Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Tail light woes(me crying about stuff)

I am so utterly disappointed in the tail light setup. A few months back, I was told that my passenger brake light was out. Pulled out the assembly expecting to replace a bulb, but instead saw that one of the metal strips had popped out. No big deal...popped it back in and it felt very secure, so I forgot about it.

Got pulled over today because both brake lights and my drivers side parking light were out(was rainy, so had headlights on). Same deal, with both brake lights this time. But, the side marker(park light) is not as straight forward. All of the metal strips seem fine, but as soon as I put the unit back into the tl, it goes on and off at random. Tried tapping and wiggling, but can't get it to stay on or even go out with any consistency. Just randomly.

Anyway, I drove screws through the darn metal strips and into the plastic behind to secure them. Still stumped on the side marker, though.

Bad Porsche, bad!

Last edited by particlewave; 05-31-2012 at 06:50 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #2

Garage
Agree… Not a good design for tail lights. I had a bulb that looked good give me intermittent problems. Thinking that it was a poor connection in the socket I bent the tabs a little to tighten the contact to the bulb and then reinserted the bulb. The bulb lit and held steady so I put the assembly back in the car but after a couple of days it stopped illuminating again. I opened the trunk and took the assembly back out and the bulb started working! Only after tapping the bulb did I figure-out the filament inside the bulb was making intermittent contact. Bad bulb… Bad!

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I looked closely at the filament and didn't see any breaks, but my eyes aren't what they used to be. Will try a new bulb tomorrow.

Thanks!