Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Mobile Porsche Surgeon
 
kashmir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Plano Texas
Posts: 239
DYI Shift cable ends.

Made this up today. They work better than the original.

__________________
Mike's Specialty Porsche Service
Mobile Mechanic Specializing in Porsche and Select Automobiles

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 1,605
You might want to check but I think the plastic ends are designed to break purposely in order to protect more expensive components or prevent the top from racking or bending.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Mobile Porsche Surgeon
 
kashmir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Plano Texas
Posts: 239
The cable is held in with a set screw, it will pull away with that kind of force. The end is held with a heavy metal clip attached to the transmission. A new Porsche shift cable is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
__________________
Mike's Specialty Porsche Service
Mobile Mechanic Specializing in Porsche and Select Automobiles

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Ex Esso kid
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
The cable is held in with a set screw, it will pull away with that kind of force. The end is held with a heavy metal clip attached to the transmission. A new Porsche shift cable is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
What you did is killer, I think I'm mixing it up with the top cables anyhow, you know stuff I don't have anymore.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 5,925
Garage
Nice work!
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Mobile Porsche Surgeon
 
kashmir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Plano Texas
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Nice work!
"Engineering is simply the slow younger brother of physics."

My first wife was an Engineer Physicist, she was not slow more like psycho
__________________
Mike's Specialty Porsche Service
Mobile Mechanic Specializing in Porsche and Select Automobiles

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Mobile Porsche Surgeon
 
kashmir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Plano Texas
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Nice work!
Thank you
__________________
Mike's Specialty Porsche Service
Mobile Mechanic Specializing in Porsche and Select Automobiles

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 5,925
Garage
Always fun and rewarding to engineer something yourself!
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,236
My shift cables are held on with zip ties... And it's been that way for years.
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
Homeboy981
 
Homeboy981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 663
Garage
Nice Solution!

Perhaps you could use something similar to the Short Shifter Linkage. It is an aluminum block that replaces the plastic part on the OTHER END of the shift cable (near the shift lever in the cockpit). It was one of the most common points of failure for racers so it was done when I put in the Short Shift Kit in there. Here is a pic:

http://www.****************************************.com/UserData/Images/Large/208315.jpg

The aluminum "block" with a plastic cup piece is held in place by 3 allen bolts that tighten around the cable so it cannot slip. It can adjust the cable length too somewhat. Also, being one piece, it should be stronger too. They are available for $44. May not work on this application though...Just a thought.
__________________
2002 Porsche Boxtser S - Silver & Chrome - Died from IMS failure AFTER IMS was replaced!
Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #11
Registered User
 
boxster6354's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kingwood, TX
Posts: 445
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Nice Solution!

Perhaps you could use something similar to the Short Shifter Linkage. It is an aluminum block that replaces the plastic part on the OTHER END of the shift cable (near the shift lever in the cockpit). It was one of the most common points of failure for racers so it was done when I put in the Short Shift Kit in there. Here is a pic:

http://www.****************************************.com/UserData/Images/Large/208315.jpg

The aluminum "block" with a plastic cup piece is held in place by 3 allen bolts that tighten around the cable so it cannot slip. It can adjust the cable length too somewhat. Also, being one piece, it should be stronger too. They are available for $44. May not work on this application though...Just a thought.
Homeboy -

I am thinking of the shift linkage also, compared to the AP one below which would be best in your (or others) opinion?
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
Homeboy -

I am thinking of the shift linkage also, compared to the AP one below which would be best in your (or others) opinion?
Where would somebody buy this?
__________________
"You finally got that Nazi-go-cart you always wanted." -Peer

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
Registered User
 
boxster6354's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kingwood, TX
Posts: 445
Garage
Here you go, but also at Amazon, eBay and others:
Agency Power
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page