Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #1

I Did It..............but it was touch and go

trying to get access to all 6 spark plugs. The car: a 2007 Boxster S with 59,000 miles. The mechanic: me, and not a very good one at that.

I read all the 'How To's" on these forums on how to change spark plugs and the directions seemed simple, enough. But, possibly due to my lack of talent, I recommend the following to those 'How To's' instructions and others with limited mechanical experience like me.

1. Besides the removing of the rear tires and fender well linings, I ALSO recommend to you to remove the first underbody panel closest to the engine. This will help you get to the 2 front spark plugs from underneath the car (the spark plugs aren't really the problem, its the two screws holding the coil pack in place that are difficult to access).

2. The 'How To's" state that you can remove the coil pack without having to disconnect the connector from the coil pack. I don't recommend this (it is a bear to get the coil pack out and then back in without having removed the connector - and you stand a good chance of breaking the coil pack tube or ripping out the connector - in my case, I broke off a small plastic piece on the connector portion of one of the coil packs). The best way to remove the coil pack is to move up the rubber sleeve on the connector (use a small screwdriver), unclip the connector from the coil pack (use a small screwdriver and pull), and then remove the coil pack.

3. I recommend that you use a magnetic spark plug socket that has a wobble extension BUILD IN- I am not endorsing any company, but I bought a KD Tools 3-pc from Amazon, although Gearwrench and others make something similar. I used both the 6" and the 11" sockets. I tried using a socket with a flex extension, but after I had unscrewed the spark plug and tried to pull it out, the extension came loose from the socket. The socket stayed in the hole. This was in one of the difficult to get to front plugs and it took me 10 minutes to finally get it out. Using a one-piece socket with build in extension will prevent that from happening.

The car seems to be running fine, I have numerous cuts and scrapes on my arms, and am a much wiser man when I do this again in 60K miles, and the pain will be forgotten by then.

Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #2

Congrats on your DIY! Sure saves wear and tear on your wallet a bit when you can do your own maintenance.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Current Cars

if you have access to a lift must you still remove the wheel linings ? or can you gain access from underneath ?
'06 Civic (Wifes car)
'96 Jetta (Daily Driver)
Neekk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Using jackstands in my driveway, I did not remove any of the wheel liners and still had decent acess to the plugs from underneath.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #5

Everything is so tight in there, I would recommend removing the rear tires and liner. There are only 3 nuts and two screws to take off. That will give you more visibility and room to pull the coils out (they are about 6-7 inches long). But, then again, I have never worked on something as scary as a Porsche before (scary, because the parts are so expensive if I break something). Either way, there are alot of experts here that know all the tricks and can fix things by feel. I am just not in their league, yet.

Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote