986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Oil test sample (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36108-oil-test-sample.html)

sloco 06-27-2012 08:27 PM

Oil test sample

Hey all, I'm back to shopping Boxsters after about 5 years without one. I'm shopping mostly older cars(pre-'04) and wanting to stay in the 50-60k mi. range. If I come across something worthwhile, I want to take an oil sample and send it off for analysis before committing to a full PPI. Is it feasible on a Boxster? How long of tube do I need to get oil from the dipstick hole? I can't recall how long the dipstick was or if you can actually get a plastic tube down it.

Steve Tinker 06-28-2012 01:26 AM

I don't think you can get a sample from the dipstick hole - best plan is remove the oil filter and take a sample from there.

JFP in PA 06-28-2012 02:57 AM

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE A TUBE DOWN THE DIPSTICK TUBE! There are too many things it can get caught on, which will require removing the sump cover to clear. You might be amazed at how many times we have seen this exact thing go very wrong.........

If you want to take an oil sample, drop the filter.

Beelzy 06-28-2012 08:44 AM

Snag the oil filter.....If it's been "just" changed, bail on that auto. ;)

sloco 06-29-2012 03:53 PM

Thanks guys, that's what I was afraid of. It was a good idea for a brief moment.
I don't think most sellers will let me drop the filter.

dan.oneufer 06-29-2012 05:12 PM

I now consider myself doubly lucky!

Just last week I drew oil up through the dipstick tube using a Mity-vac. I almost changed my mind when halfway down I felt an obstruction. So I trimmed the end of the collection tube to match the shape of the end of the dipstick...and with a twist, it went nicely past where it had hit something before.

The good news is that I got away with it. The other good news is that the oil analysis was all good.

I'm smart enough to heed the advice of the experienced, so I don't think I'll do this again!

shadrach74 06-30-2012 03:26 AM

There are shops that do it as well. Seems like the oil pan is not that hard to get to. Don't know why they risk it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan.oneufer (Post 295943)
I now consider myself doubly lucky!

Just last week I drew oil up through the dipstick tube using a Mity-vac. I almost changed my mind when halfway down I felt an obstruction. So I trimmed the end of the collection tube to match the shape of the end of the dipstick...and with a twist, it went nicely past where it had hit something before.

The good news is that I got away with it. The other good news is that the oil analysis was all good.

I'm smart enough to heed the advice of the experienced, so I don't think I'll do this again!

kotto 07-19-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadrach74 (Post 295967)
There are shops that do it as well. Seems like the engine oil pan is not that hard to get to. Don't know why they risk it.

True. And with such circumstances, I do go with shops to do it for me. I'm also afraid that I might mess up with it big time.