Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #1

What kind of tire mileage are you getting?

I'm going to be buying new tires in the spring and am interested in what kind of mileage you are getting from your performance or all season tires. I want something that performs well in the summer, but at least lasts for 12000-15000 miles.
I often drive at high elevation in the mountains of Colorado and while I don't drive it in the winter months it is not uncommon to see temps in the 30's and 40's even during the summer. I have noticed several people talk about bad handling of summer tires below 40 degrees or so, not sure if that's enough of an issue to be concerend with.

Recommendations???

Old 09-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
I would be lucky to get 4k miles from a set of Nitto NT-05 rears. You want a nice set of All Season tires for your typical driving needs. They work in low temps and usually last much longer than max summer tires. A/S tires will sacrifice some dry weather grip in the tradeoff.

Last edited by Topless; 09-03-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #3

I have been using Kuhmo ASX on my 98 Base and 2K S for about 4 years, Both cars have been daily drivers year round. Mileage has been 15 to 22 K, The ASX has been discontinued and replaced by the 4X. I just put a set of these 4 new tires on the 2K S Saturday and had a 4 wheel alignment all for $750. Yesterday my wife and I took the car on a 400 mile cruise to break them in. Nice tire. The ASX was rated for 30 K miles and the new 4X is rated for 40 K miles. Kuhmo cuts the mileage warranty in half for staggered non rotated fitments.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

Toyo Proxes t1r - 8K, but great tyre
rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Big consideration is how you drive, what your doing with your car (track, daily driver, twisties) and your alignment setup. I have burned through sets of tires in under 2000 miles pushed hard on mountain twisties and I have gone 20,000 as a daily driver to and from work. So, depending on how your going to treat the tires you should budget accordingly.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #6

I have Yokohama S. Drives. They are Ultra High Performance Summer Tires.

When I bought the car 2 years ago, it already had these tires installed and they were in good condition and I could tell they were newish. I have driven 13,000 miles on them so far. I drive my car hard. Daily winter and summer.

I track my car and I attend autocross events. I have done a burn out and a donut and a few small drifts.

I lowered my car, which messed up the camber. I knew that would make uneven wear on the tire.

I looked at my tires last weekend and they were in great shape. Wear was nearly even and they still looked like new.

The S. Drives are amazing tires for longetivity and handling and grip. But they are pretty slippery in rain.
My friend had the same tires on his 350z, which he raced often and did donuts with. They lasted 3 years for him.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #7

I got around 14k out of my PS2 rears in mixed driving, no track use.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
I have Yokohama S. Drives. They are Ultra High Performance Summer Tires.

When I bought the car 2 years ago, it already had these tires installed and they were in good condition and I could tell they were newish. I have driven 13,000 miles on them so far. I drive my car hard. Daily winter and summer.

I track my car and I attend autocross events. I have done a burn out and a donut and a few small drifts.

I lowered my car, which messed up the camber. I knew that would make uneven wear on the tire.

I looked at my tires last weekend and they were in great shape. Wear was nearly even and they still looked like new.

The S. Drives are amazing tires for longetivity and handling and grip. But they are pretty slippery in rain.
My friend had the same tires on his 350z, which he raced often and did donuts with. They lasted 3 years for him.
Agree, S.Drives are a great combination tire. They have good (but not great) grip, handle well, work great in the rain, last a long time, and are pretty affordable. As an all around tire, they are hard to beat at an affordable price.

If you want to get more dry grip at the expense of wet grip while still being affordable and long lasting, try a set of Kumho Ectsa XS.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #9

I've got a 1999 Boxster and I have been pretty happy with Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs.

I get about 15,000 to 16,000 miles on the rear tires and easily over 30,000 miles on the front.

I don't track my car, but it is a daily driver and I did not have any issues in the snow this year.

I get them from TIRE RACK and have been very happy with the price considering that I have to change out rear tires every 15,000 miles.

MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #10

Thanks for the comments so far. I have never tracked my car and really never push it to its limits even though I like spirited driving and like to accelerate hard. I don't drive much in the rain, but wouldn't want to have a tire that handled really poorly in wet weather.

BTW- The tires I'll be replacing are Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS all season tires on the rear with about 15000 miles on them, and Dunlop SP Sport 9090's with about 25,000 miles on the front. (yes I know, I know they are mismatched). I want to get great handling and a reasonable amount of tire life this time around since its time to replace both the front and rears.

Keep your suggestions coming.

Last edited by Dave S.; 09-04-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
SoK

i'm on potenza's that were almost new when i bought the car 2 years ago this month. after about 18k miles being used as a daily driver year round, the tires are still in excellent shape with uniform wear. i don't have a tread depth, but they look to still have a lot of life left.

I'll hopefully be purchasing these again.

:edit: I don't move in the snow, i've tried. So when it snows, I just work from home.