Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #1

Odometer reset

I reset the trip odometer on my '99 boxer and the mileage odometer now shows 599999 instead of the 31,000 miles that it did read. If I hold the other adjustment knob and change it to metrics, it reads 999999. I have tried several things but cannot get the mileage odometer to return to normal. The trip odometer went to 0 and moves as the car travels down the road, while the mileage odometer stays the same.

Any clue what I did, or how I can get back to normal, I do not find a fix in the manual.

McDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #2

Let me restate the problem: I reset the trip odometer to "0", and for some reason the mileage odometer now shows 599999 miles / 999999 kilometers depending on which mode I set it in. The 99 Boxter actually has 31,000 miles, but I cannot figure out why it did not return to that mileage? The battery was not disconnected. Only the two adjustment knobs on the dash where used. Has anyone experienced this? How did you get it back to normal? Was it a fuse? computer glitch?

I welcome any suggestions.
McDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #3

Garage
I found a few threads online with suggestions. Google for porsche 599999 miles and you'll get a few hits. This is the main one I saw with a possible confirmed solution. This thread also offers the same solution.

Good luck!
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #4

Garage
Did you have any luck?
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
Let me restate the problem: I reset the trip odometer to "0", and for some reason the mileage odometer now shows 599999 miles / 999999 kilometers depending on which mode I set it in. The 99 Boxter actually has 31,000 miles, but I cannot figure out why it did not return to that mileage? The battery was not disconnected. Only the two adjustment knobs on the dash where used. Has anyone experienced this? How did you get it back to normal? Was it a fuse? computer glitch?

I welcome any suggestions.
If you cant get it back with the method in the link above, I can help you with reprogramming the eprom in the cluster. Drop me a PM.

gavinyuill is offline   Reply With Quote