Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #1

GT 86 vs used Cayman S

Check this video. Good stuff
Is The Toyobaru As Awesome As A Used Porsche Cayman S?

surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Fun video, enjoyed it!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Awesome!!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #4

I parked my car next to the Scion at the dealership. The Toyota/Subaru did carbon copy the Boxster/Cayman dimensionally, all the way down to the driving position.

The steering on the Z does feel numb. In fact it feels dead and the car weights like a boat.

I'll take the Cayman with the drop top, thanks!

Last edited by ekam; 08-16-2012 at 06:45 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #5

Well I own an 986 and I went to drive the Scion FR-S last week.
1. Electric Steering was surprisingly responsive, handling felt good.
2. Rear trunk was same size as boxster rear trunk. Maybe an inch taller.
3. Back seats only fit people 5'9" and shorter. No space to move your feet or toes because they go under the low front seats.
4. Eventhough the 0-60mph time is fractionally slower than a 986, it felt much slower.

Conclusion. The Boxster is quicker, more powerful, faster, has more trunk space, handles better, sounds better, and is cheaper.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
recycledsixtie

Garage
As they say in the UK brilliant.
Totally unlike the Acura adv. on tv, great driving skills and I even enjoy listening to the driver. Thanks for that Surf. A fun Toyota - it is possible!But I will stick with my Box.
though.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
SoK

drove my dads 350z the last 10 days while i was waiting to install my window regulator. i was so excited to get back in my car after, and i'm in a base boxster.

the z felt slower, i felt less connected to the car, i just didn't care for it.

wish i had an s now...
Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
3. Back seats only fit people 5'9" and shorter. No space to move your feet or toes
With my 6'2" frame, the front seat was pushed all the way back so it was touching the rear seats. They're just dog seats just like in a 911 - not meant for humans unless they're toddlers!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #9

But one of my favorite things about the FR-S/BRZ/GT-86 is that the interior looks like a refreshed 986 Boxster interior.
Air vents are same design and shape. Dash is the same shape. Tachometer is in middle. The Interior design reminds me very much of my 986.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #10

Driving position in the GT86 is definitely better than a 986.

As for the 986 handling being better, I would say nope. It's different, but not better. GT86 is probably more fun on the pure handling front. 986s have too much grip, not enough adjustability by comparison.

But the Box is still a nicer all rounder. Miles nicer engine. Nicer gear change. Prettier. Just a lot more desirable.

And yes, even a base 2.5 Boxster feels significantly quicker than a GT86. I spent a day driving the GT86 and it's a great car. But it doesn't even feel like 200hp. More like 160, 170 tops. It's still a riot to drive.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #11

Garage
Gotta admit ......I really enjoy a Chris Harris review
Old 08-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
Porscheectomy

I've driven the FR-S with a nice set of coil-overs. The seating position is completely different from the Boxster. The car feels much bigger than it is, there's alot of car both in front and behind you. The view is much more traditional front-engine than the Porsche. Lots of hood up there.

The car feels great. You can really push it over the limit, safely, on the street. Low limit with an engine you can thrash. The controls are raw and unfiltered. It reminds me alot of my Rx-7. This is a real sports car, folks. Great, grippy seats too. Yes, the Porsche will kill it in any category you can measure, but the Toyota is more fun to drive.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Good test and it pointed out THE exact problem with the FR-S: there are much much better/faster/nicer used cars on the market for the same price. Why buy a so-so new car when you can buy an excellent used car?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Good test and it pointed out THE exact problem with the FR-S: there are much much better/faster/nicer used cars on the market for the same price. Why buy a so-so new car when you can buy an excellent used car?
It's far from so-so. Drive one.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #15

Seriously guys... this is a $27K car, and you're trying to compare it to a $75K car then say it's not as good. It is an excellent car for what it's designed to do... very similar to the Miata. Comparing to a used Caymen or Boxster is no different than trying to compare the new 981 to a used Ferrari for almost the same price. If you want to compare the Toyobaru to a used Porsche also factor in the maintenance costs and see where it goes.

I'm thrilled with my 12 year old Boxster but I don't need to justify that it is somehow better than a new Toyota
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #16

Funny video agree about comparisons seeming odd ... Although really I was in the same boat a few months ago when I was buying my Boxster... thinking about Nissan 350 or 370, BMW Z4, Boxster etc... and also reading a bit about future specs of the Scion... Glad I got my Boxster.

All that said I'd love to trade my Scion XD for a FR-S at some point. Heh.

Last edited by mcomet; 08-17-2012 at 05:32 AM.
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
Seriously guys... this is a $27K car, and you're trying to compare it to a $75K car then say it's not as good. It is an excellent car for what it's designed to do... very similar to the Miata. Comparing to a used Caymen or Boxster is no different than trying to compare the new 981 to a used Ferrari for almost the same price. If you want to compare the Toyobaru to a used Porsche also factor in the maintenance costs and see where it goes.

I'm thrilled with my 12 year old Boxster but I don't need to justify that it is somehow better than a new Toyota
+1. Also, I recommend this topic be revisited in 5 years and compare reliability, fuel economy, and resale value in addition to maintenance costs. I'm betting that few if any of the BRZs will have a complete engine failure, but a lot of the Boxsters will.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
+1. Also, I recommend this topic be revisited in 5 years and compare reliability, fuel economy, and resale value in addition to maintenance costs. I'm betting that few if any of the BRZs will have a complete engine failure, but a lot of the Boxsters will.
Subaru motor is not without its problems either mind you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Led0ds4MY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW6FZocQFWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS37L1G8lnA

Earlier 90's motors are notorious for head gasket problems.

Remember kids, grass is always greener on the other side.

Last edited by ekam; 08-17-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #19
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Subaru motor is not without its problems either mind you.

Subaru engine failure. - YouTube

2009 Subaru WRX Engine Failure - YouTube

Subaru engine knock. Big end bearing failure. - YouTube

Earlier 90's motors are notorious for head gasket problems.

Remember kids, grass is always greener on the other side.
A seeping head gasket on a car with significant boost is a minor annoyance, not a car ending disaster. Most catastrophic failures in these cars are due to modifications.

+1 to johnsimion's comments. I have 115,000 miles on my WRX. It's been in the shop once in the last 4 years. That was a head gasket and a timing belt and water pump for less than $800.

The BRZ/FR-S has a strong potential for long term reliability judging by the past products of its manufacturers.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #20

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2171114

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/299148-big-end-failure-wahh.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
A seeping head gasket on a car with significant boost is a minor annoyance, not a car ending disaster. Most catastrophic failures in these cars are due to modifications.

+1 to johnsimion's comments. I have 115,000 miles on my WRX. It's been in the shop once in the last 4 years. That was a head gasket and a timing belt and water pump for less than $800.

The BRZ/FR-S has a strong potential for long term reliability judging by the past products of its manufacturers.
Subaru engine knock. Big end bearing failure. - YouTube

"Subaru never confirmed the reason for the failure but upon researching this model I found recalls in other countries for this year forester regarding bearing failure. Subaru supposedly removed something from the structure of the bearing to reduce costs which in turn reduced strength."

Last edited by ekam; 08-17-2012 at 08:38 AM.