Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #1

Broken oddments tray hinge

The hinge on my oddments tray cover broke, which I guess is not unusual. This happened at least a year ago, and I finally got around to ordering the replacement metal hinge, w/ pop rivets and U-brackets. The Technical Information instruction sheet that came with it indicates "911 (996)" but I assume that the part is usable on a 986. (Right?) It looks like it should be compatible.

The unfortunate part is that I started this quite awhile ago, then got sidetracked and didn't finish (ALWAYS a mistake). Now I've somewhat lost track of the original configuration.

Here's my situation right now:

The TI sheet describes removing a "rebound strap from the lower section of the cover by unscrewing both the fastening screws" and then removing the "strap retaining bracket". I don't know what this refers to. A pic from a RennTech DIY (which I'm pretty sure did NOT involve a Boxster):

Is the rebound strap they refer to that black nylon strap shown just behind the hinge? What's its function---to help stabilize the cover? Do Boxsters have this? I don't recall removing one, but clearly I don't have one on there at this point.

Another question has to do with removing the console itself to do this project. A couple posters on the RennTech thread said they didn't need to. My initial impression is that there really shouldn't be any need. Has anyone here done this without removing the console? If so, did they have any problems??

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

Where did you get this kit? Mine just broke the other day.

Here's what one from a 2000 Boxster looks like.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #3

The center console hinge kit is avaliable from the dealer or Pelican. The part number is 996.552.960.01 and it's about $30.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #4

I think it was Pelican, but it's been long enough I don't remember for sure.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #5

Well, I answered my own questions. NO, you don't have to remove the console---in fact, I have no idea why you would bother unless there was some other reason (short shift kit??). I didn't clamp the hinge in place to use as a drill template either. I just did what I always do in such situations: carefully placed it, took a pencil and traced in the holes, then pulled the hinge out and made a dimple in the center with a center punch to aid in drilling the holes. Worked fine.

Still don't' know what the "rebound strap" or "strap retaining bracket" are...don't care, long as it seems to work. So far, it does.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

I just received my hinge repair kit, and there were not any instructions.
I dug around on Renntech to find the instruction file. I've attached it here to make it easier for the next person.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Oddments_Tray_Cover.pdf (43.1 KB, 1457 views)
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #7

Garage
Thanks Tommy986, I'll need these... appreciate your search!
murphy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
still plays with cars...

Garage
A very easy project...

I replaced my broken hinge in under 45 minutes, including disassembly, cleanup and reassembling the interior.

I thought it way too much work to remove the entire console, so I removed my storage unit and the carpet on the rear bulkhead to put in the u-shaped inserts.

The hinge plate fits only one way and it already had 4mm holes, so I used it as the drilling template.

I already owned a rivet gun, so all I needed to buy was a 4mm drill bit from Lowe's.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #9

I need to do this repair myself. I saw the part on the Suncoast website. Thanks for the info.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

I got my hinge repair kit at Eagle Day: Boxster/996 Hinge Repair Kit

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote