Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #1

Convertible Top Bent wheel well?

I am having problems with my convertible top on a 98 Boxter. It started with a popping noise when I would raise or lower the top. Eventually I noticed that the top was raising unevenly from one side of the top to the other. After a bit of checking I noticed the white ball cup end on the push rod for the top (driver side) had popped off the crank whee the rod connects to on the other end. I bought new push rods and tried to replace them, but the driver side push rod would not lay flat over the crank wheel. I decided to have a dealer take a look at it and they want $2200 to replace the transmission, drip tray, and a number of other things. That is not the worst of it. They said that the push rods had actually bent the wheel well, which would possibly explain the push rod not being able to lay flat on the crank wheel. They recommended replacing the wheel well which would involve cutting the old ones out by a body shop and installing a new one to the tune of $5500 (in addition to the $2200 to replace the top parts). I am thinking I should get a second opinion. Has anyone had this problem with the wheel wells getting bent by the top assembly? $8K to fix the top??????? Please help!

mekong56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #2

I hate to even say this but that quote sounds over the TOP. I would get a few more opinions. Good luck and keep us posted.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #3

Replace the wheel well? Complete BS. A good mechanic would pound it into place and fix the problem, if it actually exists...Dealers are stealers.

Find an Indy shop recommended by at least two local PCA members in our area.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah, thats a good case of a bad mechanic/shop. Trying to charge you thousands for a small issue? Second opinion needed.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #5

Update/Correction. It seems I was so shocked by the prices they were quoting me that I got it wrong, but it is still way high IMO. I was quoted $2200 for just the top transmission, hydraulic push rods, drip tray, and calibration of the assembly. The $5500 was the total (not in addition to the $2200) to add replacement of the wheel wells. I told them not to do anything. They still charged me $290 (2 hours of labor) to diagnose the problem. I won't be going back there.

The way he explained it to me when I picked the car up was that if the motor keeps going beyond the proper end points, because it is bolted to the wheel well it will torque the whole wheel well and bend it out of shape. He went on to say that in extreme cases he has seen it bend quarter panels. He advised that spending the initial $2200 would be a band-aid approach and the problem could come back because of the wheel well problem. $5500 is still outrageous to me.

Needless to say, I will be taking it to an independent shop for a second opinion.

mekong56 is offline   Reply With Quote