Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #1

Oil test sample

Hey all, I'm back to shopping Boxsters after about 5 years without one. I'm shopping mostly older cars(pre-'04) and wanting to stay in the 50-60k mi. range. If I come across something worthwhile, I want to take an oil sample and send it off for analysis before committing to a full PPI. Is it feasible on a Boxster? How long of tube do I need to get oil from the dipstick hole? I can't recall how long the dipstick was or if you can actually get a plastic tube down it.

sloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #2

I don't think you can get a sample from the dipstick hole - best plan is remove the oil filter and take a sample from there.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:57 AM   #3

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE A TUBE DOWN THE DIPSTICK TUBE! There are too many things it can get caught on, which will require removing the sump cover to clear. You might be amazed at how many times we have seen this exact thing go very wrong.........

If you want to take an oil sample, drop the filter.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #4

Snag the oil filter.....If it's been "just" changed, bail on that auto.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #5

Thanks guys, that's what I was afraid of. It was a good idea for a brief moment.
I don't think most sellers will let me drop the filter.
sloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #6

Garage
I now consider myself doubly lucky!

Just last week I drew oil up through the dipstick tube using a Mity-vac. I almost changed my mind when halfway down I felt an obstruction. So I trimmed the end of the collection tube to match the shape of the end of the dipstick...and with a twist, it went nicely past where it had hit something before.

The good news is that I got away with it. The other good news is that the oil analysis was all good.

I'm smart enough to heed the advice of the experienced, so I don't think I'll do this again!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #7

There are shops that do it as well. Seems like the oil pan is not that hard to get to. Don't know why they risk it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.oneufer View Post
I now consider myself doubly lucky!

Just last week I drew oil up through the dipstick tube using a Mity-vac. I almost changed my mind when halfway down I felt an obstruction. So I trimmed the end of the collection tube to match the shape of the end of the dipstick...and with a twist, it went nicely past where it had hit something before.

The good news is that I got away with it. The other good news is that the oil analysis was all good.

I'm smart enough to heed the advice of the experienced, so I don't think I'll do this again!
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
There are shops that do it as well. Seems like the engine oil pan is not that hard to get to. Don't know why they risk it.
True. And with such circumstances, I do go with shops to do it for me. I'm also afraid that I might mess up with it big time.

Last edited by kotto; 07-21-2012 at 09:27 PM.
kotto is offline   Reply With Quote