Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #1

Lexani, Nexen, Nankang Tires - Any good?

Hello all-

I searched online for reviews but couldn't find much regarding these tires. They are very inexpensive and I'm looking to replace tires on 18" wheels I picked up. I don't track the car but do some aggressive driving every now and then. I'm looking for some decent tires that don't hit the pocket book so much. Have any of you had any experience with these brand tires?

Thanks for the replies!

3point2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #2

I have not used them personally but have looked into them before when I was shopping for tires. Be prepared as you may have opened a can of worms here with this post as many people are of the opinion that only the "N" rated porsche specified tires should be used. I am not of that persuasion and for the type of driving I do, lesser tires will often suffice. I currently have sumitomo HTRZ II's on my car as they were affordable and had very good tread wear rating compared to other tires. I have also ran falken tires before on the car and had no issues and was getting about 30-35k miles out of a set of rears. I suspect that several more "mainstream" brands are in fact produced by "lesser" companies and are really not much better than the more affordable tires. Tire companies have a tendency to come to market really cheap for a few years until they gain market share and find acceptance with the public. FWIW kumho used to be the new guy on the block (like nexen, nankang, etc.) and were decent tires at affordable prices until they were more widely accepted at which point the cost of their tires gradually began to rise to that of a mid-level tire. It it was me, I would give them a try before I bought some michelin's, goodyear, etc.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
I ran Nexen A/S tires on my Lexus over about 20K miles. Very pleased with wet/dry grip, quiet, good road feel yet not too stiff sidewall. Great bang for the buck. I had trouble finding them in my size this time and mounted Yokohamas. Much stiffer sidewall and more noise... crisp handling.
CP672 by NEXEN TIRES - Starting from $67.00 Featuring Free Warranty and Free Freight - Tires from Performance Plus Tire
Old 06-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
02 box s

+2 on the nexen tires. i had a set on my saturn astra. they wore extremely well (30+k miles), were great in the wet and had a very funky tread pattern that lended itself well to the low profile tire look. performance wise they had very high slip angles and a fair amount of sidewall flex compared to yoko a008's and falken azenis that i had run on previous cars. as a daily driver tire i think they are a great bargain. obviously there are better choices for a strictly performance based tire. just my .02.

brad
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

At some point, you truly get what you pay for and there are better tires available for only a bit more money (Yokohama S.Drives and the like).

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote