Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

Cold Engine, Redlining it.

I know it is bad to drive the car hard when the engine is cold, but I just can't do that in this car. It begs to be driven hard. I often can't wait to drive somewhere because I want to drive my car and accelerate quickly. And I don't know about you guys, but it takes more than 5 minutes of normal driving before the temp needle even starts to move and another 2 minutes for it to get to normal operating temperature. I can't wait that long. My Mazda warms up to normal operating temp after 2 minutes of normal driving.

What do you guys do to restrain yourselves?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Shop the cost of a replacement engine, plenty of restraint right there.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
recycledsixtie

Garage
U just have to know what it costs to replace a blown motor because of your impatience. =$$$$$$
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #4

Anything I can possibly think of. Honestly, its about treating the car right and maintaining its longevity brutha ! Also sometimes referred to as "babying" but I don't see it as babying at all.
Just taking care of it and once properly warmed, driving the sh#it out of it ! I love the thing too much to drive it cold. I keep it in the garage. I open the garage door, start the thing and go in the house and let it get to 180.

But then again, its not my every day driver. Its my "therapy on wheels". Many out there may not have that type of luxury and they gotta get to where they gotta get to and like NOW. Like a JOB for instance....Me, I'm a Hyundai Guy for THAT

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #5

Garage
Thought it was also a bad idea also to let your car just idle for extended periods as the oil is not circulating properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiba View Post
Anything I can possibly think of. Honestly, its about treating the car right and maintaining its longevity brutha ! Also sometimes referred to as "babying" but I don't see it as babying at all.
Just taking care of it and once properly warmed, driving the sh#it out of it ! I love the thing too much to drive it cold. I keep it in the garage. I open the garage door, start the thing and go in the house and let it get to 180.

But then again, its not my every day driver. Its my "therapy on wheels". Many out there may not have that type of luxury and they gotta get to where they gotta get to and like NOW. Like a JOB for instance....Me, I'm a Hyundai Guy for THAT
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

blow up the motor and then leave it in the garage for 10 years due to lack of finances to repair. That will teach you to have restraint.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #7

For 10 minutes or so ? I don't THINK it would be a problem...maybe
someone can enlighten us though.

Quote:
"Thought it was also a bad idea also to let your car just idle for extended periods as the oil is not circulating properly?"

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #8

Or you could get a remote starter so you can easily warm it up before you drive it.

On a side note I feel sorry for your wife or gf in that you don't let it warm up before driving it hard lol
onefastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
Or you could get a remote starter so you can easily warm it up before you drive it.

On a side note I feel sorry for your wife or gf in that you don't let it warm up before driving it hard lol
haha.

I thought of the remote starter and did my research. But it seems they only make them for automatics.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #10

One can be too precious about this sort of thing, but my suspicion is that the heads are very fragile on these cars - especially the 3.2s in the 986, it seems - so the fear of cracking them due to not letting all the different metals warm up gradually is enough to make me warm the car up carefully.

Two extra things I'd say - all the guidance says you should start the car and move off immediately. Couple of reason I think - most wear happens when the engine is cold and it takes much longer to warm up idling. So you want a little load, but only a little. Also, remember the gearbox and other bits could do with warm up and that also happens must fast on the move.

The other thing is that the water gets to temp before the oil, so you should give it at least a couple more minutes once the water is at temp. I tend to limit to 3k until the water temp is fully up, then limit to 4k for a few minutes, then 5k for a few more and then I'm happy to pin the throttle. Whole process is probably at least 15 mins, maybe nearer 20.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #11

Block heater?
onefastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
1999 base

Garage
this is what you can do:
1. start the engine 15 minutes before you start driving it.
2. move to S Florida or S California (then you will have to wait only 5 minutes in summer 7 at winter)
3. grow old about 10-15 years.
4. start saving for new engine.

i did/do all of the above
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #13

In NJ you can get fined for letting you car sit and idle! But besides that, it's better for the engine to be warmed up while driving moderately. I block heater is actually a good idea. they make stick-on blanket types, which are recommended on race cars to reduce damage during start-up.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #14

Maybe you should replace your thermostat.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #15

His warm up times sound normal, doubtful the stat is faulty.

These cars have hefty quantities of water and oil. Takes a long time for them to fully warm through.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
His warm up times sound normal, doubtful the stat is faulty.

These cars have hefty quantities of water and oil. Takes a long time for them to fully warm through.
Bingo !!!!!!!!!!
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
Custom User Title Here

Garage
My manual says to not let it "warm up" idling. Not that I take off and redline it right away(I keep it under 3k rpm until warm), but I don't let it idle.

Just took it out after a wash...needle started moving after 6 blocks or a minute or so. It is about 85 degrees out, though.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Actually says that idling at start up to warm up is detrimental to engine.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
Ex Esso kid

It says to start the engine and drive it gently (may not use that exact word) but the idea is to drive it to warm it up but not to treat it as if it's already properly warmed. I don't idle it to warm it up however considering how many of these are in LA don't tell me that they are not sitting in traffic overheating, idling maybe daily; which has to be worse than idling till warm.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
Track rat

Garage
Patience is a virtue. Warming 9qts of oil takes time. You can use a block warmer or reptile warmer to keep it ready to go but running hard while cold will surely cause rapid wear and possible instant engine failure. Warming the car while idling loads up the cats with soot and kills them.