Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #1

2000 Boxster wont start

My car was sitting for a few months and then I tried to start it but it was dead. Replaced the battery and drove to the garage to get petrol as there was only about 20 miles left in the tank. The car died on the way so I got some petrol and it drove a few miles more before dying. The following day it started but died after 5 minutes
I replaced the crank sensor but it still wont start
The car turns over fine, just does not ignite

What else could be wrong? How can I test the fuel pump?

Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

My 99 was sitting in the garage for 2 weeks and would not start. Could not smell gas out the exhaust after cranking the engine. So, I replaced the fuel pump and engine started. I did not check pressure, just went on to replace pump. I just went with the idea that fuel pumps go bad around 100k. I was at 90k. At $200.00 I took the gamble and won. Good luck with the change out.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
One of the issues may be your fuel pump. Being that they are in the fuel tank, the petrol provides cooling for the pump and running these cars dry can damage the fuel pump. You may have tanked your fuel pump.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
How can I test the fuel pump?
I read on a thread here once that if you take off the gas cap and listen in the filler neck, you can hear the fuel pump making a whirring noise, if you let someone else turn on the ignition without starting the engine while you listen.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 08-22-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #5

Check your fuses first, see if any codes are thrown...but I am inclined that you have a bad fuel pump too.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote