Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
M31

Garage
PCM-1 Updates

My 2002 Boxster S has a 2001.1 Navtech disc in the PCM that's for California/Nevada. I checked with my local Porsche dealer and no updates are available for the older PCM's like mine but after some searching online I found that Vauxhall/Opel CD map updates will work as long as the drive in the PCM is 16 bit. Mine is and I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows if these Opel discs are available for U.S./Canada in NCDR format? If so I would love to get my hands on these before my trip out west this summer into the Canadian Rockies and then down into California wine country!

M31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Forum Sponsor

Garage
Wow, when you sent me the link to this question, I thought I would be able to answer it. This is the toughest one all week. I don't think I have a good answer, except to say that I use the TomTom GPS maps on my iPhone, and that works way better than almost any car-installed GPS I've had.

You also might be able to find out if they have a 2008 or 2007 update that would be better than what you have in there now? It wouldn't be 100T% up-to-date, but if what you have in there now is 2001, then it would probably be better.

-Wayne
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper

Now Available:
• 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Wayne 962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Not sure about the specific Porsche system, but there are a lot of nav updates floating around the various bittorrent sites.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
M31

Garage
Thanks for the info...since the date of my trip is fast approaching I decided to put this search for update discs on the back burner until the fall. Bought a Garmin Nuvi 50LM with free map updates on sale and will use that for my trip instead. The unit is a perfect fit for the area just under the PCM screen where the unused disc drive nav. is...don't like the window mount that came with the Garmin so I'm just trying to figure out a way to attach the back of the 5" screen directly to the console.

M31 is offline   Reply With Quote