Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
boxsterz

parking brake cable slack on one side only

My p-brake use to go up about 5 clicks. All of a sudden it went totally slack, so I adjusted the shoes on both wheels. the p-brake holds ok now, but problem is the cable is fairly slack on the passenger side. The cable yoke-distributor thing in the center console is lop sided and only the driver's side is engaging with tension.

How do I work out the slack from the passenger side? (I can't get the shoes tighter without it actually binding the wheel)

Has this happended to anyone esle? Any ideas?

Old 05-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
boxsterz

Fixed!!

Turns out those dealer hacks left off a circlip/e-clip that holds a pin to the pivot, and the pin popped out of the clevis. I'm fairly certain the dealer did it because they are the only ones that touched the car from PO. It makes sense too because both wheel bearings were replaced a year ago too.

Looks like they never even put the circlip back on because it would have been trapped in the drum if it fell off. I checked and nowhere to be found...

Nothing like working on your own ride. You know it's done right
Old 06-09-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
boxsterz

Jeepers! The OTHER SIDE didn't have a circlip either!!! Has this happened to anyone else? Do they have a tendency to pop off? Luckily I cought it in time because a retainer spring worked it's way lose on the parking brake shoe and the p-brake went slack again.

If I can help it, I'm NEVER going to the dealership for any work. Hacks I tell you, hacks.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz View Post
Jeepers! The OTHER SIDE didn't have a circlip either!!! Has this happened to anyone else? Do they have a tendency to pop off? Luckily I cought it in time because a retainer spring worked it's way lose on the parking brake shoe and the p-brake went slack again.

If I can help it, I'm NEVER going to the dealership for any work. Hacks I tell you, hacks.
what's the latest update about this case mate? have you fixed it already? i don't think we have the exact same experience but when i was in this situation i have tried a lot of things which dint work out well but then after replacing the parking brake cable things got a little bit easier. seems my problem was just simple. lol. thanks to the site i used for the steps , im really not a mechanic nor a car geek so most of the time, i ask help from google.
knighttony13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz View Post

what's the latest update about this case mate? have you fixed it already? i don't think we have the exact same experience but when i was in this situation i have tried a lot of things which dint work out well but then after replacing the parking brake cable things got a little bit easier. seems my problem was just simple. lol. thanks to the site i used for the steps, im really not a mechanic nor a car geek so most of the time, i ask help from google. try replacing yours too. it might work. good luck bro.

Last edited by knighttony13; 08-22-2013 at 09:22 PM.
knighttony13 is offline   Reply With Quote