View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
mekong56

Convertible Top Bent wheel well?

I am having problems with my convertible top on a 98 Boxter. It started with a popping noise when I would raise or lower the top. Eventually I noticed that the top was raising unevenly from one side of the top to the other. After a bit of checking I noticed the white ball cup end on the push rod for the top (driver side) had popped off the crank whee the rod connects to on the other end. I bought new push rods and tried to replace them, but the driver side push rod would not lay flat over the crank wheel. I decided to have a dealer take a look at it and they want $2200 to replace the transmission, drip tray, and a number of other things. That is not the worst of it. They said that the push rods had actually bent the wheel well, which would possibly explain the push rod not being able to lay flat on the crank wheel. They recommended replacing the wheel well which would involve cutting the old ones out by a body shop and installing a new one to the tune of $5500 (in addition to the $2200 to replace the top parts). I am thinking I should get a second opinion. Has anyone had this problem with the wheel wells getting bent by the top assembly? $8K to fix the top??????? Please help!
mekong56 is offline   Reply With Quote