Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #1

Date Dilemma

When I bought the 986 as my first car at 21 years old, my parents were upset I wasted my money on a sports car. They are more into practicality and boring cars like Toyota Corolla/Yaris or Honda Civic/Fit.

My father always complains about how small the car is and how he cannot fit comfortably in my car. He thinks I should buy a Kia Spectra or Hyundai Elantra. He also complains about how bad it is in rain and snow and how expensive it is to own.

My father has a jet ski and borrows SUV's from the dealership he works at to tow the trailer to the river or lake. We had it for 13 years and I have been riding for 11years.

I want to borrow the jet ski and SUV for my date with my girlfriend this weekend. I have borrowed SUV's plenty of times to go Jet skiing.

In return for letting me borrow the jet ski and SUV, my father wants to borrow my Boxster for his date on Sunday. He wants to drive it >1 hour away to an extremely busy little village town where there is lots of traffic and parking shortages and lots of scratches on bumpers from parking in extremely tight spaces. And he wants to take lots of oily stainy smelly food in a large pot wrapped with foil for a picnic. He has another older beat up car he could take on the date, but he wants to take the Porsche.

Should I risk it and let him borrow my car so I can borrow the jet ski? Or should I just try to find something else to do for my date?

P.S., he drove a 98 Boxster home from the dealership years ago and did a burnout right in front of me. I was 16 years old back then. That is when I first got to drive one and when I decided I am getting a Boxster as my first car no matter what.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #2

If you have to ask, you already have your answer.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
M31

Garage
I think the time has come to leave the nest before your wings get clipped any further...
M31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #4

Garage
Never mind jet skiing . You need to find a big Hungarian woman who just likes to hangout and be romantic . Problem solved !
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #5

Funny how, no matter what our age, we still seem to have parent issues. I took my Boxster to show my mom and dad when I first got it. My father's only reaction was "What did you buy that for?" and my mother was chirping something about "old men and sports cars". Out of everyone that has ever seen it, the only people to react with negativity and nasty remarks were my own parents. Nice, eh? Really took the shine off it for me.

To this day, I completely refuse to discus any aspect of the car with them and neither has had, or ever will have, a ride in it. It reminded me of the reason I left home when I was 18 - their similar reaction to a '65 Montcalm convertible that I had the audicity to buy without first obtaining their blessing.

I'd tell your dad to stuff his jetski and go get one of your own. He's got a lot of nerve to even ask to borrow it considering the history - both his reaction to your purchase and his willingness to abuse nice machinery.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #6

hahahaha
Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #7

Garage
Sounds like you're better off renting!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #8

Garage
Tough crowd -- I'll be "counter point".

So what; your dad said something dumb about not being comfortable; driving it will certainly change his mind. I'm sure you've said a few things in your life that pissed him off.

1) he's your dad; let him borrow it
2) you want to borrow an SUV & a jet ski from him; let him borrow your car

if he spills something it will clean up; it's family for jeebus' sake.

Either that, or stop borrowing his jet ski & SUV.

just my $0.02.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Funny how, no matter what our age, we still seem to have parent issues. I took my Boxster to show my mom and dad when I first got it. My father's only reaction was "What did you buy that for?" and my mother was chirping something about "old men and sports cars". Out of everyone that has ever seen it, the only people to react with negativity and nasty remarks were my own parents. Nice, eh? Really took the shine off it for me.

To this day, I completely refuse to discus any aspect of the car with them and neither has had, or ever will have, a ride in it. It reminded me of the reason I left home when I was 18 - their similar reaction to a '65 Montcalm convertible that I had the audicity to buy without first obtaining their blessing.

I'd tell your dad to stuff his jetski and go get one of your own. He's got a lot of nerve to even ask to borrow it considering the history - both his reaction to your purchase and his willingness to abuse nice machinery.

What am I in the twilight zone? I can't relate because my parents if they ever borrowed anything returned it in excellent condition. To say his dad is a dick for asking is a bit over the top, I'm sure junior caused some missed nights in the lazyboy with a beer during the first sixteen years. It's a car and the rig you want to use has a combined value that frankly surpasses it easily. Sounds like you should take your own ride and go swimming. My dad doesn't know who I am anymore but when he did he could have any damn stupid wiget I owned.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
recycledsixtie

Garage
You want a jetski - rent it. Your Dad wants to borrow your Boxster, forget it. He can rent one.Nobody touches my Box. Nobody drives my Box except me. Your Dad sounds a little irresponsible - burnouts etc.
Be responsible yourself and be more independant!
And good luck!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
Ex Esso kid

If I were either of your dads my goal would be to "zero out", I would try to spend it dry before I left.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #12

The burnout could just be a bad attempt to look cool in front of his 16 year old son. Same reason probably why he let you drive it at 16.

If you've been borrowing the SUV / jetski for a while, you owe it to at least give him a chance to borrow the car despite the assumption of abuse. Just talk to him before hand. If it comes back with signs of abuse, then cut him off. My 2c.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #13

Back in the early 90's i had a 944. An immediate family member kept nagging at me to allow him to drive it. I finally caved in and let him. He lost it around a corner and slammed it into a tree. The car was a total write off. He walked away and my insurance went up for the next five years. After that incident no one is allowed to drive my cars.
rdc8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc8118 View Post
Back in the early 90's i had a 944. An immediate family member kept nagging at me to allow him to drive it. I finally caved in and let him. He lost it around a corner and slammed it into a tree. The car was a total write off. He walked away and my insurance went up for the next five years. After that incident no one is allowed to drive my cars.
My girlfriend wants to drive it. She keeps nagging me about it. She drives stick, but not that well. I said to her, "do you want a diamond ring? Because I won't be able to buy a ring if I have to pay $2000 for a clutch."

She stopped asking after that.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
My girlfriend wants to drive it. She keeps nagging me about it. She drives stick, but not that well. I said to her, "do you want a diamond ring? Because I won't be able to buy a ring if I have to pay $2000 for a clutch."

How bout when she's sporting the ring, still think it's just yours? Best of luck with that negotiation, you're going to need it.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:

Haha, made me chuckle.

Only time a man refuses a woman from handling his stick!
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #17

Let him borrow the Box. It's just a car.

You seem to have no problem borrowing his ski as well as SUVs that do not even belong to him. Be an adult and act like one.
jrj3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:

On that same note, if you "F..." up the SUV it will need to be restored before it goes back to the dealership, are you able & willing to do that. Is your Dad willing & able to restore your Boxster to the condition he receives it in? If so & you are both men of your word then you have nothing to worry about.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
How bout when she's sporting the ring, still think it's just yours? Best of luck with that negotiation, you're going to need it.
Good Point, I will think of something.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #20

JD, sounds like Project M96 enjoys Jetskiing (and as the owner of one myself I tend to agree
as they are Moocho fun). That being said JD, that "Thing" in the photo suffocating that poor
dude couldn't fit on a jetski (at least to keep it afloat) and B. it would NEVER fit into a Boxster
so your logic is as they say my friend....flawed ?

Now as for the OP asking for input, I've put my King Solomon crown on here to
think this out....He's your Pops. You GOTTA let him borrow the Box. Just let him
know that any damage incurred will be taken care of BY Pops if any does happen
to occur. Lay something down for the "oily, stainy, smelly pot of food" so it does no
damage if spilling should occur. By letting him actually DRIVE it all those complaints
he had about it will disappear. If you care I mean.

It sounds like you've resolved the "letting my GF drive it" thing with the illustration
you made. But this is the far more tricky aspect of this IMO. Because if she DOES
continue to bring it up, then you have a far different problem on your hands. I
could recommend renting something that is stick and letting her drive that and
"learn" how to drive stick better, but can you even rent stick ? Also we all know
EVERY clutch in EVERY vehicle is different and takes a certain learning curve to
adjust to its nuances. This could end up being the thornier issue.

At the end of the day I guess I would take Johnny Danger's advice

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote