Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

Garage
Started my IMS Upgrade 2000 S wit 107,000 miles.

So I have started my IMS, RMS, Clutch project. Everything is going well so far new LN bearing and tools ordered. Tranny came out easy enough about 3 hours with the car 16" off the floor and bumper on. I will be cleaning up my parts while I wait for my packages to arrive. I needed to make sure I ordered the correct bearing. Double row with a 4/00 build date on the car. Looks good with 107,000 miles. no leaks from anything and the tranny still had the right leave for oil.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Since you are in there you might want to consider two more things, your RMS (Rear Main Seal) which is just above your IMS and the Coolant Reservoir. To take the two hoses off from the engine side is best done with the tranny out...and at this mileage, new transmission mounts, a front engine mount and maybe your CV joints.

Just throwing out some areas that are useful based on where you are now.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #3

Actually, before I'd go coolant reservoir, I'd do the AOS which is now fully out in the open......

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-24-2012 at 05:14 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Good work Dag - I did all this last Dec. Since I had the funds I replaced the RMS and the AOS also. I did however have to take my bumper off, I don't have a full set of tools and was struggling with the back of the transmission, with the bumper off it was easy.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #5

Definitely do the AOS while you're in there. Never an easier time than now. Also check the oil fill tube for leaks. Prone to happen and also much easier to get to now. Nice work.

Steve
BerneseMtnDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #6

Garage
Thank guys AOS was done at 96K. I just purchased the car at 100K and have local dealer records for the past 5 years. I'm doing RMS again even though it is the updated seal with square markings it was not listed in my records for the date it was changed. Cheap enough to just keep fresh.

I'm wondering about the coolant reservoir I saw that it's much easier with the Tanny out.

Also was considering the front engine mount but figured its a separate project since it's not disturbed with this removal maybe when by bypass pipes come in. They are back-ordered until September.

Car runs so smooth with no issues it was bugging the crap out of me to take it apart but I would be thinking about the IMS the whole time I'm driving it so I figures I had to do it so I'm good for a number of years.

Can't wait for parts to start to show up UPS is telling me Monday the 30th
Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #7

Garage
When you're finished with yours, you can do nine .
Old 07-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
I don't have a full set of tools and was struggling with the back of the transmission
That's the universe telling you that you need to buy more tools.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Quote:
Good work Dag - I did all this last Dec. Since I had the funds I replaced the RMS and the AOS also. I did however have to take my bumper off, I don't have a full set of tools and was struggling with the back of the transmission, with the bumper off it was easy.
Another voice from the ether...buy more tools and the car gods will reward you!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Got some more for my birthday yesterday! It is amazing though how much can be done on these cars with just the basic tools. I had my car 24 inches off the ground and being Dec having the bumper off did allow some extra natural light in .

Yes I had a leak in my oil fill tube and this was the best time to do that too +1.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
When you're finished with yours, you can do nine .
Dag - Johnny has been beggin for someone to help with his forever. I think all of us that have done this should spend a Sat at Johnny's Berkshires hideaway and get his done. Afterwords I'm sure he'll share some of those fine women he always has waiting around.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 AM   #12

Garage
Sounds very tempting we will see how the rest of this goes. So far it's been pleasant to tinker with. But I do buy these toys with the expectation that I'll be getting intimate and knowing my vehicles inside and out. I figured with my cars, motorcycles and boats I'd have every tool there is and I'm surprised at some of the odd things done on these pcars to require more special/homemade or thought provoking tools. Such as a single triple square on the bell housing what the heck was the logic there keep the owner out or am I missing something and should be concerned about theft that someone would crawl under there at night and steal my gearbox if it didn’t have one odd bolt. Lol Special tool to pull the t-stat from the housing I’ve never seen one come flying out and get sucked through the engine without being custom attached to the housing . No worries I’ve always dreamed of owning a pcar and I’m loving every minute of it. I’ve had my whole garage pcar themed with my BMW’s parked in there for 20 years I figured it was time and it puts a big smile on my face every time I have her out in the short few months of ownership. The seven thousand miles I racked on is more then I put on my Z3 in the past 3 years combined.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:04 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Dag - Johnny has been beggin for someone to help with his forever. I think all of us that have done this should spend a Sat at Johnny's Berkshires hideaway and get his done. Afterwords I'm sure he'll share some of those fine women he always has waiting around.
I'll supply the entertainment !
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #14

Garage
Dag I had two Z3s and a Z4 before getting my Boxster. They were great cars but I've never looked back!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #15

Garage
Since other people seem to be having issues location TDC I figured I would post a simple picture. NOTE THIS IS NOT TDC CYLINDER 1 and just off lobe on 1 and 4 to assist with IMS project. ONLY ROTATE THE ENGINE WITH CAM TENTIONERS FULLY INSTALLED!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #16

Garage
Gearbox bolt layout to keep them in order.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #17

Garage
Woo Hoo some of my parts are finally here. I can start to get this project moving.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #18

Garage
Old bearing is out and boy was it tight. I was about to give up and was resting my arms when I heard the pop of the locking clip. After that smooth sailing out with many turns before the bearing was removed. I was ready for the oil bath but to my surprise nothing came out of my IMS tube. What you see in the pictures is all that was there nothing to even make it out of the tube just a few ounces sitting on the edges. No way to know this without pulling the bearing and with my mileage I couldn't drive the car and be happy with out doing this work and seeing what I had. Now I will have the comfort to drive the car and not wonder if today is the day for a flat bed.

Fretting on the outer bearing race will lead to failure and shows uneven load on the inside row of bearings. The fretting is fairly even around the bearing so there is no out of round condition.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #19

Whats the condition of the bearing? Have you opened it to take a look?

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #20
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
I love this thread as I am just at the point now in my build where I will be pulling the bearing as well. Glad to hear things are going as well as they are. Good stuff so keep this coming...oh nice collection of bottles! I recognize a few as some good beers!