Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #41
2005, Tiptronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
If I had to buy another one I would go for a newer one just so I could get a nicer interior. Sure its the same design but the latter models seem to be a lot nicer.
I'm probably the lone disinter on this, but I think the 986s have a nicer interior. I can't speak to the quality because I've never owned one, but I think they have a nicer look than mine.

Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #42

Garage
Finally heard back from the seller of the 1997 and he sold it, don't know how much though. I figured something was going on since I hadn't heard back. Oh well, I'll keep looking. I e-mailed three private sellers two days ago about cars listed on either CL or cars.com and not one has responded? All I asked was for more information and to contact me so that we could set up a time to see their car! You would think that if you have a car listed you would want to sell it! Frustrating.
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #43

Garage
Unfortunately, it's not just buyers that can be flakes...
Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #44

Garage
No kidding! I'm glad that there is no rush! I can at least afford to be picky.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #45

Garage
I changed the first paragraph of this thread today to reflect that since the 1997 Boxter that I was negotiating on is now sold, I am now looking for any clean Boxter of any vintage. I would like something under $15K with reasonable miles and well maintained. I am learning quite a bit as I look and read here! I really want one that has an exterior color of either Black or Blue and an interior color of either tan or grey. I sincerely appreciate everyone's opinions on the car I was trying to get, but now, back to the search.

I really like john99boxter's car except for the Tiptronic. I really would rather have the standard. Otherwise, his car would be perfect. I love his color combination. I need to get out and drive an S model(and even a Tiptronic) to see if that is what I need to concentrate on, but like I mentioned before, I was fine with the 2.5L. I'm in my 50's so I am not too worried about top end speed and the 2.5 really has enough kick for me. I would love to find a 2003 or newer to get the glass window, but they seem to be few and far between. That's the other thing that John's car has going for it is the GAHH top. I've been seeing lots of 2002's. Oh well, something will come along.

Last edited by BruceH; 06-22-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #46

Garage
Frustrating day today I had been interested in a 2005 S that was priced too good to be true and it was. The guy emails me today after sending me pictures and a carfax report to let me know that the car is now in Wyoming, and that he can have it to me in 5 days at no cost to me, that I would have 5 days to consider it and oh, by the way, he wants to do the transaction through a third party

Then, a 1999 pops up on CL, I go to check it out, it has hail damage, the convertible top motor is fried, and the wheels, had terrible road rash. Thes seats were cracked, etc. Moving on.

Next stop is a small dealer with a 2001, 60K miles 2.7L Boxter. It has foam all over the inside(been sitting in the hot Texas sun too much). I drove it for the heck of it, and it drove fine, but obviously not taken care of.

Next stop was an Infiniti dealer with an 2002 2.7L Boxter advertised. I get there and it is gone, so they want me try a 2007 Saturn Sky I figured what the heck again and wow, what a piece of junk! My wife goes to open the passenger door and the handle comes off! This thing had 18K miles and it was a dog! They wanted $19.9K! Why do people buy them???

Last stop of the day is a private seller with a 2001 911 for $19K and 60K miles. Interior is shot, drives great except for that rattling noise back by the engine He says it is an exhaust mount but who knows. Another Porsche in serious need of attention. Lots of interior problem in addition to the dead battery that has to be jumped.

Got to drive a BMW 550i convertible with 89K miles at some point, that was fun! Stumbled into a garage with more Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Maserati's and Carrera's than I have ever seen in one place! Didn't get to drive any of them though.

Oh well, the search goes on!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #47

did you mean a 650i convertible? I don't think BMW makes a 550i convertible. I own an 07 550i as my DD. Amazing car if you like a harsh ride in a luxury sedan.

Bruce, I'd like to recommend you contact the PCA rep for your area and ask him or her if they can help you locate a PCA member who is selling their boxster. PCA members usually take far better care of their cars than the guy who bought his boxster "because it was the next cool car i wanted to buy and abuse for X years and put no money into and then sell when I was tired of it."
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #48

Garage
You are correct Randall. It's a 2006 650ci. I went to their website and looked it up. I could have sworn I saw 550 on the rear but I guess I was seeing things. Thanks for the tip on checking with the local PCA rep. I need to do that. I'm also pretty flexible about traveling to see a car that is out of state. I work for an airline so getting there isn't an issue, but trying to get a PPI would be. thanks again for the advice.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #49

Garage
So I found my Boxster! WooHoo! Just got home last night from a leisurely drive from Atlanta to Dallas/FT Worth, Texas. My wife and flew out to Atlanta Monday morning, the dealer picked us up from the airport and a few hours later, I was a Boxster owner! It's a 2 owner(now 3) 2001 S model with the sport package in Lapis Blue. It had just over 64,000 miles and is immaculate! The 2nd owner was meticulous and has owned it for the last 7 years. This was his 10th Porsche and he traded it in for a 2005 Boxster. He just did the 60,000 mile service in April. I have most of the service records and even was able to talk to the shop that has been servicing it for the last 7 years! I have also been able to correspond with the previous owner via e-mail. The shop where he had it serviced put us in touch. I found the car on cars.com last Friday, called the dealer, asked my questions and then negotiated him down from $18K to a final sales price of $13,750! I am ecstatic! The car drives like it is on rails with zero issues. We went through some of the worst rain I have seen in years and the top had no leaks!

I want to thank everyone on this forum for great advice and information! Here's a couple of pictures:

Please excuse the bugs in the last shot. It was taken right before another heavy downpour so they are now gone! I have to wash it today though!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #50
Certified Boxster Addict

Congrat's! Beautiful car. I love the blue on grey.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #51

Garage
Talking

Nice nice nice -- congrats -- I love the Lapis Blue ...have fun
Old 07-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #52

Garage
Thanks! Since we are in Texas, I really didn't want the black interior. Grey should help a little!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #53

Now THAT's what I'm talking about, Bruce! We told you that you could find a nice, pampered S for a reasonable price!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #54

Garage
Thanks Randall! Yes, it took some digging but I feel very fortunate to have found this one. It exceeded my expectations when I first saw it in person. Can't get the grin off of my face!
Old 07-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #55

Garage
Nice! Glad to see that your perseverance paid off, and you wound up with one of the best color choices out there
Old 07-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #56

Garage
Thanks VC!