Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
The headlights are very generic and not Porsche-like at all. Thumbs down for me. Nice car, but the looks don't really do it for me...especially not for the price.

It looks like an Acura...blah.
Not Porsche-like?? Are you mad?

The Boxster front end is the closest thing to the Carrera GT the company has yet produced. IMHO.

Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #22
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I repeat, it looks like an Acura...period. Porsches have always had that distinctive round or oval headlight design that is easy to spot, even from far away. Not liking it.

It looks like someone stuck a Porsche emblem on an Acura NSX. If I wanted a Carrera GT like front end, I would buy a Carrera GT, lol! Yeah, not for me.
And yes, I am mad!

Last edited by particlewave; 12-23-2013 at 08:30 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:06 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
Clear side markers are illegal in the U.S for auto manufactures. Unless the law is changed, they will always be yellow. In Europe however, they use clear side markers, and you can fit them onto your car as a preference.
I don't know about the law you are talking about, but mine came from the dealer with clear side markers. It is one of the thinkgs the dealer in Dallas takes pride in.
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #24

IMO the headlights, like in the pic above, from 987II is the closest looking to carrera GT
The new headlights, other than being in dark housing, looks more like Infiniti G35 variants
But with that said, they are really growing on me
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #25
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinhunter View Post
I don't know about the law you are talking about, but mine came from the dealer with clear side markers. It is one of the thinkgs the dealer in Dallas takes pride in.
So did mine but they glow amber, bet yours do too.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squozen View Post
The Boxster front end is the closest thing to the Carrera GT the company has yet produced. IMHO.
That is my thought as well. I REALLY see the Carrera GT when I look at the front end of the new Boxster.
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
So did mine but they glow amber, bet yours do too.
That they do
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #28
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomarlins3 View Post
That is my thought as well. I REALLY see the Carrera GT when I look at the front end of the new Boxster.
This is something that I don't understand...why would you want a Boxster to look like a Carrera? They are two separate cars and should have their own identities. Jmo...but if you like the Carrera GT so much, look at or buy a Carrera. I like the original Boxster look much better.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #29
Ex Esso kid

I'm biased but I think this looks more CGT eske, however I also agree that the Boxster has carved out it's own enthusiastic Porsche place in the marques history.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #30

Quote:
This is something that I don't understand...why would you want a Boxster to look like a Carrera? They are two separate cars and should have their own identities. Jmo...but if you like the Carrera GT so much, look at or buy a Carrera. I like the original Boxster look much better.
You do know Carrera GT /= Carrera? Sounds like from your post you are confusing the two. Which would be easy, given the Carrera line is nothing remotely like the Carrera GT line, but does in fact offer a GT3 and GT2 (without the Carrera nomenclature).

Anyway, your incredulity as to why anyone would want their bottom-of-the-line $50k Porsche to look like the top-of-the-line $440,000 Porsche lead me to believe you were thinking people mean the 981's lights look like the Carrera, not the Carrera GT.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #31
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Not at all. I have zero interest in the Carrera, GT, GT2, 3, ABC, #@0, or any other possible variant. I think its a little insecure is all. Like sticking those Walmart chrome stick on vents on your Pinto's fenders, lol! Ok, that's a drastic comparison, but not much different than people wanting their Boxster to "look like a GT". Why? To deceive people into believing you're loaded? To fool yourself? Maybe you just like the way it looks?

Which brings me back to my original post about the 981; those headlights completely suck(!) and are not classic Porsche like at all. I don't care if they look like the Carrera GT's and you think that's cool. They look like lots of other modern hl's and frankly, the body has lost some of that distinctive shape as well. Pass!

Hi! I'm Tony! I own a 986 and love it!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #32

Can we all just get along?

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #33
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Pictures always help (unless Johnny Danger's involved)

Carrera GT (a 997/987 era car, all by its lonesome in exotic/supercar territory)

Boxster (981)

The resemblence can't be denied, Porsche themselves have pointed out that they intentionally designed the car's look with the spirit of the Carrera GT in mind.

Carrera (991 in this case)

We're talking apples, oranges, and peaches here. Hoepfully this helps with any possible confusion.

Personally, I don't like the idea that they designed this car to look very much like a Carrera GT, because I feel that in doing so they've made it look like a big MR2:

I will also admit, however, that much like the 987's changes, the longer it's around, the more it grows on me to the point of toleration.

Can't wait for Hoffman down the road from here to take delivery of some so I can take one for a test drive on a lunch break.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Carrera GT (a 997/987 era car, all by its lonesome in exotic/supercar territory)
Nope, it's a 9x6 era car, the steering wheel and instrument gauges are 9x6 design...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #35

I didn't like the 981 much when I first saw it, especially the fussy rear end. Then it grew on me a bit. Now I don't like it again. It just looks a bit generic now, has lost too much Boxsterness. Pre facelift 986 with ambers is still easily the prettiest Boxster to my eye (well, except for the concept).

Only other production Boxster I really like the look of is the 987 Spyder. They did a nice job on that.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #36
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I still don't like the headlights, lol!

Now, that blue Carrera 991 has some sexy peepers!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #37
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
I still don't like the headlights, lol!

Now, that blue Carrera 991 has some sexy peepers!
Can't say I didn't like them in person...but I did very much notice them. I'm starting to agree with you. I detail a 991 frequently and can say the headlights do seem more 'classic'. Remember what happen the last time a Boxster's headlights looked like a 911...it upset a lot of 911 owners.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Not at all. I have zero interest in the Carrera, GT, GT2, 3, ABC, #@0, or any other possible variant. I think its a little insecure is all. Like sticking those Walmart chrome stick on vents on your Pinto's fenders, lol! Ok, that's a drastic comparison, but not much different than people wanting their Boxster to "look like a GT". Why? To deceive people into believing you're loaded? To fool yourself? Maybe you just like the way it looks?

Which brings me back to my original post about the 981; those headlights completely suck(!) and are not classic Porsche like at all. I don't care if they look like the Carrera GT's and you think that's cool. They look like lots of other modern hl's and frankly, the body has lost some of that distinctive shape as well. Pass!

Hi! I'm Tony! I own a 986 and love it!
LOL! Insecure is installing a fake Carrera GT body kit and badges on your twelve thousand dollar 986. Buying the car Porsche chose to produce and leaving it stock... Well, if that's insecure I'm afraid we've all succumbed, your own sweet self included...

Oh, and in case you missed the late nineties, there's some historical precedent for boxsters looking like Carreras.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #39
Custom User Title Here

Garage
For the 1467th time...the headlights, man, the headlights! Lame! Your opinion is valued.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #40
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Particle - I'm sure both you and I can agree on one more thing...

P O R S C H E on the trunk above the word Boxster

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote