Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #1

Key getting stuck in ignition - what is going on?

So my 02 S model with only 36k on it has been wanting to hang onto my key after I stop to get out. I have to fidget with it for 5-15 seconds until it finally lets go. Is this common? Am I looking at an expensive repair here? I did squirt a little WD40 in the slot but it didn't do much. Any ideas?

dascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #2

Porsche uses a crappy little Audi part for the ignition switch, which you can buy off eBay for $25 or so. Here's an example (not a recommendation to buy it from this seller....)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Starter-Switch-Fit-For-Audi-100-200-80-90-A4-A6-A8-Porsche-911-Passat-/120966042065?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1997%7CModel%3ABoxster&hash=item1c2a2351d1&vxp=mtr

The dealer will charge you $400 for this part AND the metal bit around it, but you don't need it.

The other thing that you will notice is your car's electrical system going haywire... wipers coming on without touching the switch, AC blowing, but no display, etc.

This little part goes out every 4-5 years in our cars if they're driven frequently. Not being able to get the key out is classic ignition switch failure. It's fallen apart inside and the key gets stuck.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 09-03-2012 at 04:47 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #3

Time for a new ignition switch!
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #4

better start doing your yoga stretches. might i suggest supta konasana...

Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #5

I recently had this problem on my 03 S. This is a known problem and Porsche came out with an updated part for this fix. This updated part requires you to replace the entire ignition switch. I would recommend replacing the entire ignition switch which is a $175 part from Porsche.

You can replace just the electrical part, which will run you about $30-40 dollars, but the problem will most likely come back in a few months/years.
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #6

Don't you want to use a dry lube like graphite for the ignition?
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #7

the problem is the plastic switch which porsche used. after years of turning it begins to degrade and no longer allows the mechanism to return to the fully off position meaning you have to fidget with it to get it to unlock.

i lived with mine like this for a year knowing that with each turn i was only wearing it out more and more. i learned to turn it hard to the left, then slightly back to the right while pulling out on the key. eventually though, my luck ran out and i was stuck at a gas pump for 10 minutes trying to get the car to turn back on. when that happened, i overnighted the part and replaced it. since then, it's been 100% again.

it took my plastic switch 10 years before it needed replacement. if i have to do it again in 10 years that's fine. it's still easier than replacing the entire assembly which requires removal of the headlight switches, dashboard pieces, gauge cluster. additionally, i believe the upgraded assembly was for 04+ cars. the OP has an 02.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #8

Garage
I'm with Tony on this one after just going through this on my '02S. It is a very simple fix with just one challenge which I'll get to in a moment. I had the same symptoms a couple months back with the key not releasing very easily. Then one time the radio didn't turn off after the key was removed. And also the night before it stuck pretty badly, the A/C wouldn't turn on during a return from movies where it worked on the way over. So this switch when it fails offers some pretty unusual electrical issues. After reading the forum & the 101 Projects website, I decided not to replace the whole assembly and start with changing just the electronic piece. The biggest challenge was getting the part removed as there is some red paint on the screws and it was very difficult to get access to laying upside down in the driver's side seat -- the posted pic here is very appropriate. If it has never been replaced, scraping off the paint on the screw head is challenging as it is blind. After trying some different mini screwdrivers but not able to generate enough torque with the small handles, the hardware guy finally suggested wrapping the handle with a bunch of tape to build it up so I could grip it. DUH! But that was the key (sorry for the pun). I'd suggest removing the part first so you can verify the part no & then order 2 at Pelican or wherever you prefer so you always can replace it again. My car only has 27K on the clock so I am thinking it will fail again at some point. Good luck, satisfying repair to do yourself.

Last edited by barkinfool; 09-05-2012 at 08:57 AM.
barkinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #9

I'm on my third switch at 110K. Updating to the new switch doesn't solve the problems. There have been owners on the forum that have had the new updated ones fail also. They bought a replacement switch and found out it didn't fit because a previous owner had updated the assembly to the newer style.
They are cheap enough that I keep a spare with a small screw driver in the frunk, just in case it goes out again and I am far away from home.
BTW, the last time it failed, I heard a crunching noise when I turned the key to try and start the car. The key went around 360º with no resistance and I could not start the car. Had to push start it to get it home.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 09-05-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dascar View Post
So my 02 S model with only 36k on it has been wanting to hang onto my key after I stop to get out. I have to fidget with it for 5-15 seconds until it finally lets go. Is this common? Am I looking at an expensive repair here? I did squirt a little WD40 in the slot but it didn't do much. Any ideas?
OMG Will someone please help them ? I do not want to repeat myself AGAIN. Please ???? Come on Danger, I know you bought a can !!!!!

milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote