirror base that I forgot I still had. Wondered if the internals were the same. They are! 🙂 Switched them out. Works perfect 👌

Also bought and installed a better rear stop lamp. The one that came with the top was crap.

Good day.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #4007

Ordered the waterproof case for my immobilizer from ECUDoctors. I've wanted to do this for a while, now I finally have the time to take care of it...

Should be here in a couple of days.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #4008

Wrap practice

Had some scraps of vinyl laying around and thought I'd practice wrapping some stripes. Just eyeballed, next time I'll measure.
Anyone know a way to get the clearcoat film off after going this far? I forgot it had it 🙄

Old 02-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #4009
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Lift tickets are so expensive these days, I finally caved and bought a season pass for some spring skiing. To take my mind off of much a season pass costs, I installed my RTS (Roof Transport System), along with a new Porsche Ski Rack. I bought the rack last year but had never installed it before. It fits the horizantal bar rails perfectly, since it was made to pair with all Porsche roof racks. The only modification I need to make is that only one side of the rack is clamped down to the rails, so it rattles when empty. I need to slip a neoprene washer or some felt on the other end. It's much better than my ski box, because it's not as top heavy and doesn't catch as much wind.

Last edited by rick3000; 02-14-2018 at 03:17 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:48 PM   #4010

Finish Detailing Outside

I really like that strip and the color. If you want to remove it later is it easy to remove and leaves no film on the car?

I have been spending lots of time surfing for upgrade info ect... But main thing I did was complete the external portion of detailing my 00 S.

I had to use it as my daily driver for several months, even though I keep it washed and waxed it was over due a detailing. So broke the job up into several days last time I clay bar the whole car and waxed my back hurt for days.

Anyway no clay needed but did a polish and 2 coat wax job and detailed out the wheels and reapplied a coat of the wheel wax from Chemical guys. If you have never used the Chemical Guys wheel wax, I highly recommend it, makes the wheels shine and the brake dust will not stick great protection and easy to use.

Today will finish outside windows, and start on interior detailing. Also need to replace the broken vanity mirror on driver side, since its lighted that is scheduled for Sunday task.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #4011

Jbauer, I like your stripe, it compliments red perfectly. Can you post the exact color and source? I'm looking for a way to protect my hood as it gets rash from every drive. Instead of applying a clear coat I was thinking of just covering the entire hood as long as I am the caretaker of this car. When I eventually sell it I can reverse it. Charcoal =Cool.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #4012

https://www.rvinyl.com/3M-Films.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WPFX%20-%203M%20Wrap%20Search&utm_term=3m%20vinyl%20wrap&utm_content=3M%20-%20General

It's 3M 1080 series graphite metalic. It's a little to brownish for me. I bought some and did my hood solid with it. I didnt care for it and removed it. I just used the scraps to test my wire tape cutting skills.
I've reordered a silver to match my back to stockish colored wheels.

Last edited by JBauer; 02-15-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #4013

Messed up Black:

I was matching my wheel color at the time, Graphite:

Old 02-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #4014

Installed my new waterproof immobilizer case.

Not quite as easy as I thought it would be - the two harnesses still looked factory new, right down to the cloth tape wrapping them. I had to rip sections of the tape off in order to get the silicone sealer down in between the wires. The harnesses also fought me tooth and nail when I tried to mount the board into the new box - the board has to sit over two indexing pins and OMG, the harnesses kept making the board pop up, but I finally got it down and the cover on.

A really nice, well designed, and well put-together kit. If you follow the instructions (or the YouTube video) anyone can install it.

The whole process took about an hour and a half, including seat removal, vacuuming the area under the seat (I found a quarter!) to remove 17 years of dirt, etc.

I just need to clip the (super long) zip-tie and reinstall the seat (I'll do that tomorrow). Oh, and I'll probably need to clear the airbag light since I powered up the car with the drivers seat out to make sure everything still worked.

Last edited by BirdDog; 02-17-2018 at 10:28 PM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #4015

I finished detailing car. I also finally removed the driver sunvisor and installed the replacment vanity housing to fix the broken and missing mirror cover.

I cut the wires then solder the wires together and a little electric tape.

Good as new!
Old 02-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #4016

Put the drivers seat back in to finish up the waterproof immobilizer case installation.

Took her out for a nice long drive.

Came back and used my Durametric cable to clear the airbag light (drivers seat belt fault code caused by powering up the car to check the immobilizer without having the drivers seat installed).
Old 02-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #4017

I installed a Rennline throttle pedal cover, side extenders and the adjustment plate that goes underneath the pedal cover and a RAM mount. Next HPDE I'll be able to heal and toe and video.

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:47 AM   #4018

Garage
Switch front housing on a 6 spd trans

Bought a busted 6 spd trans from ebay and a used bell housing, only took two days, no special tools needed, I will install it when the temps go up, but it's ready to go, the trans is out of a 2004 Boxster S Limited Edition LE Spyder, with 35k miles, it was perfect on the inside, the inside magnet had no metal material or anything on it, all gears and synchro was perfect, no wear at all , here are some pics.

[img]http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02/20180217_144840_resized1519047548.jpg[/im

Attached Images

Last edited by frankle951; 02-19-2018 at 04:49 AM.
frankle951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:54 AM   #4019

Oh no

Had mine towed to an indy repair shop today for a flashing CEL issue that I was unable to diagnose. I'm afraid this one might cost a fortune. In the event it does, it will be time to part with it. Spent enough on it since I've owned it. Time to cut my losses. Love the car, hate the draining wallet. "Film at 11"...
Old 02-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #4020

Phone holder

Installed renline magnetic phone holder. Easy 10 minute job, including annoying neighbour talking ear off. Small foot print solid connection point, iphone now out of way, but in easy to view poisition.