986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   First road trip observations.... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36716-first-road-trip-observations.html)

BoxsterSteve 08-08-2012 02:50 PM

First road trip observations....

I drove to Blakeslee, PA from Waterloo, Ontario this past weekend for my first ever Nascar race at Pocono.
What an amazing long-distance vehicle! Extremely comfortable seats, only exited the car to fill the tank, eat or use the restroom on the drive down.
We left at 4:30 am, roof down, and my GPS took us on mostly 2-lane roads.
Roof was down for the entire trip home as well. Used copious sunscreen. No scalp burn, but the insides of my biceps got burned. Ouch and oops. Now I know to sunscreen there too.
Apparently Boxsters are also pretty good at mud bogging. I found out the hard way at the track. Two huge downpours made the meadow grass parking lot into a rutted, slick, slippery field of grass-covered goo. At least all the rain washed it clean on the run back to the hotel.
The entire experience was great, and I'll do it again, except next time I'd hope my hood crest doesn't get stolen. It went missing somewhere on the drive home on Monday.

tonycarreon 08-08-2012 03:34 PM

car's just getting warmed up on that drive! seriously, glad you had fun. next stop - tail of the dragon.

BoxsterSteve 08-08-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonycarreon (Post 300855)
car's just getting warmed up on that drive! seriously, glad you had fun. next stop - tail of the dragon.

That and the Blue Ridge Parkway... :D

cas951 08-08-2012 05:54 PM

I've done two road trips with mine. 800 miles to Flagstaff one way for last years Escape. Almost 3000 miles that week.

Second was SLC Parade. ABout 800 miles each way but total driving for the week was close to 2500.

Seats are great for the driver. Passenger too as long as they don't try to recline back and fall asleep. My wife complained a lot that it would not recline far enough.

Either way road trips was great.

bar10dah 08-08-2012 06:57 PM

Appears you were able to avoid the lightning strike.

820 miles yesterday. 830 miles tomorrow.

2,400 miles a couple weekends ago...

Not to mention the around town mileage over the past 30 days.

I'll be ready for an oil change when I get home. Sheesh! I just changed the oil a month ago!

Raider 08-08-2012 07:25 PM

After a month of ownership I did my first road trip. A quick 300mile round trip from Ft. Worth to east Teaxs. I behaved on way out there, not so much coming back. Coming across a bridge to get on I20 I spot a yellow T-Rex flying down the hwy with a white Panamera 4S in hot persiut. I managed to catch the Panamera, but the T-Rex left us in the dust.
This car feels more planted and stable over 70 than under, I guess the aerodynamics start to work. What a great car! Love it! Truely a drivers car.

raizaB 08-09-2012 01:32 AM

You must have enjoyed your road trip. It's fun. :)

mountainman 08-09-2012 03:22 AM

let me know when you come down to do the tail of the dragon and the blue ridge parkway. That's my back yard.

tonycarreon 08-09-2012 04:06 AM

we need to have (another) TotD forum meet up

grubinski 08-09-2012 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas951 (Post 300877)
Seats are great for the driver. Passenger too as long as they don't try to recline back and fall asleep.

Drive faster, they won't want to sleep. :)

tonycarreon 08-09-2012 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grubinski (Post 300919)
Drive faster, they won't want to sleep. :)

if they do fall asleep, utilize the great brakes and they'll wake up...

Mark_T 08-09-2012 05:05 AM

Your hood crest probably just blew off - they do that. It happened to me on a country drive one day. I actually saw it go flying off into the weeds, except I didn't realize it was the crest I saw until I got home and saw it missing. A real wtf moment!

Overdrive 08-09-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 300924)
Your hood crest probably just blew off - they do that. It happened to me on a country drive one day. I actually saw it go flying off into the weeds, except I didn't realize it was the crest I saw until I got home and saw it missing. A real wtf moment!

I'm thinking this. If someone had managed to pry your crest off they would have very likely caused damage to your front trunk lid as well. The crest is held in with a couple of small screws that go through the lid, so unless they're already loose or someone gets into your front trunk to get at the screws, it's not coming off easy. The plastic emblem most likely just came unbonded from the assembly. They're not the cheapest thing to replace, but they're not incredibly expensive, and you can definitely swap the new one in yourself in just a few minutes.

Glad you had a good, safe trip there and back. :cheers:

As for a TotD meet, that sounds awesome.

CoBeerToad 08-09-2012 09:26 AM

Maybe I did something wrong, or maybe I'm just too fa... big boned. 75" 280 lbs. I drove straight through to Dallas from Chicago and I was in pain. Serious pain. I would love to make that trip again, as I prefer driving to flying, but without some stretch out room, I do not know if I can make that trip again.

tonycarreon 08-09-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoBeerToad (Post 300965)
Maybe I did something wrong, or maybe I'm just too fa... big boned. 75" 280 lbs. I drove straight through to Dallas from Chicago and I was in pain. Serious pain. I would love to make that trip again, as I prefer driving to flying, but without some stretch out room, I do not know if I can make that trip again.

you did it right...

5'11, 235 and i get sore after a few hours. a quick stop and walk for 5 minutes and i'm good again. the seats are kind of thin for my liking (i can feel the ecu under me...).

the worst trip was getting stuck in traffic and driving for 14 hours. some soreness afterwards.

fyi, i drive from DC to Dallas 2 to 3 times a year for the past 5 years (past 3 in the boxster) but i generally take 3 days.