View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #8
barkinfool

Garage
I'm with Tony on this one after just going through this on my '02S. It is a very simple fix with just one challenge which I'll get to in a moment. I had the same symptoms a couple months back with the key not releasing very easily. Then one time the radio didn't turn off after the key was removed. And also the night before it stuck pretty badly, the A/C wouldn't turn on during a return from movies where it worked on the way over. So this switch when it fails offers some pretty unusual electrical issues. After reading the forum & the 101 Projects website, I decided not to replace the whole assembly and start with changing just the electronic piece. The biggest challenge was getting the part removed as there is some red paint on the screws and it was very difficult to get access to laying upside down in the driver's side seat -- the posted pic here is very appropriate. If it has never been replaced, scraping off the paint on the screw head is challenging as it is blind. After trying some different mini screwdrivers but not able to generate enough torque with the small handles, the hardware guy finally suggested wrapping the handle with a bunch of tape to build it up so I could grip it. DUH! But that was the key (sorry for the pun). I'd suggest removing the part first so you can verify the part no & then order 2 at Pelican or wherever you prefer so you always can replace it again. My car only has 27K on the clock so I am thinking it will fail again at some point. Good luck, satisfying repair to do yourself.

Last edited by barkinfool; 09-05-2012 at 08:57 AM.
barkinfool is offline   Reply With Quote