Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #1

Garage
tires

anyone out there running hankook tires? A driving buddy and I have both been running them for about 3 years on C4, turbo, boxsters, 968 and really like them. Got disgusted with michelin prices and the low milage they delivered and switched to the hankook V12 are totally happy with them. They hold just as good, wet or dry, cost half as much as michelin, last longer and my tire guy says they are rounder and require less balancing.
just wondering about anyone else's take on the,. We drive mountain roads HARD. like tail of the dragon every day.

Last edited by mountainman; 07-05-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: punctuation
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #2

The Hankook Ventus RS-3s are a great performance tire for the money & one of the top choices for AX street tire classes.
They aren't great in the wet, though.

Other good performance buys are:
Dunlop Direzza D1 Star Specs (better in the wet, but more temperature sensitive than the RS-3s)
Kuhmo Ecsta XS
Old 07-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #3

When I bought my car 2 years ago, they had used Yokohama S. Drives already installed. They still look like they are in great condition and provide excellent traction. I even tracked my car, did a few donuts, and messed up my camber by lowering my car. The tires are still good.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #4

Garage
tires

I have not tried the RS 3's. I have heard good things about their holding ability, but was told they don't last very long. Would like to try them autocrossing the boxster.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
anyone out there running hankook tires? A driving buddy and I have both been running them for about 3 years on C4, turbo, boxsters, 968 and really like them. Got disgusted with michelin prices and the low milage they delivered and switched to the hankook V12 are totally happy with them. They hold just as good, wet or dry, cost half as much as michelin, last longer and my tire guy says they are rounder and require less balancing.
just wondering about anyone else's take on the,. We drive mountain roads HARD. like tail of the dragon every day.
These are all believable subjective opinions except for the bold statement made by the guy that SELLS you tires & makes a bigger profit selling the Hangooks instead of Michelin or any other name brand probably. Be wary of comparing old tires you want to replace to new recently balanced tires.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
I concur on the Hankooks. The V12 is a very good wet/dry replacement for PS2s at 1/2 price. The RS-3 is simply amazing as a dry road or track day play tire. Large tread blocks mean early hydroplane in the rain with RS-3s.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

I really love the RS-3's. That is what I use for my street tires and the occasional track day when I'm too lazy to change to my track wheels (Nitto NT-01). The Hankook Ecsta XS's are also very good.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #8

hankook tires are really hard to beat for the price, I had the V4's on my Box S and could not have been happier
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #9

Hankook V12 are awesome for the money, look for the Car and Driver comparo about the tires vs high end brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
anyone out there running hankook tires? A driving buddy and I have both been running them for about 3 years on C4, turbo, boxsters, 968 and really like them. Got disgusted with michelin prices and the low milage they delivered and switched to the hankook V12 are totally happy with BMW. They hold just as good, Goodyear wet or dry, cost half as much as michelin, last longer and my tire guy says they are rounder and require less balancing.
trev0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #10

Put 5K on a set of V12s, highly recommend them.
Uller God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #11

Are the v12s N rated? How much mileage you getting? If you are only getting 5k miles at half the prices that might be the same as an expected 10k mileage on PS2s ? That said when I do my next 4 tires (will likely be a while away I just did all 4) I am going to think about something different.
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #12

Might not have phrased that very well, I have 5K on my V12s now and they still look like brand new.
Uller God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #13

I have almost 10k miles on my rear 275/30/19 hankook v12's and they are still in great shape and are still quiet just like the day I got them. I use to be a diehard Michelin fan and only got Michelin tires for all my cars because I knew for a fact the only thing between the road and the car were the tires and I wanted 'the best of the best' and didn't want to go 'cheap'.

After reading tons of good reviews and talking to quite a few v12 users, I was sold and haven't looked back since.

Although, if money were no issue, I would purchase Michelin again. I feel Michelin has superior technology in their tires.

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote