Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
still plays with cars...

Garage
First road trip observations....

I drove to Blakeslee, PA from Waterloo, Ontario this past weekend for my first ever Nascar race at Pocono.
What an amazing long-distance vehicle! Extremely comfortable seats, only exited the car to fill the tank, eat or use the restroom on the drive down.
We left at 4:30 am, roof down, and my GPS took us on mostly 2-lane roads.
Roof was down for the entire trip home as well. Used copious sunscreen. No scalp burn, but the insides of my biceps got burned. Ouch and oops. Now I know to sunscreen there too.
Apparently Boxsters are also pretty good at mud bogging. I found out the hard way at the track. Two huge downpours made the meadow grass parking lot into a rutted, slick, slippery field of grass-covered goo. At least all the rain washed it clean on the run back to the hotel.
The entire experience was great, and I'll do it again, except next time I'd hope my hood crest doesn't get stolen. It went missing somewhere on the drive home on Monday.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation

Last edited by BoxsterSteve; 08-08-2012 at 03:15 PM.
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #2

car's just getting warmed up on that drive! seriously, glad you had fun. next stop - tail of the dragon.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
car's just getting warmed up on that drive! seriously, glad you had fun. next stop - tail of the dragon.
That and the Blue Ridge Parkway...
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #4

I've done two road trips with mine. 800 miles to Flagstaff one way for last years Escape. Almost 3000 miles that week.

Second was SLC Parade. ABout 800 miles each way but total driving for the week was close to 2500.

Seats are great for the driver. Passenger too as long as they don't try to recline back and fall asleep. My wife complained a lot that it would not recline far enough.

Either way road trips was great.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #5

Appears you were able to avoid the lightning strike.

820 miles yesterday. 830 miles tomorrow.

2,400 miles a couple weekends ago...

Not to mention the around town mileage over the past 30 days.

I'll be ready for an oil change when I get home. Sheesh! I just changed the oil a month ago!
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #6

After a month of ownership I did my first road trip. A quick 300mile round trip from Ft. Worth to east Teaxs. I behaved on way out there, not so much coming back. Coming across a bridge to get on I20 I spot a yellow T-Rex flying down the hwy with a white Panamera 4S in hot persiut. I managed to catch the Panamera, but the T-Rex left us in the dust.
This car feels more planted and stable over 70 than under, I guess the aerodynamics start to work. What a great car! Love it! Truely a drivers car.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #7

You must have enjoyed your road trip. It's fun.
raizaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #8

Garage
let me know when you come down to do the tail of the dragon and the blue ridge parkway. That's my back yard.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #9

we need to have (another) TotD forum meet up
Old 08-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
Seats are great for the driver. Passenger too as long as they don't try to recline back and fall asleep.
Drive faster, they won't want to sleep.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubinski View Post
Drive faster, they won't want to sleep.
if they do fall asleep, utilize the great brakes and they'll wake up...
Old 08-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #12

Your hood crest probably just blew off - they do that. It happened to me on a country drive one day. I actually saw it go flying off into the weeds, except I didn't realize it was the crest I saw until I got home and saw it missing. A real wtf moment!

Last edited by Mark_T; 08-09-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #13
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Your hood crest probably just blew off - they do that. It happened to me on a country drive one day. I actually saw it go flying off into the weeds, except I didn't realize it was the crest I saw until I got home and saw it missing. A real wtf moment!
I'm thinking this. If someone had managed to pry your crest off they would have very likely caused damage to your front trunk lid as well. The crest is held in with a couple of small screws that go through the lid, so unless they're already loose or someone gets into your front trunk to get at the screws, it's not coming off easy. The plastic emblem most likely just came unbonded from the assembly. They're not the cheapest thing to replace, but they're not incredibly expensive, and you can definitely swap the new one in yourself in just a few minutes.

Glad you had a good, safe trip there and back.

As for a TotD meet, that sounds awesome.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #14

Garage
Maybe I did something wrong, or maybe I'm just too fa... big boned. 75" 280 lbs. I drove straight through to Dallas from Chicago and I was in pain. Serious pain. I would love to make that trip again, as I prefer driving to flying, but without some stretch out room, I do not know if I can make that trip again.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
Maybe I did something wrong, or maybe I'm just too fa... big boned. 75" 280 lbs. I drove straight through to Dallas from Chicago and I was in pain. Serious pain. I would love to make that trip again, as I prefer driving to flying, but without some stretch out room, I do not know if I can make that trip again.
you did it right...

5'11, 235 and i get sore after a few hours. a quick stop and walk for 5 minutes and i'm good again. the seats are kind of thin for my liking (i can feel the ecu under me...).

the worst trip was getting stuck in traffic and driving for 14 hours. some soreness afterwards.

fyi, i drive from DC to Dallas 2 to 3 times a year for the past 5 years (past 3 in the boxster) but i generally take 3 days.