Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #1

Not turning over - MY2000 base... any ideas?

Saturday morning pulled into a questionable part of town to stop at the store when I came out turned the key and "nothing". The lights all came on but the starter wouldn't fire. I tried push-starting with no avail. Certain it was the ignition switch I just replaced it and still nothing. Tested and bypassed the clutch switch with no avail. No water in car to damage electronics under seat at anytime., ran fine prior... wondering if it is the immobilizer/alarm or something? At a loss here and hate taking my baby to a stealership to get raped if the "all knowing"group here can possibly provide some wisdom of things to check.

MY2000 83K miles base model in excellent condition always residing in San Diego so weathers not an issue here. No prior signs of anything, always maintained very well. When I turn the key to "start" I do here a slight clicking sounds as though it is trying triggering a switch someplace within the cabin but this does not dim the lights so I don't suspect a battery here, battery is providing 12.6volts without load... not sure when it was last changed though. I might try jumping it but I'm doubting that's it. when I opened the rear trunk to check the fuses there the first one is a 40A and it does seem to fit a bit loosely but is not broken. Checked E1 and C2 and those are fine. Any suggestions?

I've searched this site, Pedrosboard, rennlist with no help...

Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd just replace the battery. Easy and not too expensive.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #3

Swapped it out for the new one in my other car.., same results. I can hear a click somewhere within the dash when I turn the key to start position but it simply doesn't engage starter. Push starting it didn't help so perhaps something with the immobilizer maybe? Totally stumped here.

Not the ignition switch as I just installed a new one yesterday.
Not the clutch switch - both checked it with an ohms meter and also bypassed it
Not battery

Symptoms are the same - key turns fine, all dash lights work, stereo works (no longer turns itself off though when I remove the key), when I turn the key to start car it does not engage the starter at all. I've tried the valet key didn't help.

Again - I just hate the thought of having to get it towed to a stealership to get violated there. Anything I can do myself or last resort, bring it to a good indi, I'll do here. I've got no idea what is wrong or even where to go at this point...
Old 06-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #4

If its an immobilizer issue I think you may spot it by checking codes.
copsahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #5

Tried pulling codes with a Acutron reader but it shows no codes, guess I need a Durametric or Piwis then... ugh. I'm wondering if even a good indi place can remedy this without having the Porsche system to read it... we do have an excellent place here in San Diego but I'd definitely rather do all maintenance myself if/when possible. Anyone here in SD that may have a Durametric reader?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #6

I think your starter is going bad..If you can take it out have it checked at auto parts store. Check the relays too.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #7

That and the solenoid is my next check, I think the starter was replaced by the previous owner not long ago, perhaps they didn't tighten it properly. Hope it's that simple... will post early next week as to what I found regarding the starter but I doubt that is it due to the fact that we tried to push start it with no avail.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #8

Should be able to get it running with a push start even if the starter is shot. Makes me think its either the clutch switch (which you checked) or the security system/immobilizer.

copsahl is offline   Reply With Quote